Skip to content

Negative Comments?

As a fairly new bully owner, 1st one and he is 7 months, has anyone else had any other issues or comments about their dogs. Today for the first time i had 2 comments walking him on the beach/street.
Firstly i was on the beach, Arrow was on leash and another person dog, small yappy thing, came over off leash. I told Arrow to sit and he did and the other dog cam up and showed his teeth, still no reaction from my dog other than looking at me. I attempted to walk away as i can see if Arrow loses his temper this mutt wouldnt stand a chance, still no aggression from mine. As he gets up to walk off this thing bit his tail, worried about his reaction i told him to sit an again he does and no negative reaction from Arrow. This dog (whos owner still hadnt bothered to walk over) beared his teeth again and went in for round two to which Arrow litterly pawed him away, almost like a punch lol sending him tumbling away. At this point its owner comes over shouting that my dog ho is still stitting on leash attacked hers. I just ignored her and walked off, proud of my dog for not reacting.

On the way back i go to the local 7/11 shop, i buy him a drink and we are sitting on the step outside, with plenty of space to exit the shop and a woman actually refuses to leave the shop till we move cause "he looks viscous" . 

Not experienced any of these before, anyone else had similar :)
sorry for long post

Comments

• People in general are ignorant to all things dog and only want to perceive what they want to perceive .... you can't fix stupid

I have kept many of the large badly stigmatized dogs out there and I have found that people just do not know what they do not know

So regretfully you can't educate them

It is fantastic that you have proper control of your dog but if I may suggest instead of making him sit when an unleashed dog is agitating him remove him from the situation

I have made my dogs sit and stay under control when around other leashed dogs that are under control and that is good basic obiedence but there are to many variables when dealing with another unleashed dog

All it takes is for your dog to get hit once while he is sitting and minding you for him to learn that he does not want to be in a static position when being approached by an unleashed dog showing aggression

In a situation like that I would walk away asking the other person to get their dog under control if the other dog pursues it's their fault and not yours if it does escalate

Hope that makes sense
  • it
    does make sense so thank you fore reply and if this was on the street i would of walked away,
    particularly as in Thailand there is a big stray dog problem and they
    can be viscous pack dogs, i actually walk him with a stick and have no problems waiving it at the viscous mutts like a mad foreigner.

As it was the beach i did not want the
    situation to escalate and have some large drunk tourist/local who
    doesn't speak English wade in on me as the one with the bigger dog not having seen
    what has gone on before hand.

In
    fairness he was not agitated and the paw away was more of a play
    gesture, he is so soppy that he thinks everything is a game but i do
    understand given enough provocation ANY dog, can snap without warning
    and also aware  he will grow into a powerful dog capable of hurting things and himself....

thanks for the feedback. it is a shame, i would love him to be stroked
    and have more interaction with people and other pet dogs, not the
    strays, as i think he will be more rounded but because of the language
    barrier i cant really explain fully he is ok to approach. To me he just
    looks like a handsome dog with a funny shaped head and big ears and
    goofy looking, not mean :)

• Well, there is a bad image surrounding bull terriers, pitbulls and similar, and you can feel how the prejudice translates into actions (such as crossing the street) or comments. And they don't even distinguish between breeds, confusing pitbulls, staffordshire bull terrier, english bull terriers, american bully. I don't know if this is the same everywhere, I live in Peru, and here there are a lot of comments.

I hear things like, "ohh this is a killer dog", this is the dog that bite and don't stop until you die, and parents telling their kids to step away from the mean dog (I hate those, they are building these stereotypes, instead of telling them don't bother some stranger's dogs). Then there are comments as it looks like a pig, what an ugly dog.

The media, and some bad owners contribute to increase the bad dog fame. Sometimes I bother to tell them that they should read about them (they don't bother but at least I try), sometimes I restrained myself from telling them you're the ugly one, or ignorance is going to kill you. I don't like it because I'm a responsible owner, who had her dog trained and socialized since she was a puppy, who always walks her on a leash, and my dog is quiet and obeys, and knows that she's not going to attack while someone from the family is with her.

Sharing you an image found in Pictoline, is in spanish, and about pitbulls, but applies for bull terriers, and other breeds with bad fame too. Here is the translation:

Maybe, there is no breed as estigmatized as pitbulls.
    Bad press has given them the fame of dangerous dogs.
    But this is further from the truth, pitbulls are constantly ranked as one of the less aggresive breeds.
    In fact, according collected data about dog aggresiveness the most combative dog is the chiguagua

.facebook_1475160969422.jpg
    800 x 977 - 100K
  • Get him out of bad situations especially if he is a puppy

All it takes is one bad interaction when he is little if he gets hurt he will grow to learn to give it before he gets it

• Here in the U.K. The staff bull terrier is so common that people are less inclined to be frightened as literally every other family own one! EBT though are less common. People often crossed over the road when I had my old EBT. An old chap once hit him with his walking cane! So rude. As long as we as owners are responsible we can hold our heads high and be proud of our dogs.
  • edited October 2016
    Back in Germany the situation in terms of "dangerous breeds" is horrible. I am living in the U.S. now but I am still following developments over there. Legislation and a lot of the people are absolutely opposed to different breeds - which also includes the Bull Terrier.
    We and our dog have even been threatened by a man that he will kill our dog, just because we walked her in the woods back there.

I am wondering over and over again that this seems to have become a global issue and still try to find an explanation for that development.

Here in the U.S. however, despite being categorized as a "dangerous breed", the worst thing I've heard about my Bull Terrier girls so far was "that's a face only a mother can love" - and it even came out laughing.
    I think it's a good thing that here restrictions are applied on a "case by case" basis, in contradiction to the example Germany where in many counties some breeds just are under generalized suspicion and owning them is harshly restricted in some places up to being completely prohibited.

The Pit Bull is in a much worse situation than the Bull Terrier at least here in Florida regarding reputation, which seems to make the Bull Terrier the lucky breed.

But that does not make things any better for me, because while not under generalized suspicion by law here in Florida, these dogs are under generalized suspicion by the people, which in the end makes no difference and is just not fair.

Rarely in those discussions I ever see people pointing at the human race itself, who is actually causing all of those problems by neglect, careless actions, drilling dogs to become aggressive, keeping them only as status symbols - the list goes on.

So, while my Bull Terrier causes excited "Spuds Mackenzie" cries all the time here, that can't stop the entire matter from still giving me a sour aftertaste.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Touché. Djammy
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • So i was walking with Nev on the beach yesterday.
    A woman comes straight up to me and says.."Your dog is so cute, he looks like a pig" while she rubbed the top of his head.
    She caught me off guard and i just laughed and said thank you.

As i walked away, i couldn't help but think that one of her children looked more like a pig than my dog.
    I was wondering how much offence she would have taken if i had actually said it.

:D
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Water off a duck's back... take it from whence it comes... there are so many expressions that describe the ignorant attitudes of silly people that could never understand the beauty of a bull terrier ... in South Africa Bullies are popularly known, and loved, as 'vark-honds" or 'pig dogs"... pigs are lucky to look like our babies... shake the dust from your feet and walk away
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I would have replied with "That's a great comparison, SIR."  :))

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com