Skip to content

Skin issues

Hi all

My mostly white bull terrier has been having skin issues for the past two months.

His feet are quite red with some small hotspots, a bit rashly on his nose and ears and a small patch on his belly.

The vet did a skin scrape to rule out mites. He went on a round of antibiotics and it cleared up nicely. Then after a few weeks it came back worse. I officially moved him to a completely raw diet 9 days ago. One protein and nothing else. He is on strictly turkey for now. I went back to the vet a week ago and they suggested a less common protein like kangaroo. The location that I get his current turkey from , has lamb liver mixed with the kangaroo because of border issues. They suggested I stick with the turkey for at minimum six weeks and it is normal to see them get worse before better. We are going to stick it out so I'm not changing him all the time.

I rub an organic healing balm on to his sore spots and he is extremely mellow and calm so that seems to be working.

He goes for two good walks a day. One in a forest near my house and the other around the neighbourhood. The vet thinks he might have an environmental allergy to grass but food is the most probable and even if he didn't have these challenges, im completely sold on the raw. His coat is so incredibly soft and silkier than it ever has been.

He is six months old now and a complete joy. I just want him to have the very best health and be the best dog mom.

I know there have been a number on of posts on this topic and saw there was a post on candida cleanse. No one I've talked to has heard of it. Is this available in Canada? Has anyone had success with it?

Comments

• I forgot. I also include a probiotic with his raw food and a teaspoon of herring oil on the advice of the raw food store and Internet research.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Please, more details, photos...where do you live, what environment he experiences ...bathing... As much as you can tell us, the better.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I'll take some photos in the morning.
    I live in Southwestern Ontario.
    No other pets in the house.
    No medical issues until four months.
    We have an off leash forest close to home. Issues started before I started taking him there so it doesn't appear to be an environmental condition resulting from there.
    We have a backyard that has grass and stonework with wood chips in the garden beds. His initial rash started on his stomach and I thought it might be from the wood chips because he would lay in the garden sometimes. That doesn't appear to be the issue.
    I was feeding him Nutrience, then Merrick kibble, then moved to fresh prepared meals by a brand that the name escapes me. I believe it was called Vital or Vita something. Will confirm.
    For training treats, I was using mostly beef liver and tried to stay as natural as possible. There have been some treats that are more processed but those have been completely cut out.
    He was getting pigs ears, beef bully sticks and sweet potato chews.
    He has been very socialized with other dogs and people. We've been to puppy school and is stubborn but really well behaved. He's got a great personality and fits in really well with our family, me husband and 8 year old child. He doesn't appear stressed out at all. I work from home but he doesn't feel the need to be by my side at every turn. His crate is in our kitchen and he happily goes there for his naps and bed time.
    His stools are regular. The consistency has changed since moving to raw but I was told that is normal.
    I bathe him every two weeks, unless he is crazy muddy from the forest. I use an itch free oatmeal based soothing soap and conditioner from the vet.

Anything I'm missing?
    edited August 2016
    No, that's great input. I would cut out the sweet potato, any potato or other yeast source... And use white meat (chicken duck turkey) rather than red. Both in the fresh and as ingredients to kibble. Always grain-free. Does the grass get fertilized or bug treatments? Is it hotter than usual? Bullies prefer the cool. Does he get heart worm, tick, flea or any other meds....?.. Try take photos of his feet, between the toes, pads. Will get better idea when photos show how "bad" it is.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Here are a few pictures of Monty. The sitting one, you can see a slight pink on the toes. The one on the front steps are his normal colouring. The others show some his red feet. Poor pup. :(
    image.jpeg
    2048 x 2048 - 298K
    image.jpeg
    2048 x 1536 - 396K
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpeg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    edited August 2016
    He is a very beautiful child.... ... It seems very dry where you are... I would rub his bad spots with (at least ) coconut oil and if you can get it soon "Elbow Butter" or "for tails only" or "Bag Balm" ...Buy some Antiseptic and Pain Relieving Spray (Pharmacy)... and try and stop him gnawing those spots (which I am assuming he is doing).  Spray him when you can control him (evening TV time) to let is soak in... No point in treating them in the day when he can go off and lick it off.
    But he is totally gorgeous.... And totally white, which makes it twice as hard.

P.S. Good job on keeping the nails short, not QED
  • Any improvement?  If so, what finally fixed it and what are you continuing? Your photos look similar to what our recently adopted EBT is showing signs of.
  • we are having the same issues, our girl is bumping up with little spots. Switched her to a limited ingredient kangaroo based kibble and hoping that helps. We also just started nuvet vitamin which I should have done a long time ago so hopefully that will help her as well. 
    @littlemack... please continue to give detailed input as to your efforts and results.... so many people struggle for months/ years to find the right track, and it is so gratifying when you do... (been there, done that).
  • Iam glad i found this site, this is my second bullie and he has battled with skin issuies. i have been to dermotoligist, the vet and holistic vet. all the drugs and cancer check also allergie blood test. he is miserable he is on a raw diet all duck vegitables fish oil probitiacs and dino vit. rashes that bleed smells feet hurt all the time. so ive read about candida cleanse iam going to look up any thoughts he has to get better i cant live without him but as i read it may go that way he is terriably miserable.
    I guarantee that you can save him if you read everything on this site, take all input to heart, choose which experiences apply to you, and institute them faithfully .... You will have a faithful lover for life.
  • Thank you!  iam trying he is a beast love him to death
    They capture your heart early... but as they grow, their teeth sink into it deeper & deeper.... only Bullies get you to the point where their lives become more important than your own... it just happens.