Skip to content

Best time to neuter

I was hoping to get some information on what might be the best age to neuter Charlie. I've decided I definitely want to neuter him but I don't want to do so too early or too late (if that makes sense). I didn't want to stunt his development or growth (he's about 8 months now and weighing 45lbs.), but I also know that I do not plan on breeding him and would like to do the safest thing for my boy. Thoughts on what would be the ideal time? He recently started humping but that has been minimal with redirecting and training. He just started to mark but I haven't found any evidence of him doing it at home, just when out on walks. Any insight would certainly be appreciated.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2016

Only Neuter to protect the life of the dog when it is really required.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited April 2016
    As the answers before mine already indicate this is such a controversial topic that I dare to state, it's impossible to find THE one right answer for you within a forum community.

I myself can also only tell you that I think spaying/ neutering should only be performed to eliminate serious risks - such as health issues - and never just for convenience.

But you have made your decision. So why not go and discuss the best time to "cut the cord" directly with your vet, who should know about those things and will probably also be the one to perform the procedure.
  • If he's going to hump, he's going to hump. I don't think neutering will take that out of the equation.

I have not had a male dog, but from other people online that seem to support neutering, I'd probably wait till he was at least a year.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Female Dogs hump too. It's a dominance act.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com