Skip to content

Running with my bully

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but have enjoyed reading the threads. I am a new and very proud owner of an EBT. She is 6.5 months old, and 55 ib (26kg). I have never worked with a puppy or an EBT. I was wondering if it was ok for her growth to run with her? We have been going for 35 minute 5km runs. I hope to build up to 10-20km runs with her when she is ready. Is it ok to run with her at this age, and at what age can I increase the distance.

She seems to love the adventures!! Particularly the mud puddles! At first she looked absolutely stuffed, so I shortened the runs to 20 mins, but now we are back up to 35 mins. She does sleep ALOT before and after the runs.
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2016
    Oh my Gawd! She is a beauty!  I had to hide my computer screen in case my Marco caught a glimpse of her... He'd be running all the way!  I have never had much luck running Bullies so you are doing well.
    (But then again I am not a big runner, my wife is, but ours will run around the yard and play for hours but, down the street... no).... I would take advantage of her willingness but monitor her feet and her comfort with the exercise.. Don't drain her, Bullies don't like the heat much so I am sure she will enjoy runs at cool times better... Please keep posting... Welcome.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yeah, she's a brilliant runner. She heels at my side most of the way. I do let her deviate by about 10 metres to sniff and stuff. We mainly run in a forest and off leash.
  • Some pics I took today
    image.jpeg
    1747 x 2204 - 450K
    image.jpeg
    1610 x 2409 - 497K
  • Went running today, and wet her at the creeks we crossed to keep her cool.
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Just take care not to run on asphalt or concrete

• Are you referring to not running on hot asphelt? She's quite scared of cars so I run with her in the forest along fire trails. It's a funny thing, I'm not sure if I should keep her away from cars (so she stays scared, and if she got out she would be scared off the roads) or if I should walk her on footpaths alongside roads so she knows where she should be walking if she ever got out. I don't believe she has any road sense.
  • Any hard surface like asphalt of concrete will cause problems to their joints in latter years

Stick to the trails and soft terrain

I even used to run my dogs when short of time behind a 4 wheeler on trails around my house

If I did not have time to hike the path which is about a 45 minute or longer loop we would hammer it on the four wheeler in 15 minutes or less

It bums me out when I see someone running a dog on the sidewalk or road

They think they are helping the dog but in reality they are not
  • Cool, I prefer the forests anyway!
  • Me too :)

IMG_0411.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Alright, alright already... We know you live in Paradise for heavens sake! You can stop rubbing it in! We can't all be so lucky :> Now you've got two wonderful Bullies it going to make even more perfect, we know, we know, boo hoo ;)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • lol, funny! Looks very lovely.
  • Thanks. I don't really know much about what makes a good looking bullie. We chose her because we liked her accentuated head profile. Her father won the Australian ROM award in 2014 at the national titles for the best of the breed. But what I like the most is that she had a brilliant temperament. She just loves other dogs and people. Even at the dog park, if there is a cranky dog she doesn't get worked up. She just stays the same happy dog and eventually stops trying to play with them. Lol. Thank goodness she's not at all aggressive, because I have little experience with dogs. I do take her to dog training every Saturday, and read heaps to try and understand the world of a dog.