Skip to content

Bath time!

Does anyone else's bull terriers LOVE baths? Chico can't get enough of them! He waits at the bath before and after and I have to stop him from jumping back into the bath when it's over. I can't wait to take him to the lake next year to see if he likes that to.
IMAG3155.jpg
1836 x 3264 - 1M
IMAG3152.jpg
1836 x 3264 - 1022K
IMAG3149_1.jpg
1836 x 3264 - 479K
IMAG3146.jpg
1836 x 3264 - 1M

Comments

• I wish!.....
    It's a 2 person operation to shower my bt Nev.
    He is still afraid of water but slowly....slowly, he's getting there.

We just came back from the beach with him about an hour ago and he actually goes in the ocean but only for a paddle at ankle height.
    On returning home, my wife and i got everything ready to give him a scrub in the garden instead of the shower.
    Buckets of water with ACV, shampoo, cloth, towels etc...
    ....but he knew what was coming, and could we catch him ?.

Eventually I managed to grab him and clamp him in between my knees and put him into a head lock while my wife went into  full scale attack mode.

It felt like I was playing the referee at the clash of the titans...

Even now Nev is still giving me the Stinkeye .
    :)
    Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 12.39.42 PM.png
    473 x 467 - 386K
  • Mine loves water, e.g he will swim and RUN into the local dam and any puddle or lake we go anywhere near, he will run in and out of the sea.. but he HATES the rain, wont budge during a walk if rains and dislikes being washed, he likes the towling off bit but when he spots the shampoos he runs off. weirdo
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Most of my Bullies enjoy the comfort and relaxation of a bathing. If I don't shut the bathroom door completely when I'm showering you can bet that Rocky will sneak right in the shower with me.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited November 2016
    Many bullies don't like water coming "from above". Also they often don't like water in their ears. That pretty much explains the "rain panic" to me. :)
    Bathing is often not such a big deal. But of cause to every rule there are exceptions. :)

Our girl Djamila, who is not a fan of rain, will go outside and even take her time doing her business IN the rain, if wearing the rain coat and cap I've been sewing for her. Huge help!

She is not a huge fan of bathing either, although she loves hitting the pool. But we always make the time for body care and bathing a great experience for her, taking our time, praise, hugs and treats included. Afterwards she gets something to play with or dinner. So, all in all she knows good things are happening around bathing time - and that helps her to accept this and even nail clipping and stuff.

Our last EBT before was scared like crazy of bathing time and nail clipping. I did not know better at that time and thought the faster we're getting it over with the better for everyone.
    I was wrong.
    Just the other day I read about what I've learned the hard way myself: Dogs can experience such extreme stress, when being forced to or trying to comply in situations they are really uncomfortable with or when feeling pressured into something that they can not only faint during the process, they can even DIE from stress. No kidding.
    Our girl Fancy fainted once during nail clipping and scared the hell out of me.

EBTs often seem very robust, strong and stubborn. That can be deceiving when it comes to us realizing how fragile and sensitive their minds really are.
    This is why I love it so much to work with methods including "positive reinforcement". Not only do EBTs thrive with this kind of education. It also causes them a lot less stress than many other methods.
  • We have the sliding glass doors for our shower and if I don't close the bathroom door Chico will push the sliding door open to the shower and try catching the water!
  • Mine accepts a bath, but doesn't like to do it. She loves a mud puddle or gentle small stream. Today I took her to the beach. She ran along the wave edge with me, and a few waves even washed over her. But later in I tried to wash the sand off her in the ocean and she wouldn't go near the edge. She's great if she doesn't think about it (like when she's running next to me) orbif she isn't forced.
  • My BT has always loved baths every night when I take one if she isn't distracted she's in the tub with me. She loves the water from the hose and she has her own life jacket and would play in the lake or pool all day! It's really cute to see that tail as her rudder & and those paws just paddling away! She actually smiles she love playing in the water so much!!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @agnes0323. If you have some photos of those exploits we'd love to see them!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Just trying to relax  @-)
    IMAG3210.jpg
    1836 x 3264 - 1M
    IMAG3213.jpg
    1836 x 3264 - 1M
    IMAG3214_1.jpg
    1670 x 2611 - 299K
    IMAG3215.jpg
    1836 x 3264 - 922K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited November 2016
    Wonderful.. glad she enjoys it.... Marco loves his, Isabella would avoid them if she could (only because she hates water around her ears).... But they both LOVE the rub down after... (and the way they smell, I think).
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • The rub down is the BEST part - you got that right @philsergeant:)
    Djamila is going crazy over it every time.