Skip to content

Psycho Motor Seizures

Hi, My name is Sharon and I have an eight month old Bull Terrier named Daphne. I live in Oregon and I purchased her from a breeder in Michigan. The day after we received her, I took her to the vet for a puppy check and I was told that she was blind. Two weeks later I got her an appointment with an Opthamologist and she told me that Daphne had slow to develop retinas and that she would retain her eyesight within a month or so and she has, but it is not 100%. Daphne has also had a couple of bladder infections and when she got spayed, I asked the Vet to x-ray her hips and her right hip has hip displaysia.  Two nights ago, are little darling was asleep on the couch and at around 1:30 a.m., she woke up startled and started growling and biting at the couch, we then put her in her crate and this happened again.  This morning at around 9:00 a.m., she was lying on me while I sat on the couch and was watching TV and all of a sudden she started growling and biting at the air like she was seeing something that was attacking her and this time she wasn't even sleeping.  Five minutes later this happened again and then six more times before we could get her to the Vet an hour and a half later.  We had looked up something call Psycho Motor Seizure and the Vet didn't really know much about this particular type of seizure, but he does believe she has a seizure disorder and he put her on an anti-seizure medication called Levetiracetam.  I was wondering if anyone else with a Bull Terrier has been diagnosed with Psycho Motor Seizures and can give me any advice. 
Thank You So Much,
Sharon Wheeler

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I have been blessed to never have had to go though anything like this and my heart SERIOUSLY goes out to you for the need to experience this involuntary behavior by what seems to all to be a wonderful child. None of this helps and I hope there are some that have experience of the issue, and more importantly the solution, on this site. I am sure there is help to be found and pray u find it soon. It's only been a few minutes since your first post and I hope help comes soon. I'll keep checking and will speak with our vet [who's pretty good] first thing Monday. What a blessed child she seems to be.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Hi Sharon. I don't have any experience with this issue but I can keep you and Daphne in my prayers. She is a beautiful baby. I am certain you will find heart felt help here.
  • I know it could be anything but what you described sounds similar to what my boxer used to show.  He was diagnosed epileptic.  He almost went into a trance biting air and sometime me if I happened to be close (unintentionally). One thing he also did which is common to epilepsy is when he had an episode his body went rigid,  I mean solid and would fit as a person would. 
    I know it could be anything but just thought I'd give you another thing to research or ask vet about... Hope she is OK.. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Very saddening to hear about all the health issues associated with your Bull Terrier. Just out of curiosity, did you contact your breeder and let them know about all these issues?

It's very rare to hear about these kind of problems within the breed. Hearing issues are a concern within the breed but not sight. Seizures and/or epilepsy are also a rarity. Did your breeder provide any form of health guarantee?

I commend you for the care and concern you have for your Bull Terrier. I hope she gets through these issues with the help of proper veterinarian care. Based on the health issues she is having at such an early stage I would encourage you to conduct other tests like kidney and heart to ensure she doesn't have other issues.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Daphne is blessed to have you as an owner Sharon, and it's wonderful that you love and care for this baby unconditionally.

It's hard not to wonder how the breeder didn't diagnose the blindness or other issues prior to the release of this pup. They have a responsibility to the breed, the litter, and any prospective owner. Unfortunately I haven't experienced these issues, and I have more questions than answers.

Thanks for being a great mum in difficult circumstances.