Skip to content

Parvo from the Breeder: HELP!

My boyfriend and I had been looking at purchasing a bull terrier for weeks, when we finally found our perfect puppy, we couldnt wait to bring her home. Being first time Bull Terrier owners, my boyfriend and I did as much research as we could on "Detroit Bullies." I could not find anything negative about this breeder, so I thought that everything should be okay. Fast forward.... we picked Mila up in the evening of June 19th. The couple days that followed I noticed her poop was pretty soft, I thought that it was just because we changed her food. All the sudden Mila started acting very sluggish and began throwing up heavily. My boyfriend, a friend, and I rushed her into the vet where she was diagnosed with parvo. We are almost 100% positive that the virus came from the breeder. When I contacted the breeder she was very rude. She even questioned the reputation of my vet and said "are you sure you can trust them?" This vet has been in my family for years. It's her I don't trust. Due to the fact that we believe the virus was contracted before we picked her up, I want help with the vet bills. She tried to give me some sob story that her husband left her...well I know that her other bull terrier just had puppies, so I know that she is going to have some income coming in. I need help on how to try and get help with these vet bills.... she keeps saying her vet is going to get a hold of her.. but has yet to, apparently... HELP! 

Comments

• Oh, and also Mila came with AKC papers, so I would have thought this breeder to be a little more knowledgeable and respectable. Also, when I told her the amount for our vet bills, she said that they should've just gave her an antibiotic and sent her home.... she obviously is ignorant and doesn't know what parvo is.... I was so infuriated..
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Bull Terrier "Mila." I'm not sure what research you conducted on "Detroit Bullies." I never heard of them so I tried to research them myself which quickly resulted in these facts:
    • They do not have any bloodline reputation through AKC under the kennel name "Detroit Bullies"
    • No online pedigree database depicts the bloodline "Detroit Bullies."
    • No website to view. Unknown pedigrees on their dogs. Unknown health guarantees. ETC
    • Puppy Advertisements are conducted through Hoobly and other 3rd party websites
    • Current litter advertisements mention that the puppies will not come with papers. Pet only.

Truthfully, I couldn't find one positive thing about this breeder and was quick to conclude they are just a BYB with no reputation at all.

Here's the bad news about the disease Parvo -
    Parvo kills most puppies and those that live have a lasting effect from the disease. It will surely compromise their immune system, growth, and development. Along with Distemper, Parvo is most likely the worst disease a puppy can get and the Parvo Virus can live a long time in the area. This means that Parvo virus is still in existence in your home as well as the breeders home where it surely initiated from. This disease is an absolute nightmare for dog owners.

In the event your puppy received the proper vaccinations at 6 weeks old and was not subjected to public areas where other dogs frequent she should not have contracted the disease. Sounds to me like you brought the disease home to you from the breeders house. Now your house and yard is an area of deep concern because Parvo can stay in soil up to 7 years. I would not suggest allowing any puppy on your property unless they have had their first two series vaccinations. Even then it's a worry for a young puppy. Some strains of Parvo have been said to affect dogs that have been vaccinated. Very scary disease.

Due to your puppy contracting the disease there's really no telling what her future health and development will be like. One thing is for sure, this puppy didn't come from a responsible breeder. Health tests on the parents surely weren't conducted and the breeder has little to no knowledge on the breed to begin with. Your puppy has a lot higher chances than most other Bull Terriers of having genetic health issues as well simply based on the ethics of this breeder. Shocks me they are selling puppies right now on Hoobly that they couldn't even register. This means they either bred dogs that didn't have papers or this breeder was reported to AKC and no longer able to register any litters through AKC.

YOU should be asking the breeder for a full refund and returning the puppy. I know you might feel bad for the puppy and have some attachment to her but that puppy may very well lead a life of costly health issues and cause more sadness and disappointment than you can imagine. I'm confident your breeder already knows they have Parvo Disease on their property and inside their home. Ask to speak to the other puppy owners and you'll surely be able to validate where the Parvo originated from. I'm sure the whole litter got it. I'm also sure the breeder won't provide you with their contact info because they too have contacted her about the problem with their puppy just like you did.

Additionally, AKC registered dogs does NOT mean they come from good breeders. It just means the litter was registered through them. Sadly there are MANY Puppymills and BYB's who register their litters through AKC.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She has become a part of our family, and I just can't imagine sending her back to that house... she was making a bounce forward, but has taken a couple steps back, but is on the road to recovery. Is there a way to "report" her to AKC so she is unable to sell puppies with such papers? She was bashinges other people for having sick puppies.. now that the ball is in her court she has a different opinion... I'm just at a loss of words. My boyfriend and my heart are breaking for her.. I really appreciate your knowledge and input!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    You can definitely report her to AKC. However, I would give her the opportunity to make good for herself. If you have no intentions on returning the puppy you could at least ask her to compensate you for the money spent on a puppy that you expected to be in appropriate health. Most responsible breeders would surely have enough heart and pride within the puppies they produce to ensure YOU are happy with the health and quality of the puppy you purchased. In the event she refuses to make good let her know you plan on reporting the incident to AKC and will be providing them with Vet records. Simply tell her you wish to ensure others don't have to go through what you did and other puppies produced by her aren't suffering and dying from a disease that exists within her home and property. Her breeding should be terminated due to the disease in which covers her premises.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Little shit heads.... I personally would like to throttle her measly neck across the kitchen table until she coughed up every penny you had to lay out for the solution, another 100% for Mila's suffering, and 50% more for yours... Crap noses are only interested in THEIR money. Make as much noise as you can about the stinky breeder on the web.... Maybe it'll make potential buyers think twice before they fall in the same hole!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Lol, tell us how you really feel, Philsergeant! Im certainly not laughing about the puppy....I love how you just say what's on your mind!
  • Thank you for the feedback. It truly means the world! Mila is kicking parvos ass, too!