Skip to content

Challenging Me

Hi another question sorry

Arrow has hit 6 months and started to what i would say is challenging behaviour towards me.
He growls , doesnt show teeth, around his food or fave toy. When he does it i tell him no and to go into his crate and he does and he stays in there till i let him out (the door is open all this time). He only does this to me, not my partner. He is my dog, i feed him spend all the time with him etc yet never displays this behaviour to partner.

Other than keep doing this is there anything else to add and is this normal behaviour?

Comments

• p.s
    I have tried feeding him by hand (this is messy as he eats raw lol) and he is fine, doesnt growl, doesnt snatch, its only when his bowl is down. He also plays a lot and does it with only one toy. he is happy to play etc and this is only a recent thing.
  • pps
    sorry i dont know how to edit

what i find weird if he is guarding is that he will come and sit under my legs and play with his toy so he is happy to be in CLOSE proximity of me ith his toy but if I stroke him or its my initiating the contact thats when he growls
  • edited August 2016
    First of all, Bull Terriers are usually not big barkers - with exceptions from the rule, such as my little monster. :)
    But big barker or not, they all usually have a very extensive range of sounds they make. Some of which SOUND like growling, while the dog is not truly making an aggressive noise in reality.
    Our former dog Fancy used to duck and make a humming sound that also reminded of growling when being approached by men she did not know, because she was afraid of strange male persons. But she would never attack them or so. She just expressed that she felt uneasy, but there was no aggression involved.

I "allow" my dog to express her feelings. And if that means that she needs to "tell" me that she is feeling uncomfortable in a certain situation by making a noise that sounds similar to a growl, we just stop and figure things out together.

Of course, it is not tolerable if it's the case that the puppy tries to force its will by actual growling/ showing aggression. But it can take a closer listen to figure out, if that is indeed the situation in place.
    The way you describe your encounters somehow causes me to doubt that.

In any case, if you think you may be encountering possessive behavior, try to make "giving things" away a good experience for your dog by making this a frequently played training game. 
    Don't just tale items away, give him something in exchange. First with less interesting items and rewarding the dog with treats/ something in exchange for giving up the item every single time.

Later try that with items that are more important to the dog. Allow him the learning experience that giving things away to you is a bargain for him, because he gets something in exchange. First that's treat's. But you will see that sooner or later also a hug will do one or the other time, although I would not skip the "real" rewards altogether.

If you feel that you are encountering possessive behavior right now with some items, practice this training with less interesting items and just put away the ones that cause problems for now. Give them back to the dog once you've reached the point in your training when you want to switch back to the more interesting items and try if things have changed.

Despite training there may always be things your dog remains being hesitant to give them away. But after a thorough time of learning and building the trust, it will probably only take a little longer for him to give one or the other item up for you, but it will no longer trigger aggression towards you.
    If it still does, one step back to less interesting items ... and so on. It may take some time. All dogs have their own learning pace. 
  • Thank you, i will give it  a go. Any reason why he makes these sounds with me only lol?
  • edited August 2016
    If one could witness the situation in real life or watch a video of it, I am sure the entire thing would become much clearer. Because usually from an outside point of view people see a lot more than the ones involved.
    Also it would be possible to listen closely to the sound and judge, if it indeed is a growl or maybe something else. Also the dog's and your body language and the way both of you act, your own voice etc. would possibly reveal a lot.

Maybe you get the chance to have one member of your family take a video of the situation. And then subsequently watch and analyze it together. Or if you want, post it and ask others for their opinion.

With the information present so far, it is just impossible to tell, if you are really dealing with, say, a lack of respect, aggression or quite the opposite or even just one way of your dog to communicate or play. 

All I know for sure is that aggression or challenging you - as you interpret it - is only ONE of MANY POSSIBLE explanations. And even IF it is aggression, many times that results from insecurities and not the wish to challenge you. In my opinion aggression is one of those behaviors in dogs that is most often misinterpreted by people. Because - even in young dogs - only in the fewer cases dominance or misconduct are the true reason behind it.
  • Good morning, I can't give advice here but I can relay what has occurred with my dogs over time.

One of the first things a breeder told me years ago was to have fun but stay in charge. This meant that as a pup, when feeding time came, I was to put the food down, pat the pup, talk to the pup, remove the bowl, put it back and let them know that I had control. If there was any sign of growling or dissatisfaction, I had to deal with it by sternly saying a loud NO, and removing the food until calm was present again. Therefore, being fed without interruption was purely dependent on their behaviour.

When playing with toys, play growling is a different thing (tug of war etc), but possessiveness to the point of anger is unacceptable. Around my kids, this was very important because even puppy scratches and nipping can really hurt, and our youngest would run for the hills if this started. Again, I was instructed to say NO, put my hand around the snout lightly and growl back at the pup to let them who was in charge (like their mother would do), and then go back to playing. The behaviour stopped within a few days and my kids could then just say NO and get the same result. This was really important because if I was away for work or any other reason, the dogs rules were already set.

With respect to an older dog, I once rescued a show specimen from being put out to the public as the family had to move etc etc. This boy was already 12 months old and he was 'huge', but a lovable character. When he first came home I was a little unsure of his personality except for what the family had told me. All was good until in the first week, he let me know that he didn't want me near his food as he was eating. He growled, and I was not happy. This would be problematic for everyone and I had to deal with it on the spot. I immediately raised my voice, removed his food and made him wait quietly for a good 10 minutes (it felt like forever!). Then I called him over and offered him a bit of mince by hand, praised him for good behaviour, then put the bowl down again. Then whilst he ate, I went through the whole process of praising him, talking to him, patting him, stroking him, removing his food to test his reaction, until I felt that it was acceptable. I then introduced another family member to the situation (after a week), and we went through the process to test his reaction. Lift a back leg during feeding, move the bowl, generally just being mildly annoying to him, but talking to him and being nice the entire time. I must say it was very satisfying to achieve this result because it was my responsibility to manage this and keep him happy at home. Edward went on get his title and worked as a stud dog for a few years, and his personality was beautiful.

Just on his name; I didn't really think Edward was a tough enough name, so I went about trying to change it. He was apparently named after the previous owner's grandfather who had a general 'dislike' for BT's. The grandfather seems to have quickly fallen in love with him and so the name started and stuck. I was looking to name him something hard-hitting like Spike, or Hammer, (so clichéd I know), but he only responded to Edward, and Edward it was.

These things have been practical experiences for me, and they have resolved the growling, jumping, and nipping issues over time. I hope it helps in some way.

Best wishes to you and Arrow...Steve
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2016
    I would recommend that ALL dog owners watch this short, very telling, documentary to better understand how dogs think.... It is also very informative about many other dog related aspects, It's available on Netflix, and, I am sure, other sources:imagePay particular note to the guy who dives into the pack of feeding wolves to break up conflict, some cojones!

Aplacenearourheart(s) copy.jpg
    986 x 590 - 251K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited August 2016
    Funny story, just yesterday I found that documentary on Netflix and was thinking about watching it, but then decided to watch something else.
    So, I'll be seeing it tonight now.
    Thanks for the tip @philsergeant :)
    You're gonna luv it... Let me know
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Absolutely awesome documentary! Not really new facts for me, yet such amazing sceneries and pictures. Loved it! Even Djamila joined me watching. So sad there are only two episodes of it.
    Yes, great.... A few snorey patches... But he can't help it, he's English, like me :D