Skip to content

My seven month old Spaze

I have a male white bull terrier he is having red skin bloches all over his body I just this past sunday changed his fool I was feeding him IAMS puppy food and now I have switch him to taste of the wild grain free when should I begin to see results?  What if this doesnt work what else can I try?
spaze.JPG
2592 x 1936 - 3M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited April 2013
    I'm confident you'll see results very fast by switching his diet. Iams is high in grain and chances are the skin allergies you see are caused from his diet. However, not all skin allergies are caused from food. Some Bull Terriers are born with issues brought on by genetic disorders coming from the parents. Often young Bull Terriers grow so quick and while their immune system is still developing they are susceptible to many ailments associated with skin problems. It isn't uncommon to see young Bullies with hot spots or localized demodectic mange due to the lack of immune system maturity. Most often these ailments dissipate and go away all together as they mature and the immune system has the capabilities to counter mange mites, accept different elements in their diet to include grain, and balance their system to fight off common infections and ailments. Each dog is different and some require little to no special attention. However, with any Bull Terrier it is always wise to offer them the best possible diet and exercise regime as possible. Even stress can cause a dogs immune system to drop creating a higher probability to sustain problematic skin disorders. I can't begin to tell you how many bull Terriers I've seen around the ages of 7 months to 20 months that had hot spots or localized mange due to low immune system maturity. Usually these spots show up on the center of the head and/or mid portion of the tail leaving a bald hard spot. I've also seen many Bull Terriers with thinning coats covered with reddened bald spots especially around the feet where they tend to lick raw. Most Vets (unfamiliar with the breed) will be happy to prescribe medications and drugs which do little to solve and correct the problem.

My advice to you is to stick with the TOTW food and add a good supplement that will help with his immune system. I use NuVet which is proven to have fantastic results. I'm confident in a short period of time you'll see Spaze looking better and better until his condition becomes a thing of the past. Please take the time to read our "Bull Terrier Nutrition" page for detailed information on our recommendations for a well balanced diet that's been extremely productive for many years.

Please keep me updated on his progress.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I believe it's 90% the diet but also watch out for treats or other tidbits that could contain something, not just grain, that could set him off ( we accept the treats they offer the babies at bank & Starbucks drivethroughs to be polite, but toss them out as we drive off)
    It makes them miserable too and one spray you might try and get that helps A LOT, is made by GlenHaven Therapeutics, its called " Benasoothe Conditioner" it reduces itch and inflammation .. And it's not a cream, that they lick off, it's a spray and if you keep his mouth away while it dries, he'll pay it no heed. I think it's OTC but might have to get the vet at Petsmart or something to write it up.... Try online... Never know.
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 216K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • thank you very much for both comments I will try your suggestions but I also noticed he has a lot of little pimples in his private area would you think this is also an allergic reaction and or from his diet? 

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I can only assume it's all part of the same issue causing skin problems. I'm confident a good diet and supplement to help his immune system will do a world of good.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • His skin looks really really bad. He needs to be on grain free food right away. If it doesn't clear up hes going to need to have his skin evaluated by a vet.
    And please don't leave us without feedback/ and pictures of the improvement... we'd love to know what worked best.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Spaze, 6 weeks later, has there been any improvement? Can you share what has worked for you?,