Skip to content

Best grain free food currently available???

I've been feeding my pup blue buffalo wilderness puppy chicken recipe for the last few months and it seems every time I tell someone what she eats they keep talking about issues people have had and recalls etc.

So my question is what is the best grain free food out there for a 4 month old pup ( I feed her kibble with some wet can food mixed in)?

Thanks,

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Sadly there's just no one answer to this question. Dogs have different needs and it's impossible to meet them all with just one recipe and call it "THE BEST GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD" - although I think many manufacturers like to label their product as such. :)

For a healthy dog with no limitations (yeast overgrowth, kidney problems etc.) that require limited ingredient diets there's a number of different good quality kibble brands on the market. Most of them also produce canned food. I am no expert in terms of canned food, because I am using fresh meats, fish, innards, eggs and veggies instead to mix with the kibble I feed.
    There are also freeze dried fresh dog foods available, which I would feed rather than canned either, if I would want to switch from fresh meats. Many of them are really good.

The following brands offer grain-free varieties and are worth taking a closer look at, because they are all good quality: Orjien, Merrick, Victor, Canidae, Performatrin, Dr. Tim's Kinesis.

They all offer grain-free, puppy and/ or "all stages" formulas.
    The good brands are all located in the upper price range though. There are some less expensive, yet still good brands/ products around. In terms of kibble I've learned this rule of thumb: The cheaper the product, the less meat content. It's not a general rule for EVERY brand. But there's a pattern showing when comparing products. When it gets really cheap you will also encounter a lot of fillers, by-products and all the things you don't want your dog to eat.

The good ones among the less expensive brands are often plant-based, while the brands mentioned above (often also besides plant-based varieties) offer meat-based varieties.

Dogfoodadvisor holds a lot of information ready on dog foods. I post the link to their "best of" list - so you can comb through that. The entire site is very informative. But once I decide to look deeper into a product, I often double check by looking at customer reviews on Amazon, for example, or just digging around on Google.

Blue Buffalo is off my list since I've read about things like this (only one of many different sources):
    http://poisonedpets.com/blue-buffalo-gets-slammed-by-a-shit-storm-of-consumer-lawsuits-based-on-deceptive-advertising-claims/

I am afraid they are not the only brand using mislabeling and misleading advertising. But they are one manufacturer that got caught doing it (not that the competitor Purina who dragged it all into daylight would be much of a better choice regarding the quality of their products).
    It's funny though that you never see one of the real good-quality brands advertising on TV promising your dog will grow wings after eating their food. Ok, I don't watch a lot of TV. But it strikes me.

Besides the food itself there are supplements to consider. Reasonable add-ons to consider are: salmon oil, Nuvet or Nupro, virgin ACV, virgin coconut oil, certain herbs and probiotics.

I hope the input helps a litte. I'm sure others will weigh in with other suggestions.
  • Thank you for your in depth response. 

I agree about blue buffalo, I thought I was doing good by my pup until I started reading up on everything and if I'm going to pay their price I may as well pay it for something better. 

I will look into some of those other brands you listed, In another month or two I plan to switch her to part kibble and part raw (Darwin, they have made it easy), but for now I think she's to young to go raw in my opinion. 

I do give her salmon oil (which everyone comments about her coat) along with ACV (she actually likes it in her water) and probiotics. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • http://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition/

Thank you, I had read that and got to reading about taste of the wild and then noticed it's a diamond product and all they recalls they've had, I am currently trying to read up on Victor.

I try to find a food one of my local dog stores carries so that if I happen to run out I am not panicking waiting for the mail. 
  • ... I will look into some of those other brands you listed, In another month or two I plan to switch her to part kibble and part raw (Darwin, they have made it easy), but for now I think she's to young to go raw in my opinion...
    We have been feeding Darwin and I can only say good things about that food ... regarding ingredients, acceptance by the dog, delivery and customer service!
    It's expensive, but on the other hand very close to what we are paying in our area for raw meats etc. And absolutely worth it, if you want fresh food delivered frozen directly to your door step without the hassles that come along when preparing fresh food yourself!

I think I remember that we switched Djamila to adult dog food somewhere between nine to twelve months of age and also did not feed raw before that.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I decided to go with victor after finds a few local suppliers. Thanks for the guidance. 
    :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Well I got the Victor dog food and started slowing mixing it in with the blue buffalo and she has now essentially turned her nose up to her food. She will walk over smell it and walk away, only eating if it's been there for a while and she gets hungry enough I suppose.

Should I just keep putting it out and eventually she'll eat it or does anyone have any advice? She was never a picky eater before. 
    Leaving food out is a bad idea because they won't build up the appetite and desire to eat like they should. If it was me, I would fast him for a day and then introduce him to some Victor with a little bit of wet food mixed in. It's obvious he is getting finicky right now. Refrain from the table food and snacks and you'll see him looking forward to each meal. Some people have much better success by feeding their Bullie one big meal a day vice two times a day. This ensures they build up a hearty appetite and eat everything in their bowl knowing it will be a while before they eat again. Your Bullie's issue isn't the food but the fact that he has no desire to eat most likely because he is provided food often and has gotten spoiled.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for the insight. I don't normally leave it out longer than an hour, she used to chow down and eat everything but I think your right, her mom is a little treat happy and spoils her. I will cut all out all treats/snacks etc and see how it goes. 

I'll put her food out and if she doesn't eat it within 10 minutes, that's it till next meal. 
  • edited March 2016
    SO disappointed! I have to retract my recommendation of Merrick Dog Food.
    So far it’s not due to the quality.
    But I just learned that of all possible companies one of THE most highly disputed one did take over Merrick last year - Nestle.
    How could I miss that for so long?

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/news-center/news-releases/merrick-pet-care-announces-purchase-agreement-by-nestle-purina-petcare-company

The one I am feeding now will be the last bag of Merrick I buy for the forseeable future. With Nestle behind this dog food now (and brands such as Purina in their portfolio and an inhuman water policy …), I just don't trust in the future of the quality of this product and I am trying not to support inhuman and price-oriented manufacturing philosophies.

So sad.
    Why do small enterprises whose original goal obviously was to specifically design BETTER products than giants such as Nestle eventually sell themselves out to exactly those giants just for a bag of money.
    Did they really not make enough money back when Merrick was an independent brand?

With all the things I find out day by day I really wonder when I will have to start thinking REALLY hard about my options and what’s being left that I can still eat myself and feed my dog any longer, if I want to continue stop supporting inhuman manufacturing practices and use of unhealthy food ingredients for the sake of the bargain.
    It’s so frustrating.
  • Djammy, while doing my research I did notice they were bought out by purina. I mentioned this to my local pet store and she stated they are selling the last of what they have and then not restocking it. 

I ended up trying Victor with no avail, after 4-5 days of her barely eating 1/4 of her meal with no treats and fasting one day. Victor food is literally the only thing this dog has not ate she's like a garbage disposal.
      I switched over to Taste of the wilderness high prairie and she LOVES it she eats her entire cup to a cup and half in mere minutes and so far no gas like blue buffalo. 
  • edited March 2016
    I am probably giving myself a harder time than necessary trying to figure out the kibble foods that are actually MEAT based and not plant based.
    In general it is more of a gut feeling and possibly also irrational that feeding meat based kibble to me feels closer to a "natural" nutrition than feeding plant based.
    Probably no kibble is really comparable to or can really replace a raw, “prey-model” diet.

But what I know at least for sure is that there are significant differences between proteins regarding digestion, quality, value for the body etc. Also I know that plant sourced protein is just not the same as animal sourced protein.
    Most meat based kibbles are high protein diets at the same time. But funny enough though: at least initially not every dog tolerates that well (no speaking about dogs with kidney problems as a special case). I was not able to figure out the reason so far. Are dogs already that domesticated and used to highly processed foods full of grains, fillers and all of those other “unnatural” ingredients that their stomachs are no longer ready to deal with high amounts of protein? Wouldn’t one assume that high protein is the closest option to “natural” eating for a dog?

That of course does not matter, if the dog simply does not WANT the food you are offering. Sad to hear that your dog did not want Victor.

When I browse through reviews I sometimes feel like the better dry foods sometimes seem to have a harder time to be accepted by dogs, compared to cheap foods that are rich in fillers, fats and flavor enhancers.
    Fat and flavor enhancers make the food more attractive to the dog, no matter if they are healthy or not.

Anyway, all thoughts aside, there are a lot of plant based kibbles that are also considered high quality. TOTW to my knowledge is one of them. And if your dog likes and tolerates Taste of the wild, I am happy for you that you found it as your option to go with.
  • TOTW rates pretty high and she eats it so I'm about as happy as I can be just wished I would have bought a smaller bag of Victor to begin with (she normally inhales everything) as she gets older I will transition her to a part kibble part raw diet. 
  • Maybe you can try and smuggle some pieces of the victor among her new TOTW bit by bit without her noticing and empty that big bag over time that way.  :))

But I guess it's going to be tough. EBT's are smart and hard to bluff. 
    :D
    Just out of curiosity, which Victor did you provide your Bullie with? I have yet to see a Bull Terrier turn their nose up to this food.

Victor.png
    972 x 362 - 399K
    Victor.jpg
    300 x 300 - 55K
    Victor 2.jpg
    918 x 1632 - 534K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited March 2016
    Steve, I am currently considering the switch to Victor. Which variety/ varieties are you feeding?

I was thinking about the joint formula for active dogs. But I read that in order to be effective the dosage of the Gluco*samine (sorry for the way I spell it, but the forum does not allow me to write this word in whole, just doesn't let me save my comment then ???) in the food would have to be much higher than it actually is.

Therefore it is recommended to use Gluco*samine supplements instead.
    Any thoughts on that?

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2016
    You mean: Glucosamine?
    That's very weird that the site wouldn't let you spell it properly... Must be a communist intelligence plot.... Have you thought of Pure Vita? Djammy/ Steve?... I love that stuff almost as much as the kids do.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Steve, 

I tried the one to the far left the grain free for all life stages. She normally eats anything but she wouldn't touch it unless she hadn't eaten in a day. 
  • edited March 2016
    @Philsergeant
    Yes, I tried to save my comment and ruled out word after word when it would not let me. So I eventually got to the Gluco*samine that the forum didn't want. And it would also not let me do it this time. I can't even quote what you said with that word in it.
    :D

I've actually been looking into Pure Vita already, after you had mentioned it somewhere else in the forum as your "go-to" food and recommended it enthusiastically. Especially because you mentioned that it seems to help Isabella staying free of yeast problems. And the results/ photos always speak for themselves.
    On Amazon I also only find promising reviews.

The only thing that makes me hesitate for now is that I am currently on the hunt for a MEAT based-kibble. And dogfoodadvisor says this food is plant-based. That does not necessarily make it a bad food, but at the moment that is not what I am looking for. I also tried to find some more reviews online other than dogfoodadvisor, because of all the available varieties the one I would want to choose - Bison and Pea - in only rated 3.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.
    I find the overall rating surprising at first sight, because the list of ingredients looks fine to me.
    What I see on dogfoodadvisor is that in the analyzed variety the protein content is lower compared to other foods. And that together with the meat content seems to be the factor leading to the eventual rating.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/pure-vita-grain-free-dog-food/

I hate to rely only on dogfoodadvisor with such decisions, but I was not able to find out anything else on the Internet so far. That's actually why I have currently considered other foods, such as Victor, because they offer high protein meat-based varieties.
    My bag of Merrick is emptying and I will soon need to make a decision. But, if possible, for now I only want to switch Djamila one time in order to avoid upetting her stomach too much. I may as well get back to your recommendation eventually. Have not definitively made up my mind for now. Still in the researching process. Especially if I experience similar phenomena as littlemack, I will likely have to reevaluate my strategy anyways.