Skip to content

Help me understand my bullies behaviour

I take my 8 month bullie to an off the leash dog park about 3 times a week. Even if I run her before hand she has a hell a lot of energy (and excitement) as soon as we get there. I take her off the leash outside the park then let her in. She bounds with excitement to any random dog, tail wagging a million miles an hour, licking its face and jumping up on them orrolling around on her back with a dog on top of her. Few dogs are as excited as she, most have less energy.
About 5 different times, other dogs have been very snappy at her. Once a staffy singled her out and was very aggressive (we left the second It started). Today 3 larger dogs (a shepherd she usually plays with, and an unknown Doberman and Dalmatian) packed together and were really picking on her. She was rolling around on her back, tail wagging, but the three were digging in having their snaps. We left within a few minutes of getting there.
Sometimes, it seems like my bullie seems to bring the worse out in other dogs. Maybe her energy challenges the dominance in other dogs, but she displays so many submissive behaviours. Maybe her behaviour is just rude. I'm not sure. She's never retaliated, growled or snapped back.
If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I afraid to say that, unfortunately, too many dogs are brought up by arseholes. Her behavior at the dig park should be well accepted by all, but is rejected by insecure dogs... it is hard to find a dog park frequented by confident dogs... don't blame it on her... you will need to find a smaller group of better oriented dogs... long play sessions, hikes, etc.... if you keep mixing her with arsehole dogs she will eventually start behaving badly herself.... ( hey! Much like humans! )...don't let peasants bother you... they know not what they do....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yeah, I think I will go at times where there are less dogs ( around 3 in total at the park; seems problems occur when there are 7 or so) and set up dates with known friendly dogs.

Such a sweet girl, got bullied at the park and seemed depressed afterwards. We went at a quiet time today with a few happy puppies and she had a ball.

Do bullies ever calm down? I suspect that her bouncy playful puppyness attracts unwanted aggression.
  • I have the same problem with young Nev.
    I get sick of him getting flattened by unsociable dogs with arsehole owners who can't even be bothered to get out of their cars at the dog park. They just open the car door and let 'em go for it.

I actually gave some bloke a fair serve today on the dog beach who was completely ignoring the fact that his his mutt was snarling and snapping at anything that went near it. But what did it for me, was watching him turn his back when his dog took a crap at the side of a young woman who had 2 kids with her. 
     They were just sat on the beach watching the dogs and up comes stinky who just crouches beside them,
    His owner just turned his back and pretended not to see it.
     I couldn't help but open my gob and give him a blast.
    ( Love the peasant comment Phil).
    :))
  • I have a slightly different problem in that there arent any real dog parks here and the local Thais because of his unusual breed seem to be terrified of him so the few i see with dogs, will cross over and avoid us or openly show their dislike for him. The street dogs tend to be feral in packs and not have any jabs so i dont really let him mix with them, i feel he misses out on the interatction with other dogs sometimes.
  • We have no dog friendly parks here...small town I live in...I am sure no one here has even seen BT...my husband had never seen one until Steves huge Rocky climbed up in his lap....he fell in love right then...on the way home my husband said we need us a big baby like Rocky...yep we do I said....we working on doing just that now...waiting on that baby.