Skip to content

Kangaroo meat.

Hi folks.
when i first got Nev, the breeder told me not to change his food and not to give him any supplements until he was 12 months old.
Approximately 6 weeks later, Nev had developed a minor yeast infection (front paws and one ear).
 He was eating raw beef mince and Purina supercoat puppy food with a little natural yoghurt.
I took him off the Purina and started him on TOTW Pacific stream puppy (GF)
 So far so good......
3 weeks pass and i notice a strong smell coming mostly from his breath, and a little through his skin.
It was a kinda metallic sort of smell, not yeasty smell. I kept checking inside his mouth but nothing looked out of the ordinary.
 The small yeast infection has gone from his ear but still visible in his nails.
I thought it may be the beef mince (human grade) that was making him smell, so 3 days ago i took him off the beef and replaced it with Kangaroo meat.
This stuff has nothing in it except Kangaroo meat + organs crushed bone etc..
 The smell from Nev has gone almost over night and he loves it.
Because the Roo meat has no preservatives in it, i do have to cook it before he gets it.
 I cook it in the oven with Kent pumpkin and then pulp the pumpkin and mix it with the roo.

The lady who sold me the roo meat is a dog nutritionist at the local Uni, she told me to mix 50-50 pumpkin and meat.
I don't know if it sounds a bit excessive with that much pumpkin...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Also, does anybody else out there feed there bully on kangaroo ?
Yeah, i know it's probably not easy to obtain outside of Australia...(smiley)

Cheers....Neil
PS..................Does anybody use "Filtabac" sunscreen on their dogs ?

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I use a kibble for Isabella called California Naturals.. its GF and it's based on Roo meat (see you do export something :(( ) ... I should get back to giving pumpkin, they love it and our passed Bullie had it as a staple. We use sunscreen when we take them to the beach... don't know that brand though.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks Phil,
    I've backed off a little with the pumpkin. Instead of a 50-50 mix of meat and pumpkin which the kind lady advised me to give him, I now give him approx 70% meat and 30% mix of pumpkin, broccoli, green beans and carrot for his dinner. I give him 2 cups of kibble with supplements for his breakfast.

Yesterday i tried the Filtabac sunscreen on Nev. It sounds like a good product but it does contain a small amount of zinc,  it's quite thick which makes it a pain in the butt to wash off but it does do a good job of keeping the sun burn away.
    Cheers....Neil
  • A dog nutritionist? Is she a vet?
  • A certified dog nutritionist.
    Does it mean she's a vet ? I dunno, but i doubt it.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Sounds like a certified dog nutritionist is a roo catcher, right Neil??
    :((
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I wonder why she had recommended 1) pumpkin and 2) in that proportion.
  • Hi Jbird,
    She advised me to mix the roo with sweet potato until i told her that my dog had a small yeast infection.
    After i mentioned the above, she told me to go with pumpkin.
     The reason for my first post....I was concerned about the amount of pumpkin.

If my dog would not have been alone in my car at the rear of the store, i would have asked more questions.
    I will be seeing the same lady again in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can give me a few pointers on what to ask her ?.

• Hey Phil,
    No more roo shooting over here mate.
    Apparently, it's cheaper to import from Queensland. 
  • @neil
    I'm far from an expert on dogs. But I have spent 4 years at uni completing a bachelor of dieteics (medical nutrition) and spent 6 years working as a dietitian in various hospitals and other practices. So when topics come up on dog nutrition I parallels with human nutrition interesting. I can often see the logic in what people are feeding their dogs, and common misperceptions (that seem to parallel misperceptions in human nutrition).
  • roo meat is very good quality (contains all amino acids, and is very lean, contains little fat). In humans a 50 protein 50 carbs (sweet potato) helps with mass gaining (muscle growth). Carbs spare muscle (protein) breakdown. There are some little evidenced schools of thought that carbs contribute to thrush (or overgrowth of Candida albicans). I've worked with various doctors and patients on this.it is not well evidenced, but some new research being done. We cut the carbs (such as swap sweet pot to pumpkin which had a lot less carbs) for a 1 month trial, while the patient takes probiotics (to recolonise the tracts with beneficial bacteria).
  • So if this is along the lines the dog nutritionist is thinking, then I would be asking about probiotics. Here, I would be wondering how much study has been done on beneficial v's pathological bacteria strains in dogs. Surely they can't be the same as in humans. Had said that, I find it fascinating how many parallels there are between human and dog physiology and nutrition.
  • Yeah, I'm just interested in what her exact qualifications are (bachelors and post grad courses) and the why's of what she reccomends. Also, if you could ask her what she reccomends regarding coconut oil (as discussed in other posts )