Skip to content

Clicker Training, effective with EBT?

I'm having problems with training my family rather than Harley. Although I emphasis the importance of consistency there seems to be variations on a theme which I suspect is confusing her. She behaves well with me but pushes it with the girls e.g Toileting, nipping. We're on the waiting list for a local Puppy Socialing class run by a trainer who has been recommended by a few of the local dog owners. She uses the 'clicker' method and I suspect my girls and husband may find this an easier method to use. Anyone have good results with this method?

By the by... I luuuurve Harley's spotty paws.

image.jpeg
662 x 650 - 65K

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I have great success with clicker training and positive reinforcement (conditioning) in general in obedience training (sit, down, stay etc.) as well as anxiety training (nail clipping in our case) and in trick training (as a mental exercise).
    You can find some of our videos on Mila’s Youtube channel.

In my opinion clicker training with a Bull Terrier is no different than with any other dog aside from these two limitations: On the one hand Bull Terriers tend to react a little slow and relaxed to many things, also during training. Also they have a tendency to “negotiate” - others call this stubbornness. :)
    On the other hand many of them are “born to have fun” resulting in some individuals being difficult to reach by any form of training when very excited/ distracted.
    Allowing some extra time and patience may be a good idea.

As a reward based training system in my experience clicker training reaches its limits once the dog finds distractions more rewarding than the things the trainer has to offer.
    In the calm and comfy environment of your home or a well known classroom with familiar play pals this may not play a major role. But once you try to take your training to the next level in environments with more distractions, things can become a little difficult and you may need lots and lots of tiny steps and training.

Clicker training in general in my opinion is not a training method for people who desire immediate results unless they are absolute dog whisperers and clicker pro's.

If you have enough time to work yourself towards success step by step by gradually raising the level of difficulty/ distractions and if you have the patience to try and find your dog’s “currency” in situations when treats, toys and praise do not work, you can be successful with this training method even in more distractive environments.

I have experienced these situations a lot during our obedience training outside (leash walking).
    I decided to use different training methods for these situations. But our communication and experience from clicker training still helps even on the street and without clicker and treats at hand.

Please share some of your experience here!
    I am an autodidact in clicker training and always curious to learn about the experiences of the few others who actually do it with a Bull Terrier.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I've never seen a Bullie's face look like that before, Is that four eyes?, or two eyes and two ears?  Is his mouth below that big black nose?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Lol! Phil is this better?image
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Thanks for the advice Djammy, I will keep you updated on our progress.
    I know Harley is a good, short, fitting name, but I really think he should be called I-Really-Mean-Business!, ... he has that look!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Which is concerning as he's a she... Her full name is Harley Quinn named after a Super Villain (The Joker's Girlfriend) who also has moments of compassion but is largely deranged. My eldest is a Marvel/DC geek... Just hoping Harley doesn't live up to her name sake!
  • edited April 2016
    Well, Joker's Harley Quinn has moments of compassion, but is largely deranged.

This little cutie will be largely compassionate and have her deranged moments ... especially during bully runs. :)) Sounds like a good name match, even though Joker's Harley Quinn is not even half as cute as this one. :)
    How can that handsome naughty little bugger be a "She"?