Skip to content

Heavy breathing for a long time

My boy is 10 weeks old. We have just started going for walks the last two days. Before that, we had some snow and he wanted no part of anything outside but doing his business and getting back inside. The breeder told us not to do long walks so we have been just going for short stints.

I took him for a fifteen minute walk this morning and a thirty minute walk this afternoon. Both were very leisurely. He doesn't appear winded or troubled when we get back but his breathing is quite heavy for quite a while after...approximately an hour. Is he just cooling off? He doesn't seem bothered it just freaks me out a bit. It's been about 17 years since I've had a dog and even longer since I've had a puppy. I don't remember these little things. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Half hour is quite a long walk for a 10 week puppy. What temperature is it outside?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited April 2016
    In general I agree with philsergeant: Half an hour is quite a walk for 10 weeks old.

If the panting also results from very short walks (5-10 minutes) it feels unusual that a short leisure walk and not even running takes a dog's body that long to cool down.
    At least it does, if you are not walking the puppy in 100 degrees and 98% humidity at noon in Florida.

My first idea would be to drastically shorten the walk time and see, if things improve.

If not, I would have the puppy's system checked for any hidden problems (heart ...).

On a side note: Panting is not in any case a sign of the dog trying to cool itself.
    Heavy breathing also occur in a dog under stress, with anxieties or a high excitement level, even if seemingly lying down to relax - almost like human hyperventilating.

That however is an explanation for your dog's behavior I would only consider AFTER having ruled out exhaustion from over-exercising or physical problems.
  • Hmmm okay. It is a very leisure walk. I'm going to take him for 15 mins today and watch him closely. The walks are totally at his pace (which I appreciate at 10 wks he can't gauge) but we stop when he wants to to check out the people or things that interest him. The temperature yesterday was around 18 so definitely not too hot. I'm going to mark down his breathing and see if I need to switch things up. He is actually more active after the walks than before we started going for them. It's like it wires him up. Lol.

Thank you for the input. If it continues, I will take him in before his scheduled 12 week shots.
  • edited April 2016
     He is actually more active after the walks than before we started going for them. It's like it wires him up. Lol.

Thank you for the input. If it continues, I will take him in before his scheduled 12 week shots.
    That very last thing you mentioned may be an indicator that his excitement level could be very high and cause the panting. The observation that "action" - even just a calm walk - triggers excitement could be correct.

But that is only an assumption. Maybe also a question you could ask your vet during the 12 week check-up. For now I think it's a good decision to first see how things work out with shorter walks to be on the safe side. And if that is no solution, start your deeper analysis from there. 
  • It turns out all us good. He hasn't had that weird breathing since. Now if we can just get that nipping in check. He is such a fantastic addition to our family though. :).
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Bull Terriers are like fine wine, "They get better with age."   :D

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited April 2016
    He just needs to learn the "bite inhibition" - one way or the other. His snout is his "hand" and he is using it to explore and grab things ... or people.
    He is not aggressive. He just does not know better yet, has no relation to his strength and his bite and needs to learn how to handle human skin gently, especially for later when his adult teeth are out. In the litter his siblings would show him what they don't like by either yelping or just ignoring and leaving him alone.

Many people already have great success with just interrupting ALL interaction immediately after the nipping. Paying no more attention and ignoring him shows him that this way to seek attention will not get him anything.
    If that does not help, because he decides to just try harder instead of changing tactics, there are other things you can try.

P.S.: Glad for you that the breathing issue seems to have resolved on its own.
  • my 10 week old nips too, not my partner (who spends far less time with him), only me ??
  • edited April 2016
    Again, his snout is his 'HAND". He is trying to grab you to get attention and try to engage you in interaction and play.
    He can't literally TELL you that he wants to play with you, because he can't speak. So THIS is HIS way of "telling" you. This is not in any way hostile or done for the sole purpose of hurting you.

The fact that it hurts you is only caused by the - so far - missing bite inhibition and his razor sharp baby teeth, which he has not even any idea of yet. He is full of steam, going full power and has not learned yet that he needs to curb himself, be considerate and "grab" lightly.

Learning that should be part of your training. And as long as you are consistent this problem should be resolved pretty soon.

Once he has experienced several times that the hard nipping does not bring the desired success, which would be attention versus his actions leading to him being ignored instead and good things like play and interaction stopping immediately, he will start to connect the dots and probably try to be a little more gentle.
    But before he can be more considerate, he first needs to UNDERSTAND that he is hurting you with his nipping. That's just a communication gap between the two of you right now.

Why does he not nip your partner?

EASY!

Like I said, he is not doing it to hurt or offend anyone. He is trying to animate.
    If YOU are the one engaging with him most of the time, why should he try to engage with anyone else but you?
    Obviously YOU are his go-to person in terms of having fun and interaction. Kudos. :)
    Attention is what he wants. Why should he "grab" (nip) anyone else for that as long as he gets the most attention from you? :)

Have your partner play and cuddle more often with him and you will probably watch him experiencing the same thing. I'd bet on that.
    The good thing is, once your dog has learned the bite inhibition, he will likely be gentle not only with you but with most people in the future, except maybe those he KNOWS he can play rough with.
    Dogs don't have the same "standards" by nature in terms of interaction as humans have. But they are great learners, can develop conscience and are able to adapt to an amazing extend. It needs time, a little understanding of their actions and someone who teaches them our "human ways".
    :)
  • He is getting better. I've really noticed that ignoring him works but in those moments of really chaotic play. All in due time. :)