Skip to content

Something's fishy...

Hey, I'm Hannah!
I have a Bull Terrier named Darla. She is overall heathy and she is a year and 5 months.
I'm very new to this breed, I usually have Goldens. So this is why I'm joining this website to keep up with her and what to do if something comes up, as for that...there is something I've noticed about her. Her (sometimes) fishy smell. I googled it, of course, and she doesn't rub herself on the carpet and her stools are normal. We tried to relieve her glands but no luck...they didn't seem swollen...I want to avoid the vet if I can. But being a pregnant woman I CAN NOT stand the smell. It's only every once an awhile...but when it's there it's FOUL. Could it be something else? Such as food? Does this happen often with these dogs or all dogs? Any advise as to get rid of the fishy smell?! Please help...lol

Comments

• Also, she literally farts like a human....I don't know if that's a normal thing...I imagine so. But they are also very raunchy.
  • All dogs fart

As for the fish smell she could have a bladder infection etc and that might require a trip to the vet

Why do you want to avoid the vet ?
  • I know all dogs fart. It was meant to be a funny comment more than anything. She is just one of a kind when it comes to her farts. If I can help her I don't need a vet. But if it's a bladder infection obviously can't help that.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2016
    I am proud to say I own the only two Bullies in the world that don't fart.  (I am sure they do, but it is very infrequent and hardly noticeable)... I think it comes down to the diet mostly.
    Regarding swollen anal sack.
    It is most prevalent in females, often worsened by a no-so-good spaying (well what's a good spaying?)...
    If the swelling is really bad then you can have it expressed manually... but if only medium it's hard to get "the rest".  The worse the swelling the worse the smell and I am not sure it's just "more" or "badder".  Best solution is to add ruffage to diet.  We add a good, really good shake of Oregano to each meal.  If the stools are "hard" that causes the "fish" oil to be discharged with each poop... slowing build up... if too soft it builds up.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • A healthy dog does not smell. Sometimes they do a little when wet. But in general smell is a sign that something is not right.
    To me the fishy smell still points to the anal glands not evacuating sufficiently. The dog does not necessarily feel discomfort. That usually happens when the glands become infected, because of the bacteria boiling and infection developing in the overly filled glands.

To avoid this the fact glands need to be emptied manually. Otherwise things can develop into a situation that does not resolve on its own and causes your dog a lot of pain.
    Usually the discharge from the anal glands is almost clear and does not smell a lot.
    When collecting in the glands and not being evacuated in time bacteria start their work and when the secretion eventually evacuates, it has a brown color and leaves that nasty striking rotten and fishy smell - not normal.
    If you don’t really know how to empty your dog’s glands, I am afraid there is no other way than seeing a vet. Because this may not resolve on its own. The vet can teach you how to do it yourself in the future, in case your dog is prone to problems with the glands.

If your dog’s anal glands do not evacuate on their own, that could either be a general problem. Some dogs just have that.
    But the additional fact that your dog also seems to fart a lot to me points to problems in the nutrition. Farting is not unusual in dogs, as it is not in humans. But when happening on a frequent basis that points to problems.
    There could be a general problem with the food. Maybe it makes the stools too soft, maybe it upsets the stomach or builds too much gas during digestion.
    Whatever it is, you should try and look into it, because your dog may seem finde, but with being bloated all the time and having his anal glands not emptied he can’t feel fine in the long run.

Which food do you feed him? Does he get a supplement? Does he get probiotics?
    How often does he do his number 2’s a day? Does he have soft stools or hard ones? What’s the color?
    These are probably questions, a vet will ask either, because that tells a lot about your dog’s digestion.
  • Oh, philsergeant was faster. I'm posting on my phone. :) But we agree on possible causes. Seems to be something to it.
  • Yeah, there is something off. I know dogs fart but it's just not normal. In the last couple of days I think she is suffering from constipation...she eats a Turkey and Barley, natural formula made by purina...it's supposed to be easy digestible. I made an appointment for the Vet. I think some fiber and changing her food is in the near future.
  • Darla and I thank you for your help.
  • Hi there Miss-Fit.
    The Purina turkey and barley has got a very high grain content.
    Make the switch to grain free diet.
    Lots of great advice on this forum.
     I give my dog a spoonful of natural yogurt on his meal twice a day.
    He's as regular as clockwork and no stink. 
    :)
  • That's what I tried to do. It says wheat, corn, and soy free. So I thought for sure it didn't have Grain. Guess I will look more into it next time. She's had these problems since we've got her - so just trying to do what's best for my fur-baby!
  • What a good idea about the yogurt! I have that almost everyday for myself.
    edited October 2016
    Purina is crap
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Barley is a cereal grain, so it seems their packaging is somewhat misleading.  My girl had loose stools and I had to deal with her anal glands until I switched her food, and she had already been eating a grain free variety.  She usually did the anal gland thing while sitting on my lap!  

I buy Victor Brand grain free food at the local feed store.  They are really helpful there; someone has carried the bag out to my car before I can pay for it.  It's so much easier than wrestling it in and out of a shopping cart.  And when I was switching foods, they gave me small sample bags of several different brand and types.  It was good knowing that she would like the food before buying a bag of it.  I don't know if other feed stores do the same.  Ours is locally owned and I like to shop local when I can.    
  • Purina is crap

;) Nice one Phil.

It's kinda like trying to run an Aston Martin on low octane fuel with a bit of paint thinners thrown in.
    We live in horse country so there are lots of farm stores around here.... none of them sound as good as yours though... but then,..it's Florida, what can you expect.
  • edited October 2016
    Little Birdie had a yeast infection of her girlie parts.  Her vulva is a a little inverted, and the vet advised the most horrible surgery to correct it and to stop the yeast infection.  I did some reading and thought perhaps a lower carb diet would help.  I noticed that Victor had recently introduced a grain free low carb kibble, so I asked for it at the feed store. They didn't have it but offered to order it or some samples for me.  I needed food so I bought the usual, but they are really nice there!

I had been keeping on top of the yeast infection by cleaning the area every day and then dabbing on some apple cider vinegar, so there was no way she was having a horrible wee-wee surgery.  And I think it might only to be a problem during the summer.  It started when the weather got hot, and now it appears to be almost gone.

This is how Birdie felt after hearing the vet's verdict.  
    Birdie1.jpg
    1936 x 1936 - 1M
    Poor child!!!!! Her coat looks fantabulous. Look to what's giving her the yeast in the first place... any of her foods contain' potato, sweat potato... anything with sugar?
  • Right ... and her food does contain sweet potato, which is why I was looking for something low carb.  But I think I really am going to get to skate on this until next summer.  I just broke her out of jail where she did 4 days of hard daycare time. (Because she was actually not welcome at a weekend with Neil Young, can you imagine?)  Anyway, her girlie parts weren't treated during that time and there is no sign of yeast.
  • When I brought the two pups home the female had a bit of a yeasty odor in her urine

I switched her to a diet I have had good luck with and a probiotic and it cleared up fast

I use a good kibble base currently (Fromme) and a mixture of cottage cheese , beef or chicken , rice ,, egg and a Gelatin from Great Lakes

Their coats are like silk and their stool is firm
  • She gets the kibble mixed with meat (chicken, venison, elk) and cottage cheese and a daily NuVet tablet. I switched the cottage cheese to yogurt when this started but after about 6 weeks she refused to eat it. So we are back to cottage cheese. Which probiotic do you use?
  • I've used everything in years past from stuff I took from JBN.com to this stuff from my vet which is a Purina product.... their food sucks by I've used these

I don't give all the time

• Photoimage
    IMG_0482.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • im not just saying this as one of those blinkered owners but mine NEVER farts and never has a doggy odour, only time he smelt of anything really was when he had a yeast infection and then he smelt of stale beer lol.

He doesnt know what a fart is to the degree that without being to graphic, if i erm........ let one out he comes to examine what this strange smell was and sits by me tail wagging.
  • We are at the vet as we speak! :)
    She's getting all fixed up. No yeast infection, just swollen glands.