Skip to content

Deer Antlers

Quick query, took Harley on a visit to a friends and she immediately took to their dog's antler chew. I've looked into it on the Internet and they seem to get mixed reviews safety wise so wondered if anyone here has any views or experience with them? The reason being is that as my husband stalks deer we have plentiful supplies. He also plans on taking Harley with him on excursions when she's older. His pal who is a Gun Dog Instructor was initially horrified at the prospect but having met her has now revised his opinion and is keen to train her.

Oh and obligatory Puppy Picimage
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    Antlers are like whiskey, well sorta, its all in the age.
    To fresh and they're a gummy, smelly mess.
    To old and they're to brittle.

Antlers are a mainstay at choobas house.
    He has moose, elk, and whitetail. Hes even got a ox horn somewhere.
    I wouldn't reccomend them if harely still jas is puppy teeth, and youll have to monitor how je chews them. If bullys ise they're front incisors, the antlers break to a fine powder, if he uses his ba k teeth they break to shards that can be swallowed.
    I buy them in large pieces and once they get thrown away.

If they shoot Harley's chewing needs and your friend has a dry season you can buy them in bulk online.
  • When my lab was young she chewed through EVERYTHING, she would go through tennis balls, ropes, and hides so fast, she even got to our carpet and lazy boy.. so we gave her an antler chew because we heard it was 1, long lasting and 2, high in protein but it actually ended up just giving her an upset stomach. You have to make sure to get the good quality grade ones because the cheap ones, like chooba was saying, are usually brittle and can split off and break when chewed.. rather not risk it though, especially when you have 2 dogs you don't want both having diarrhea. Now, with my EBT, since he's teething, we just use nylabones and frozen kongs. He loves when we put peanut butter or yogurt with fruits inside, he can spend a good hour trying to get those out and it's much safer for him

BTW Harley is so beautiful!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2016
    Oh! For sure, that Puppy Pic is obligatory!  She is out of this world!!! Is this the first photo you've posted? Where did you steal her???  (I am sure you realize I know you paid for her, but whatever you paid, it was a steal)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Lol! Thanks Phil. There are a few other posts with photos and we got her from the local SSPCA so she was a complete steal ❤️
    image.png
    750 x 1334 - 963K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com