Skip to content

Help!!!!! none stop spinning

Hi all, I need some help my dad's dog has just started spinning. he was fine then all of a sudden last week he just started spinning and I mean none stop from morning to night he's also not eating properly where he's so busy chasing his tail. we've tryed shouting no and distracting him but nothing seem to be working any help or advise would appreciated

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    OCD is always a challenge to break with any dog. The best way to break your Bullie from spinning is first find out what caused him to get the OCD. 99% of the time it is NOT hereditary and often the owners don't want to admit that they were partly to blame for their dog getting a obsessive compulsive disorder.

Bull Terriers (especially in puppy and adolscent stages) required a lot of attention and exercise in order to keep their immune systems strong and burn off some energy thus relieving stress and boredom. This can often be hard to do with some people who may work all day and leave their Bull Terrier alone in a crate or small confined area. This is often how BT's develop OCD whether it be tail chasing, barking, and even aggression.

What I encourage you to do is to start a new exercise program for him so he is getting plenty of exercise which will relieve some of the stress he is going through. If you dedicate to providing him more exercise and stop him during the times you see him spinning it will be effective. I have received in a few rescues over the years that would spin throughout the day. But after spending time with each of them by throwing the ball and letting them have ample time to exercise they slowly but surely lost the urge to tail chase. It takes some time and you need to be around to stop them when they start spinning but use each time you see him spinning as an excuse to exercise him by allowing him outside to run and get his mind off boredom, confusion, and all that pent up energy he is in need of purging.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Perfect advise from Steve... That and LOTS and LOTS of love and attention... 95% of it is lack of security.... He didn't "just started"... Something happened to make him afraid. Be the detective and work out what. Please help us understand how you work the problem out... it will help others.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.