Skip to content

Deer Poop, ( and duck poop)

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
We seriously watch everything our kids eat, and for the very most part their stools are very consistent ... Every now and then they get a loose bout which lasts a day or so... I can't see it being anything we give them or they find around the house. So I can only put it down to deer poop... It's the only thing we catch them sampling on tours of the neighborhood .... (We have so many deer here it's a pain in the arse.... If anyone is brave enough to shoot deer in a residential neighborhood, please come on over for some easy pickin's ).... They shy away from virtually all other types of poop including their own thankfully...but they love them black M&Ms .... Does anyone have experience of those droppings providing the runs? And, more importantly, any idea how to deter Bullies from the habit.... ( I also mention duck poop because, while we only have wild ducks around here, I know that "tame" duck poop can also be a revolting attraction.)
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Many veterinarians will explain that most often when a dog eats poop it's because they lack something in their diet and nutrition. Usually it's potassium and many will say a trick to get a dog to stop eating poop is to start feeding them banana's. Give it a try and see if his menu of food consumption changes.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    They each get about one banana a day... They love them... The deer eat tons of berries around here so the poop's probably like dried fruit.(to them)... If they were looking for a supplement wouldn't they go for raccoon poop, rabbit poop, horse poop, armadillo poop? All of which are in abundant supply around here. ( having said that I did catch one going for horse poop but that's more like moldy grass.) Do you know if poop causes the runs?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I cannot buy into the "lacking of the diet" thing anymore, my dogs are raw fed and have had there blood work done before and and they BOTH love eating other animals droppings, deer, bear, bird and even my rats droppings.

Chimera was obsessed with eating her own shit for a LOOONG time, i personally think its a habbit-they enjoy the taste.

I walk thru the woods nearly every day thruout the summer,fall and spring, living in upper MI, we encounter deer droppings, bear droppings, rabbit droppings, turkey droppings, goose droppings and lord knows what else. and i have had to teach BOTH my dogs to NOT touch it. When Cesar was younger, he would snatch up every pile we would come across.

What i did with Cesar was, keep a lead attached to him while we walked off-lead, whenever he would stop to grab poop i would grab the lead and give a swift jerk saying "ICKY!" and pull him along, worked like a charm because now all i have to say is "ICKY!" and he doesnt even sniff it.

Chimera was a challenge though considering, she could care less about a firm lead jerk and would simply grab and swollow as much as she could as fast as she could, she was eating more shit then anything and it was pretty deeesgusting to say the least, i ended up caving and useing a shock collar on her to stop her bad habit, everytime she would sniff poop i would give her a mild shock and say "ICKY!"

Just today when we went on our walk, we had to side step about 15 piles of deer poop where a herd of deer had recently been thru-not one turd was ingested and i was extremly pleased and rewarded them both with a nice chunk of beef fat from my treat baggy.

Any change of diet can cause the runs. Even water can be a factor to cause runs. Here in NC our water is soft and when a puppy tries to get used to water on the west coast they too can get the runs.

I'm sure eating poop can cause the runs and if your dog has an obsession with taste testing varieties of wild game dung your best bet would be to keep him on on leash while he's out on walks in areas that seem to be highly populated with wildlife feces of all sorts.

My worry would be that he'd be more susceptible to gaining germs and other diseases from wild animals that may be sick. I think if I was in your shoes I'd have no worries of my dog running freely in my own yard if it's fenced off but when I choose to walk him outside the area that you've explained to be populated with all kinds of wild animal poop I'd probably prefer him to be on a leash so I could prevent him from dining on a dish of wild kangaroo dung. :))

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited April 2013
    Steve,
    Hey! We're in Florida... The closest thing we have to kangaroos here are the ones on Dishnetwork's Hoppers!
    But excellent point on the water though.. ( being FL) they tend to go after every water source there is, the pool, rain puddles, sprinkler jets ( luv 'em) .. We will have to watch that.
    I'd don't know how these babies originally survived in the wild, they'd have the constant runs like spicy food Mexicans.
    xchairity_casex,
    Thanks for the great advise and excellent input! ( I tell you Bullies have this amazing knack of finding great parents, right!) I had a feeling it'd come down to training. It's real hard to keep them on a lead in the wild... They just love to gallop, wrestle, and dart in and out of bushes etc. But ( hate to admit it but ) I've taken to carrying a thin bamboo cane and when their noses send them darting off for a treat you can tell, and a swift snap on the rump ( pencil hold style ) gets them to back off the pile fast. Now, when they even see me coming with it, they ignore the black M&Ms . I guess it's a matter of time until they find out making the trip isn't worth while.
  • yep, i always let my pups run off-lead, with Cesar i kept a 50 foot lead on his collar for him to drag so i could pop it from a ways away to scold him and then let it go for him to drag on!
  • My dogs love to eat my roommates dog's turds. Nothing I do seems to stop them so I have just given up and tell em have at it !!!
    Are you talking about a 50ft retractable lead or just 50ft of "rope".?
    Xchairity-casex
    Terrifik, thanx, order placed
    edited April 2013
    Following on to Steve's input on water I think we have may have found the source of the occasional runs. We've been researching Chlorine Exposure and there's quite a lot of evidence that points to pool water causing, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, even mouth & tongue ulcers. ( that's besides skin irritation if they swim, especially in a shocked pool at the beginning of summer) . Anyone whose bullies like to dunk in or slake from the pool might look into it. ['specially in the case of puppies]

:-bd  :-c
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I seen this on Facebook and thought it was pretty funny...
    Shiteater.jpg
    720 x 960 - 634K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    That's unfair!! If they had some Hollywood personality's mug up there I'd believe it.... But EBT's are too smart for that:-)
  • hahahaha hilarious photo!!!!