Skip to content

Growling why?

Our 6 month old pup has started to growl and become aggressive. I have read numerous topics and most lean towards pinning (which I have done) and exercise. However here of late she has become increasingly aggressive.

She will go set in her kennel (in another room) and just start growling. She will growl when you walk by. One minute she is playing nice with the cat the next she attacks him. Sometimes when you open the door to let her out she attacks the door. She will be sweet and loving one minute and then the next she growls and snaps at you for petting her. Setting at the dinner table she gets upset and growls and bites your feet. It's almost as if she is bipolar. Her growling is quickly turning into growling with lunging out trying to bite aggressively.

I want to handle the asap and do it properly. My 5 year old is terrified of her. I didn't have these issues with my previous ebt, but I know not all dogs are the same.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Normally behavior as you described comes from pent up energy, stress, and anxiety. At 6 months old she needs a lot of exercise in order to stay mentally and physically healthy. Too much crate time can also cause some issues and habits that are hard to break. Many BT's (especially in their adolescent stages) are far more susceptible to develop OCD issues if they are under too much stress which can often be contributed to pent up energy that isn't being exhausted. I'm not saying your BT has any form of OCD issues but based on what you have described by spontaneous attacks on your door, cat, growling, crate guarding, etc she sounds like she would be a prime candidate for OCD development. Excessive barking, tail chasing, odd habits, nervousness for explained reasons, etc are common OCD issues Bull Terriers can suffer with if their stress and anxiety levels go causing their immune system to go down. Once the immune system is compromised it can also affect their health targeting weak areas within the breed type. With the Bull Terrier breed skin issues are a popular weak area that is quickly compromised by a weak immune system.

In short, the best advice I could give you would be initiate a new exercise regime for her. Wear her out for a while and allow her to really exert some energy through exercise. A 6 month old Bull Terrier has a ton of energy and they really need to burn some of that off daily in order to stay fit physically and mentally. Limit her crate time too which may be driving her nuts especially if her exercise activity may not be sufficient for her.

You might be walking her daily and playing with her fairly often but some Bullies require more effort and when they are in their adolescents they actually require twice as much activity. You will see quick results if you dedicate to a better exercise program with her. There are several discussions in this forum from others who have gone through the exact same thing you are with your Bull Terrier. You will also note 99% of them are from owners with a Bull Terrier in their adolescent ages. Good luck and keep in touch.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Ok I have begun getting up earlier so I can exercise her in the mornings. Additionally we have added more time in the evening to her exercise/playtime trying to really wear her out.

My question is what is the appropriate response for when she starts growling? A firm no, avoid her, pinning? Especially when she is in her kennel and no one is around her. We will be laying in bed and she will be in her kennel just growling like crazy.

She has shown signs of improvement but I know it's going to be a long journey. Thanks.
    If you're noticing that she is showing aggression while in her kennel I suggest you try covering her kennel for a few days so she has no reason to guard and show unwarranted aggression while in it.

Are you using a kennel that is a cage type or boxed type?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited May 2016
    May be she's in there too long, or at a time when there's activity in the house and there's no reason to be in there... just asking???
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • What would be suggested for us families that do have to work during the day with puppies? I just do not trust leaving my puppy out of her crate while I am away.  I would come home to a house that looks like a bomb went off .lol.

Thus lies the reason for the OCD / aggression behavior.
    Her whole issue is centered around the amount of time she is crated. The stress and anxiety caused from being crated for extended hours is definitely affecting her. If she remains in this type of environment the problem won;t get better it will get worse.

Option -
    • Doggie Day Care
    • Pet Sitter
    • Outside covered Kennel run
    • Someone coming in during the day to exercise her and provide her bathroom breaks

Your problem is the CRATE time. She's going nuts due to the stress and anxiety. Bull Terriers especially puppies and adolescents need exercise and crating them damages them. 

If you work full time and your spouse does too this means your BT has been crated for at least 8 hours a day. Once you get home you may be walking her and spending time with her but once it's time to go to sleep it's back in the crate. With this said she is likely spending 16+ hours in a crate each day.

I'd be growling too. :)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Josh - have you thought about making a nice run for her in your backyard? Is your backyard secure? At least if she had an area to move around while you weren't home she'd be so much more less stressed.

The Doggie Day cares can be costly but it would be worth it because not only would she be getting some exercise and attention but she'd be socializing with other dogs.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Our kennel is the box type. Even when we are home she goes in there to lay down. We will be sitting in a different room and you can hear her start growling.

My wife and I both work however she works right up the street so she comes to the house a couple of times to let her out.

Yes I have a fenced in back yard. I will research the run idea. We have also started looking for dog sitters as there are very few doggy daycare sin this area.
    I think either the idea of setting up a nice outdoors Run for her or having someone come by during the day a couple times to exercise her would do her a lot of good. Yes, Bull Terriers enjoy their crate but too much time secured in it can have a bad effect of them.

Kennel 01.jpg
    736 x 543 - 110K
    Kennel 01b.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • So right now she is laying in the kitchen, no one around, and she is just growling randomly.

So for the run how do you keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter? I have never kept any of my dogs outside.
  • Also how long can they stay out in a run. I don't want to leave her out to long.
  • Additionally what is the recommended size?
    The photos I provided are a good example of a run that would be ideal for you. It has cover overe one portion to provide shade and an open area to receive sun light. Bull Terriers are quick to acclimatize to both hot and cold weather as long as it's not extreme.

A Bull Terrier would do just fine for long duration in a set up like the one I provided which appears to be a 5' x 15' run. It's certainly a big improvement over a crate that provides nothing for them except stress and anxiety when locked in it for long periods of time.

I have a large kennel on my property and I have to rotate my bullies in and out all the times but my bullies actually like being in the kennels with the other Bullies and enjoy interacting. Currently I am kenneling two Bull Terriers while their owners are on vacation and another Bull Terrier that is here for stud service. They are happy and doing well. They also have a exit area where they can go play in a large fenced in area to go wild and play in a big open area.

It's all about providing your Bull Terrier with enough space and room where they don't need to be locked into a crate while you are working full time. An area where they can actually walk around and have some scenery and activity to involve themselves in.

The growling and bad behavior might be coming from stress and she may be at an age now where she is learning some dominance and using it inappropriately. There are many discussions on this Forum which were posted from others that went through the same behavior with their Bull Terrier and all of them were from Bull Terriers in their adolescent stages.

003.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 748K
    Right.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
    Kennel Run.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • So what about just leaving her outside without a run. Obviously provide a place that offers shade and water but give her free range of the yard?
    I've never seen a yard that was not escape proof and free from potential health risks. A bored and unsupervised Bullie can can into all kinds of mischief from chewing up trees, bushes, flower beds, garden hoses, BBQ grill lines, gas lines, house siding, porches, etc. Another worry would be digging or looking for weak areas within the fence for escape. Having an actual Kennel run adds so much more security and peace of mind.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Got to thinking the same thing. She has been digging lately and also trying to chew up the chicken wire I put around our peach tree (she chewed up the last tree!).

Also figured out one of the things making her growl, her tail. She was growling the other day and I went in to see why and she was growling at her tail and then tried to attack it.

Also do you have a fan in your run? I have outside power and was thinking of installing one (on the outside of the run) for those warmer days for air movement
    I figured the tail chasing (OCD) would set in soon due to prolonged crate time. Sometimes certain things begin to be predictable.

She's begging for more exercise and less time boxed up. Build her a nice outdoors kennel run, she deserves it. If you have a nice covered top for it you won't have to worry about any type of fan because she'll won't be under direct sun and can enjoy the shade and any breeze that generates.

Her biggest plague right now is that crate in which she is spending too much time in. Whatever your decision is it should one that provides some movement in which she can at least have movement and exhaust some energy. You'll see a whole new dog if you can comfort her with a daily regiment that allows her to move about freely and exert some physical activity.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We have already started the search for a run. Definitely want to do right for her. I completely agree that I wouldn't want to be cooped up half the day either. Tail chasing is getting less and less but there are moments where out of nowhere she gets mad and snaps at her tail. Or she will come up and you will be petting her and she starts to growl. Hopefully with the extra exercise and the addition of a run this will help.

What are you doing for water in the run? Bowl or bottle? Sorry for all the questions, want to do it right the first time.
    Kennel Gear Water Buckets -

Kennel Gear Water Bucket 01.jpg
    980 x 551 - 225K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com