Skip to content

I chose not to tape my dogs ears... Was that a mistake?

I have a beautiful bull terrier, Rex, who just had his first birthday in July. He is AKC registered and has been signed off on as healthy by 3 different vets, however he has "fat" ears. I was told when I got him that they weren't sure his ears would ever stand upright. I tried taping them when I first got him, and fed him Knox gelatin as well, but he hated having his ears taped so much that I couldn't stand putting him through it. It never got any better even after more than 2 and 1/2 weeks of taping and following everything I read online. I eventually decided that I love my baby for who he is and I don't care if he has floppy ears, now I'm wondering if I made a poor choice. Here is my Rexer (see photos,) I know his ears don't fit the breed standard but I still think he is beautiful and perfect and it doesn't really bother me. I guess I'm just curious if there's anyone else out there with a "fat" eared bully who chose not to tape their ears. I don't plan to show him, he's just my fur baby, I honestly love him the way God made him, I'm just curious how other bully people feel on the issue of ear taping. Is it worth it if it makes your dog miserable?
image.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M
image.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M
image.jpeg
2576 x 1932 - 1M
image.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Perky ears are for us... As long as he can hear and is responsive to sounds coming from behind him.... Then all he wants is what he obviously has, to be happy and loved (and fed).

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If it doesn't make any difference to you by the way his ears look whether they are up or down than it's no big deal. Many people prefer the ears up because that's the standard look and appearance of a Bull Terrier just like it is with other breeds like Great Danes, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Boxers, etc.

If your Bull Terrier was greatly bothered by the ear taping training chances are you initiated the process when he was older in age than the normal time frame of ear taping. As a puppy gets older they will surely become more persistent about removing the tape from their ears just like they would if the puppy had never worn a collar. However, taping the ears from an early stage around 8 - 14 weeks old you'll find that the puppy will quickly get used to the tape and have no issues with it especially if the tape was applied correctly. The tape is no different than putting a band-aid or ace bandage on a child and causes no pain or discomfort. An older puppy may not like the feeling of something on their ears. Some people often use a head cone just to prevent the dog from scratching at the tape. I don't think any dogs enjoy the head cones either.

But if you have no intentions to show your Bull Terrier I wouldn't worry about whether his ears never stood just as long as he's happy and healthy. From the looks of him I think he's as happy as can be.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Tried so many times to get my boy "Scamper's" ears to stand up but could never make it happen. None the less, no issues and wouldn't trade him for anything!
    image.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 125K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Are you certain he didn't follow too closely behind one of those road marking machines... What with those white stripped lines down his head/ snout... Gorgeous... Pity about the ears, but, he doesn't give a poop.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Also a floppy ear mommy and they have a special place in my heart. Look like he got loads of personality and that is what counts.