Skip to content

How do you keep a 5 month old mbt calm & "resting?"

Oh sure. She's madder than mad.
image.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 790K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Take her on a 1/2 mile run , or a two mile hike... She'll be calm and very relaxed
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I wish! Vet said "rest" for a couple more weeks!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Oh! I didn't catch that part of the story....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited March 2016
    Yeah this is a tough time for the two of you. If you feed kibble, maybe it's an idea to make her "work" for part of it by rewarding calm behavior. Sounds odd at first, but it works and she is also learning a valuable lesson for the future.
    Also many EBT's like brushing and massages. If you can do this without interfering with the healing process, more cuddle units a day and maybe actively rewarding (treats and praise) every calm behavior to make it clear to her THAT is what you want from her right now, could make things a little easier.

It will, however, pretty sure not be the only way to reliably keep her from rampaging at some point.
    I don't want to set the hopes too high. This situation is a nightmare and at some point you will probably have to stop a sudden Bully run, because she just gets carried away and will be "bursting" from her own energy.

Also if she tolerates it, her injury allows for that kind of movements and you are giving such things to her, some raw hide or similar chew treats may be an idea, at least temporarily, to keep her a little busy now and then - just not unattended, but I think she is under supervision most of the time anyways right now.

I would not want to switch places with you right now, to be completely honest.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the healing goes quickly, so things get back to normal for both of you.
  • Wow, thank you so much for your time. This is definatley a challenging time for all of us, but we'll survive! We've tried pretty much everything you've suggested, except the rewarding for calm behavior, which we'll try. And yes, we're with her 24/7, so my poor baby doesn't have a chance, lol! I'll be soooo glad when we're past this. Thank goodness it wasn't a more serious injury. And you're right, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!
    Thank you again for taking the time to offer suggestions! It's truly appreciated!
  • We went through 9 weeks of no playing, no jumping, no running, no stairs, thanks to a broken leg. Very frustrating for both of us, especially since she was 10 months old when it happened! Honestly the only way I kept her still was to give her toys. I bought a LOT of toys and things for her to chew on.

Hope your baby heals up quickly!