Skip to content

Some kind of bite?

Was taking Quinn for a walk today when I noticed what I thought was a large scab on the back of her left hind leg. Squeezed it a little, felt soft, she didn't care. But when I did squeeze it it seemed like it wasn't all the way on and I could see some pink spots underneath.

Got her home and got a wet paper towel to wash the spot. When I started to wet it and gently rub (in one direction), her top layer of skin came off. Now she has a very large pink spot of flesh (not angry, but...like new skin) that I have since cleaned again, put antiseptic ointment on, and wrapped. The spot is raised.

Looking online, symptoms of a spider bite seem more severe. Her personality and activity (or lack thereof) have not changed. She didn't yelp while I was cleaning the wound. She didn't really like it but she let me take care of it pretty easily.

Anyone had anything like this and know what it was/what it might be? And how should I treat it, covered (could that cause the infection to fester)? Or uncovered?

I don't want it to get too serious since it is near a joint. :/
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2016
    I take it that the first image is how you found it and the second after you cleaned it up? If that's the case it looks like an outbreak. ,.... typically the initial appearance is a sticky mess. Is that what you initially found?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @Quinnofhearts
    If have no idea, what exactly it could be, but maybe I can help with this, if you did not know that already:
    If the big spot is fleshy (upper skin layers missing), I would probably try to keep the spot perfectly disinfected and clean in order to avoid an additional inflammation from infections with bacteria etc.

There are hydrocolloid patches available (originally made for humans) in various sizes that are very good to cover larger open areas of skin that would otherwise stick to conventional dressing materials and build crusts that rip away when the dressing is replaced.
    Hydrocolloidal patches were originally invented to cover burn wounds and such. They create a moist environment and a physical bacteria barrier, helping weeping wounds to heal better.
  • Yes, Phil, the first picture was how I found it. All of that pretty much just wiped off and then I was left with the pink patch.

I did try to keep it clean and treated with ointment, but it didn't seem to improve how I wanted it to so I did end up taking her to the vet. That was last Wednesday. Vet said she had developed a pretty significant infection so they cleaned it out, put some treatment on it and wrapped it. Quinn is still on her antibiotics and has topical spray now. The vet's best guess was some kind of insect bite, probably a spider. So I didn't really get an answer. I guess that's why they call it "practicing" medicine.

Good to know about the hydrocolloidal patches though. Lord knows Quinn will probably get herself into something later down the line. Will definitely keep in mind!