Skip to content

Bug bites?

Ok so I noticed these spots on Bronte a couple days ago and chalked it up to rough play with the bigger dog in the house (teeth marks) but there seem to be more of them now and I'm wondering if maybe they are mosquito bites or even a skin illness of some sort. Have you guys had a similar issue before ?? 
20160627_092036.jpg
5312 x 2988 - 5M

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Which food do you feed him? Does he seem to be itchy? Or just the bumps?

Causes for bumps can be manifold: food, bugs, environment, chemicals, cleaners ...

Most of the time nutrition makes the top of the list. That's why I am asking.
  • I feed him timberwolf organics and EVO....both are grain free and potato free and are rated 5 star on dogfoodadvisor.com 

He doesn't have fleas I know for a fact but my yard is like a breeding ground for mosquitos lol so that's why I thought that may be a possibility....but he does rough around with my bigger dog and she will latch onto his leg (playfully) when she has had enough which is why I initially thought they were just teeth marks.
  • edited June 2016
    That extend of bite marks would scare me. :) I don't think that's what this is.
    The food sounds good so far. But even the best foods can cause allergic reactions, if they contain an ingredient that the dog reacts to.

This unfortunately is often trial and error unless an allergy test has been performed.
    One problem we have here in Florida are fire ants. Their bites sting and itch (humans and animals). But they are very distinct, because they often fill with pus. I don't know, if that's the case with your dog.
    Mila once stuck her face into an ant hill and got bitten all over it. She looked horrible, but it hardly seemed to bother her during the following days.
    There are other things, such as poison ivy for example that can cause similar effects - mosquito bites also.
    And the dog will not necessarily show signs of discomfort.
    Also standing waters can sometimes cause such reactions, because of the life in there.

If he does start scratching, I would advise you to get a disinfecting spray for dogs and put that on a few times a day in order to avoid secondary infections on open sores from scratching.
    You can also give him a bath with a medicated and soothing shampoo formulated for dogs to keep the sores clean.
    Also I would try to keep his bedding as clean as possible (use a hypoallergenic detergent).

If you notice his skin becoming dry, you can use Bag Balm or Coconut oil to soften the skin. Both are also antimicrobial.

If you don't get to the cause of it now and it vanishes, still make a note in your calendar when it started and how long it lasted, also keep the photos. This way, if it occurs again it could help you to pinpoint times/ seasons and other factors.

I would probably keep him on the food you are feeding for now and see how things develop. If you don't notice any improvement during the next days or if it even worsens, I would consult the vet and ask, if he thinks a food switch would make sense.

Of course I'd also check the other dogs, if they have "bites" as well (even if less than the one dog) and take a look around my yard for any poisonous plants and other possible triggers.

If you suspect mosquitoes, make sure not to have any small or larger areas of standing water around outside, because in warm weather these are perfect breeding grounds for mosquitoes - even a small cup full of water.

Hope the suggestions help a little.
  • Yes thank you for the info it does help! 
    It is just confusing because there is no itch, no redness, no irritation, just these little spots where it seems his coat isn't growing lol its strange 
    :-?
  • Cfols25, 
    where are you based?
    this is the EXACT problem my Arrow has, almost identical marks and same numerous qualtity. Im based in Thailand so there are alot of mosquitos and gets nipped alot. The vet said it was a yeast/fungal inection + bites and i started adding supplements and virgin coconut oil to his meal as per advised by Djammy (who was great), touch wood, 3 days in there is a small improvement and he is also shedding less so im hoping moving in right direction and seems to be helping. like i said, he doesnt itch or seem bothered either

Could it be a mixture of alergy and bites?
    mine eats raw.
    He doesnt itch and not bothered by them so seems almost identical case, i was planning on doing a before and after pic after giving it a month but to give you an indication, this was how he was couple days ago.
    ill still post the after pic in a few weeks. let me know how you get on

20160622_195558.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
    20160622_195607.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
  • Hey I'm based in South Georgia so quite a different location than Thailand :) 
    But yes it looks very similar and my vet said it didn't require a skin scrape but would most likely resolve itself....he also said it looked like bites of some sort such as mosquitoes or yellow flies.

I used an anti fungal shampoo and have been watching these patches closely so I will update this post as progress or regression happens.

I will be switching to a raw diet next month and would love tips on recipes or simply feeding schedules from anyone 
  • Arrow has eaten Raw since we had him at 8 weeks, he is just over 4 months now

I am no expert as both first bull terrier and raw eater :), whilst from Uk based in Thailand at present and dint like local dry food options

At moment he eats

520g per day over 3 meals, everything i read seemed to suggest 2-3% of expected adult weight so this is open to interpretation.

minced chicken or beef 250g

veg 125g

bone (carcasses, wings etc) 125g

offal 12.5g

all raw apart from the veg which is cooked. lots of things online and
    it may be trial and error but I think im lucky as mine wolfs it all
    down, veg and all. Like i said im no expert but loads of things on line,
    including supplements. Make sure you research which veg is OK as some
    cant have at all and some have undesierable side effects, same with
    fish. All his treats are raw like hot dogs, pigs tails etc. He also eats
    egg shells.

mine also eats bones unminced and has had no problems.

His stools are solid and less than i would consider a normal dog, he
    doesnt smell like a dog lol weight wise he is packing on well too.

• p.s

on the leaving his skin etc..... keep an eye on it cause Arrows got worse and wasnt just down to bites and like i said whilst v v early days, 3 days in and its looking a bit better
  • Thanks so much that all helps a good bit!! I will be getting some stuff for his skin and supplements for his food as well.

Love all the help from everyone on this site 
    :D
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's an allergic reaction to something. Could be something within his diet and it could also be from insect bites and irritation. Chiggers are bad in this area where I'm at. Most dogs with strong immune systems don't see to be affected by insect bites. However, any dog with a weak immune system can show serious allergic reactions from just one or two flea bites on a dog that the owner can't even find a flea on.
    My biggest defense to skin problems and allergies is always to start off concentrating on development a strong immune system. The reason why I am so adamant about recommending the NuVet supplement to people is because I have witnessed the positive results of the product time and time again. I receive in Rescue BT's fairly often and it is very rare I get one that has been properly cared for and free from skin issues. Additionally, I am used to taking my Bullies out on our property daily for exercise and I have 50 acres of trails, 2 ponds, woods, and wildlife. If a Bullie has some issues with their skin from insects they will surely be affected here. So when I note that none of my Bull Terriers are having any skin issues while a Rescue with mange or bad allergies is getting worse or not improving regardless if they are all on the same diet and in the same environment it;s at that time I focus on the immune system. NuVet has been a life saver for me because it really maintains their health and keeps them from having issues that I see affecting so many other Bull Terriers. Once I start a Rescue BT on NuVet the results are quickly noted with each passing day as their immune system improves. I see it in their coat, energy, attitude, and over all happiness.
    I had a Bull Terrier here about 2 months ago that had bumps like that all over him. I know it affected him too and seen him itching and anxious from it. The Bullie was on allergy meds too which wasn't doing a thing. I understand that some BT's have different degrees within the strength of their immune system based on genes coming from their bloodlines which is why some are far more prone to having skin issues than others. White Bull Terriers just happen to be the most problematic.
    Look up Chigger bites on dogs and see if looks familiar to what your Bull Terrier has. There can be so many things causing this outbreak that it's just too hard to guess at. I even had a Bull Terrier break out like that after treating him with a flea and tick preventative.
    Something is causing a reaction and if you have more than one dog and this one is the only one having the skin issue I would conclude to the fact he is having a reaction to something that normally wouldn't create any sort of impact.

NuVet Literature on Immunity.JPG
    825 x 635 - 117K
    NuVet Literature on Immunity 2.JPG
    644 x 644 - 99K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for the insight!! Will definitely be purchasing some Nuvet :) 
    He does get in good exercise everyday and is eating the same diet as my other dog which has none of these symptoms so your thoughts on immune system seem spot on especially considering his lineage and condition when I brought him home.
    Get him on that NuVet ASAP and you'll see the results. NuVet has a money back guarantee too so there's no risks. That have pure confidence with their product and I can see why. Its certainly a supplement I don't plan on changing any time soon.

Post an update after he's been on it for a while.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Not bugs, A bad reaction to a food ingredient.... It can take up to a year to find out exactly what food to feed an EBT that has bad skin reactions (especially white ones)... You need to make sure the fundamentals are not in the food... grain mostly, but some dogs do not react well to red meat, eggs, potato, sweat potato and a number of other contents. Constantly and gradually try different food and monitor well their reaction... Also help by rubbing virgin coconut oil on the coat before bed.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • His dog food now is grain and potato free but does contain egg.
    It is a turkey and chicken recipe.

I just ordered a food with even a few less ingredients and hopefully will see some improvement
  • Also I would now like to ask what you guys may recommend feeding? 

I'm using timberwolf organics and love it for my other dog....she has a wonderful coat that always gets described as the "best coat I've ever seen" by other dog owners so I'm bummed that Bronte seems to be having a reaction.
    Turkey and chicken is good. You never know if the egg is an issue, I know that my dogs did get "hives" when they got egg. Beside kibble what else does he get? Raw is very beneficial, baked chicken is good.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I give two meals a day and swap between kibble and raw

Raw meal includes beef, chicken, liver, broccoli, carrots, and raw egg w/ she'll

Treats include peanut butter, Merrick outback, three dogs bakery biscuits

I also cook at a restaurant on weekends and treat him to an unserved steak every now and again 
  • Well, a look at the ingredients looks like a really great product. And all the other foods look great, too.

Nevertheless, if there is something in it, he reacts to - it happens, just as philsergeant's dogs react to eggs, which are also normally great in a dog's nutrition - even the best nutrition can trigger a reaction.

How long has he been on this diet now?
  • He has been on this diet since the day I got him so a solid month now....he did not get these spots until 8 days ago. So 3 weeks with no reaction and then one week with, the only thing I did differently with Bronte was switch out his timberwolf organics with EVO dog food but stopped with EVO as soon as the symptoms arose so he has been 6 days without any EVO and the symptoms haven't gotten any better.

That's the only difference in his diet and the other dogside diet
  • Another thing I just thought about....I have given Bronte a total of 3 pig ears since bringing him home. 
    Could a pig ear possibly be the culprit ??
    For sure... sounds like a "good" coincidence
  • Ok I'm pretty sure pork is the issue.

Last night the little man somehow ended up with a chunk of a prokchomp treat that was meant for the big dog.....anyway this morning he has been scratching a lot and has some redness around eyes and mouth.
  • edited July 2016
    I would suggest to take possible triggers out of the equation one by one. This way it will be easier to safely identify the source of the problems.

Also it's important to keep in mind that without any accelerators, such as steroids, skin irritations usually take a while to heal/disappear. Even a mosquito bite can take a week.
    If the dog is not very itchy, I don't think steroids or other harsh medication would be really necessary.

If you still want to provide any relief or prevent sores from becoming inflamed you can do some of the things suggested above.

And other than that sit it out.

If you waive the pig ears now, I would at least allow one to two weeks since the last treat has been given to notice real improvement.

Changes for the worse usually happen much faster. So, after taking one thing away you will also pretty quickly know, it was NOT the trigger, if despite taking it away things keep going south.
  • Thanks for all the help guys! Doing away with all pork related treats and got him on a dog supplement to boost immunity and skin irritation....will keep everyone posted 
  • Ok guys , took Bronte to a new vet today and that was a great decision. 
    He does have a weaker immune system and a skin illness passed down by his parents but will make a full turnaround with some liquid antibiotic and some immune boosting Hardypet tablets ( which I already had him on after doing some research ) 

The skin was inflamed do to an allergic reaction most liekly from pork but the little spots were an illness 
    Well I take it you didn't like the NuVet idea but I'm glad you got him on some type of supplement to help his immune system.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I did a lot of reading and researching and hardypet has many of the same ingredients and is recommended by many pet owners/breeders I know around my area.
    Also it was more readily available and about half the cost....if it doesn't seem to make a difference I do plan on getting some nuvet but I can say that he considers his hardypet a treat and his energy level has skyrocketed.

I did not disregard your recommendation of nuvet and quite honestly it came down to my budget for the month :/ 
    I completely understand and I'm happy to hear he is doing well on it. Again, any supplement to help boost his immune system is beneficial.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com