Skip to content

Eye Troubles

So things with Icarus have been going well and we've settled into a routine. He goes to daycare on Saturdays to get socialization and give me a break :). A few of the handlers at daycare have mentioned to me that they think he might have some vision problems (one of them has an EBT as well so she's familiar with the breed). I will admit he does seem to have trouble tracking objects if they are thrown, and will bump into things a bit, however it's never been anything big enough for me to think much of it.  Since this isn't a sudden change in status, I am guessing it may be another congenital issue for him. I'll probably take him to see the vet next month (this isn't an emergency and I'd rather wait to go see my dad then pay for a visit here), but I was wondering if you guys had any guesses on what the issue might be. I tried googling to see if there any eye issues that are commonly seen in deaf EBTs but I didn't come across anything definitive. I've looked in both of his eyes and the pupils aren't ragged or blown, and both are clear without any scratches. He did have goopy eyes for a bit, so I treated with some eye drops, but he was having the same behaviors before then so I don't think it was infection related.
This is more out of curiosity, this doesn't seem to be an impediment for him other than making him extra clumsy and I doubt there is a fix for anything. It surprises me even more that he may have trouble seeing, and he can't hear but he is still so sweet and I haven't seen any aggression at all. I'll never understand why someone tossed him.

Comments

• I think one issue might just be his nose, haha. My bullie is awful at catching balls in the air, and when she plays with tennis balls, I often see her looking down at an exaggerated angle, presumably to see over her nose. I often wondered if she had vision problems when she was younger because sometimes she couldn't even see treats, but I still believe that it was a combination of excitement and a big nose. :)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2016
    First thing is "how the heck did we all miss this post for nearly a month without a response"??? Where have we all been, nice find Quinn.  It's strange, Marco's eye-mouth coordination is fascinating.... He will catch the tiniest treat no matter how fast you toss it and where.. He never misses a tennis ball, even catches a second one straight after he has caught the first. Isabella enthusiastically tries to catch things, but mostly bonks them with her nose movement. I think it's an eye/nose coordination thing not a vision thing because she will see a lizard on the far side of the pool deck and dart after it before Marco even wakes up to what's goin' on.  I honestly think she just doesn't give a shit for silly things ... like a lizard she will dart for and grab in a split second.... weird.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • haha yep, Quinn has the same issue as Isabella, the tennis balls usually just bonk her right in the nose. Kind of makes the game more fun cause she'll bounce them off her nose across the entire yard. And she can spot me dropping things of the counter no problem ;)

I just visit the forums every now and again to dig up some old threads that need responses, bless their hearts
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    And Bless Yours!!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.