Skip to content

Our bully is Deaf in one ear

Hi everyone

we were informed when we 1st purchased our pup that she is deaf in one ear. Will this cause her any complications she seems to hear everything ok both her ears are up. Could the test perhaps have been wrong. Is there any advice that would help her in training please? The pic is where i caught her being naughty, getting up on the chair and sniffing the tea out ( i wouldnt normally let her but found it funny on this one occasion, but you can see her ears are up).

Many thanks

Lynn 

Dolly 4.JPG
480 x 640 - 110K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2016
    Obviously only a test will tell... But she certainly doesn't "look" deaf to me, both ears standing is a promising sign... Perhaps she has reduced hearing in the one... If she was not responding to you, or other sounds, you'd have noticed. Perhaps she had an impairment back then... How old is she? Or perhaps the vet was just a dick ( for a change)... Let's pray she had a miracle, she sure looks like a real cutey! What's that? On the counter she is staring at? A spaceship? No wonder she's excited.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Certainly if the Breeder claimed that the puppy was deaf in one hear they would have concluded to this after they had a test conducted on her. The only test for hearing is called a Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER) Test. You should ask your breeder for the results of the test. If your breeder did not have the BAER test conducted ask them what leads them to believe she is deaf in one ear.

I hate bringing this up but the chances are a lot higher that a Bull Terrier is deaf in both ears vice just one. Being that she is solid white I would be a little concerned that she is actually deaf in both ears. Based on you saying that you "purchased" her vice adopted her since she has a genetic fault which is also a handicap I'm also concerned about the integrity of the breeder. With this said, I highly encourage you to ask your breeder for the BAER tests results so you can validate that she at least has some hearing. In the event your breeder has no proof of any test being conducted I'd be worried that they actually already know she is deaf. Even a deaf Bull Terrier can act and appear as though they can hear because they are so tuned into watching and reacting to their owners and things around them. The fact that her ears are erect and alert when she see's something of interest has nothing to do with her hearing.

This is a photo of a puppy having his BAER Test conducted:

BAER Test 1.jpg
    2048 x 1360 - 141K
    BAER Test 2.jpg
    2048 x 1360 - 191K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you both for your input. Dolly was staring at the oven the little blighter!

Yes she was tested she had a BAER Test when she was 7 weeks which deemed that she was deaf in her right ear. The breeder who has been brilliant informed us immediately but we had already fallen in love with her, i just wondered if there were any complications in later life etc , and could a test also be wrong she does not appear to be deaf and like i say her ears are always up and both flicker when you speak to her like shes really paying attention. 

We love her regardless of whether she is fully deaf or partially but could a vet be fooled by a puppy perhaps playing up on test day.

The BAER Tests are very accurate but if you have any doubt you could also have her retested. Did the breeder provide you with the results of her BAER Test? If so, could you post it so I could see the levels she received? If the breeder was upfront with you and provided you with hard copy evidence of her testing I commend them. I just hope they didn't price her as they would a puppy free from genetic disorder.

I can't say I blame you for falling in love with her because she is as cute as they come. In the event she is hearing you and has you thinking her hearing is normal than I'd say she's doing excellent and is not bothered by her handicap.

If the BAER Test resulted in readings which depicted her to be deaf in one ear I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done to correct it. She obviously picked up the recessive gene coming from the now extinct "White Terrier" which were predominantly deaf. Solid white BT's have by far the highest chances of being born with this hereditary fault which is why many breeders will not breed a white male to a white female unless they know their bloodlines very well and have colored BT's within their 2nd generation.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for your advice

To be truly honest the breeder did not knock any money off we still paid the advertised price for her!

I have attached Dollys Baer results. Please let me know if you think it means she is fully deaf in the right ear or slightly.

I may well pay for a new test now she is a little older but if it isnt troubling her it may be wise to leave alone.

pdf
    pdf
    dollys scan results.pdf
    That test sheet is different than the one I am used to seeing. However, it does show that your puppy did not respond to the sounds during the testing. It appears as though the test was in fact pretty accurate. On a good note, at least her hearing in her left ear appears fine. With this said, I don't think being deaf in her right ear will have too much negative effect on her. Dogs have great hearing to begin with and I imagine there wouldn't be much noticeable difference on what you can hear compared to what she can hear.

Obviously it's a genetic fault so she would not be within proper standards to breed but there's little to prevent her from leading a great life and enjoying her faithful companionship.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for taking a look.

we was never going to breed her ( i would not be able to part with them) me and my partner had that discussion whilst talking about getting a further pup. We lost our other Bully Sadie last year after 13 years and we didnt breed her either. We thought long and hard before getting another its so heartbreaking when they pass! As much as i love them i couldnt cope with more than one running around.

I can understand that. They can be a handful at times but they are so much fun.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    ( Being in the electronics business) I am still praying that there was just an instrument malfunction or someone just didn't plug an electrode in properly... ***t happens... Worthwhile doing a retest in my view. I'm holding thumbs
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks Phil may just do a retest. Take last night she was asleep there was a baby crying on the tv that was it she was straight up running round trying to find it bless her she is so much fun a little naughty at times but hey she is only a baby its to be expected!