Skip to content

House breaking problems

Hello to all, I thought I had my boy Benny all house broken already but this whole week he has shown me he isn't really house broken. He is 7 months now, and at first like all puppies he was going wherever he wanted. Since I have lot of time free to be with him I kept taking him out side and walking him so he would go out side. I had problems at first because if not supervised he would go in his little corner and do it. But I kept taking him out until he understood that he had to poop out side. Then I had pads inside the house so he would pee on them. He was doing it in the pads for a while but then he would do it wherever he wanted again or even right next to the pads....which would get me really mad at times. Well he started getting good at doing pee pee in he pads (even though sometimes his aim wasn't good) and all was well. Now all this week he has been going pee pee again all over wherever he wants and even next to the pads again and I really don't know why. I take him out all the time and everything. And the times I might take a little too long to take him out, the pads are there and he ignores it. Nothing has really changed except my parents moving in with me. Please any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Your parents moving in with you is a HUGE change for you and your boy. Have your daily routines been slightly off time wise (feeding, playtime, bedtime, potty time etc.)? Bianca is big on her routines,very much a creature of habit. She was also difficult with potty training, she was not 100% until 9 months. I think we left the training pads out too long because we worried she might go on the floor. I'm pretty confident if we would have taken them away sooner she would have been trained sooner. The minute we put the away she figured out she had no choice but to let us know. Do you put the pads down near the door you take him out? If not try gradually putting them closer. Make sure you have a strict potty routine and praise VERY generously when he goes outside so he knows you're happy. Good luck!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Is he ever crated at night or while you aren't home? If so, does he relieve himself in the crate?

I'm only asking because I'm curious if he actually has the ability to hold his bladder. My concern would be a problem with his bladder which is causing the problem. At 7 months old he should well over house breaking and not be relieving himself inside.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He is crated at night and when I'm not home. And he does not relive him self in the crate. Yet he still does it inside once in a while. I dunno what's the problem. Now that is getting warmer here in Jersey, I'm leaving the door open in the back when he is out the crate so he can go out and do his thing. And he does. But then he follows me upstairs to the room and I guess he is too lazy to go downstairs that he goes wherever he wants up there.
  • We're having a few issues with Harley Quinn too, she doesn't seem to alert us to when she needs to go outside, she'll head off to the back door wait a nano second and if isn't let out that fraction of a second relieves herself inside usually just as we reach the door to let her out. Leaving the door open to the outside is ok but as she's still only 17 weeks I think she's too young to be let out unsupervised. Just have to figure how to get her to 1) Wait 5 minutes to give us time to cross the room, and 2) Bark to alert us she's at the door... Love Bullies but they can be contrary beasts. Good Luck x
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Potting training is like everything else with Bullies,,.... Go outside~ Lots of praise and treats.... Go inside ~ Lots of admonition and dissatisfied grunts and shoves in the outside direction, repeat and repeat and repeat .... no other way works... they get it soon enough.!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi there,
    as this is a VERY common issue and I have been planning on writing about it for a loooong time, I have decided to not put my answer here this time, but make it the long planned post in my blog.

Here it is:

I have also picked up some of the actual questions in this discussion and hope the information is helpful.