Skip to content

Hives? Allergic reaction?

This afternoon I noticed several red bumps on Lunas nose. They appeared out of no where. She didn't eat anything to my knowledge. I gave her 25mg of Benadryl to help with it. And it seems to have gotten worse and spread. Some on her paws too it seems that she's licking them a lot. Attached is a picture of her nose and face and the puffy redness. Any suggestions?
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 1M

Comments

• She's also in her first heat. She has been licking her butt aggressively, I wasn't sure if this was what I've read about them being excessively clean sometimes during their heat or if something else may be going on. Unfortunately my current vet isn't knowledgable about BTs
  • She has now developed spots on her body
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2016
    That's a sudden outbreak... Unless her intake or meds has changed drastically in the last week then there must be something external bothering her... By intake I mean ANYTHING that she could be getting, food, treats, meds, the works... So study that. If not, then study where she has been, any new bedding, anything in her environment that could be causing this... Grass, poison ivy .. { there's tons of that here in FL}.... Pesticides, fertilizers.... Be Sherlock Bullie for a day or so, uncover the culprit. At a stretch it [if all else eliminated] might be something emotional.  What's CHANGED?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Here is an update. Took her to the vet yesterday. They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Gave her the steroid shot and told me to continue the Benadryl. She got better by the time I got off work and took her home. Let her play a bit with the other dogs and when we got home have her more Benadryl and fed her. Bumps came back on her nose and also hives on her body. By midnight she was looking fairly bad again. Mainly red all over her body. This morning she was up early and ansy with 3 hours to wait for more Benadryl. I took her out to pee several times. Came back in and gave her Benadryl waited about 20min and fed her. During her food she stopped eating it and almost instantly looked worse. More hives showing, where as before she was very red all over. Now she has physically more hives showing. I think it's the food, maybe she's allergic now to beef? Ugh waiting till my vet opens today then taking her in as soon as I can. Attached is the food i feed her.
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 406K
  • Have you opened a new bag of the usual food that would coincide with this?  I am with philsargeant -- something is different and is triggering this.   
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It is hard to recommend changing from a good food that he has eaten [for a while?]. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with Acana. If it were me I'd go off the red meat, unless that particular bag is contaminated. Acana have a Heritage free-range Poultry I believe.... And I also think it's grain-free. It's either a rapid food change, [as quickly as you can blend it in] or an exhaustive set of allergy tests. If she doesn't want to eat it's probably the food.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I had her on a different chicken food prior and I think it was either too bland (healthy stuff) for her, or she has a poultry allergy. As every morning she would have green goop in her eyes. Since I changed her food and stopped feeding her baked chicken which I blended into the kibble she has cleared up from that. She is eating the mackerel food I it for her and loves it like the other one. However she is on medication and I guess I'll have to see how she comes out after he meds stop. There's soooo many variables it's hard to narrow it down. I don't want to feed her the other food after to find out if that's what it was, but I hate not really knowing if it was that or a spider bite, or something topical she came into contact with. So frustrating, but she is doing soooo much better now with the help of the meds.