Skip to content

House breaking issues! Need HELP ASAP!!!

I know this has been answered and posted hundreds of times but i have tried EVERYTHING when it comes to house breaking my baby diva and NOTHING is working! I am so frustrated because she is 4 months old and she is still peeing and pooping in the house at least 7-10 times a day more pee then poo. I have tried shadowing her, I have tried a schedule,I have kept her in eyes sight every minute and when i couldn't she was caged and she still messed in the house after she was left out side to potty . I will take her out and two minutes after she comes in she will pee while im standing right in front of her. I could have her outside for an hour and she will come in and mess. Is it shes getting to much water when fed? Is that something i should watch? if so how much is recommended? I know its nothing health wise because she was just at the vet. Im not sure if its because the person i purchased her from NEVER tried to house break her as a puppy. I bought her at 11 weeks and it hasnt gotten any better. I dont know what to do! Any and all help is appreciated! 
IG SN: ashleykne2

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2016
    Two main questions:
    First, what are the consequences of pooing/peeing in the house? She needs to get a whack on her butt, have her nose rubbed in the mess and placed outside on the grass. Apparently she doesn't yet understand that it displeases you. She needs to be put on the grass first thing in the morning and shortly after she eats, and praised highly if she goes outside. She needs to be taken out regularly to pee, and praised when she goes.
    The second question is whether you have any materials indoors where odor can remain...?? If she smells excrement on carpet or bedding, she will believe that's the place to go. You may even need to go as far as throwing old fabrics away, if they can't be 110% cleaned. Even at her age she should only poop twice a day and pee perhaps 5 or 6 times... If she is going more frequently than that then she needs a vet visit. She has obviously developed a bad habit and now it's going to be harder to correct it. But if you go back to basics it must work. But remember it's timing, routine, routine, timing, routine..... she must be taken like clockwork, clockwork to get her system inline.  No changes on the weekends.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @philsergeant  First question i have done everything you have said. Tile floor in my kitchen and i clean it with bleach. I have a routine down and it doesnt work. Had her to the vet and everything is fine.. As far as the water intake is concerned how much should a pup have and how often? I only give her water at meal times unless she has been out for a romp outside.
  • That is a tough one!!  Does she go just on bare floor or do you have puppy pads down??  It does sound like she doesn't "get it"!  Does she hold it when crated? like through the night?  Tea' was harder to train than Hannah.  She kept going through the night in her crate.,,pooping.  I was sooooo frustrated!  I tried feeding her supper earlier, keeping her up later etc. nothing worked.  When I discussed it with the vet, she did say some dogs take til their 4-6 mos. before they can really "hold it".  But she only did it through the night.  So I put her in a smaller crate with all bedding, no place to "go" and that did the trick!!  She has Never messed in her crate or anywhere again.  It was shortly after she turned 4 mos.

The water thing...........both my bullies drink Tons of water all day long!!!  And they also have water mixed in with their food at meal time.  They eat twice daily.  If you are with holding water during the day, she may be over drinking cause she doesn't know when she'll get water again.  Then she has to pee tons and very suddenly cause her bladder has gotten so big, she can't hold it to even get outside.  I would let her drink as much as she wants through out the day.  I take my bullies water up between 7-8 at night, depending on their activity level that day and the weather.  Obviously if its not wicked hot!!

Another thing you could try is sucking up the urine with a baster (if its on bare floor) and taking it outside, with Diva, and releasing it in a spot you wish her to go.  I would do that with the poop too.  Dogs love to go the bathroom in the same spot where they can smell previous urine etc.  If she goes on a puppy pad, take one of those outside that she has used.  And like Phil says, be persistent and consistent!!!  Good luck, I hope this may help.
  • No I am not with holding her water I asked if I should. She is going on my tile floor. She doesn't potty in her crate at all. She does go outside sometimes but prefers my kitchen floor. I use bleach to clean the floor because I was told that was the only thing that would work. Is this wrong? She does get fed twice a day and get water in with her good also. When she goes and I say what did you so she goes and sits on the step almost like she knows she did wrong but yet she still will do it 5 minutes later...
    @mommyofDIVA .... You didn't talk to the "punishment" she is getting..??. talking with her about it isn't going to help, screaming at her is likely to let her know it displeases you, but is more likely to upset her.  Tough love is needed.  Sounds like you need to take her out and stay or leave her there until she goes... (hope you don't live somewhere cold)... But she obviously has it on board because she torpedoes it within 5 minutes....  So hang out there and praise her, give her treats once she gets it. Don't hold back on water... they have amazingly strong bladders and once she learns she'll tell you when she needs to go... My daughter's smart-arse dogs ring a little bell... mine just bark loudly at the door !  For pee take her frequently (too frequently), and to poo she only really needs to go first thing and in the late evening.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I am wondering if maybe the snow has anything to do with her confusion.. Maybe its covering up her scent out side? Just a thought. I have gone as back to the basics as i can started her on a every 10 minutes potty break fallowed by treats when she is going outside hoping this work. If i can do this for a week then ill move her to every 15 then 20 and so on and so forth. Hoping and praying this works!!!
  • Well the punishment aspect of it is getting wacked on the bum and a finger shook in her face and i say no bad girl in a firm voice i also stick her nose in it. I dont sit there and have a conversation with her and explain to her that, thats bad. Im not an IDIOT !  Yes i do live some where cold so leaving her out side in 16 degree weather isnt something im going to do as she will get hypothermia. Im not going to beat my dog. i think a wack on the bum is good enough as physical punishment. But doing the smacking is doing nothing so is it even worth it? 
  • edited February 2016
    Just want to throw in another perspective here:
    In terms of punishing “doing businesses in the house” I would be very careful. A very unpleasant consequence could be that the dog will start to seek hidden spots and only do it when you are not looking, because it becomes scared of the consequences.

If the dog NEEDS to go, punishment will not change that - only the behavior.
    So you are probably better off with a dog NOT being afraid of doing it even right in front of you and instead I would take a deeper look into the causes of the matter.

You said your dog is four months old. That’s a) not an unlikely age for still peeing her pants considering your dog is still a puppy. And b) it tells me that your dog has probably not been in the household for a very long time already.
    You also say she does NOT soil her crate and nothing is physically wrong with her.
    Well, that’s great news already!

It could mean that she has probably already accepted the crate as her HOME, while kitchen and the rest of the house may still feel foreign or “outside her home” to her.
    She needs to learn what her territory is. Once this feeling includes your entire home, provided she is physically ok, she will start to avoid soiling her home (= your home).

My advice is to give her some more time and keep handling it like you already do.
    You can try to use potty pads, but do not rely too much on them. For some owners the pheromones on them work, for others they don’t.

Every time you go outside with her, don’t accept her NOT going. Stay outside with her - as long as it takes - until she has done her business.
    The really enthusiastically praise and/or reward her with a treat. Make going outside a happy experience for her.
    Also you can introduce a keyword, such as “potty” or so. Just say it every time you go outside with her. Sooner or later she will connect the dots and now that “potty” means to go outside.
    Placing pee and poop of hers outside to mark a “potty” spot is worth a try.

Also if you catch her in the act, just grab her an carry her outside, even if she has juuust finished. Say you keyword and stay outside with her for a moment - she will probably NOT do any more business then obviously, but it gives her a chance to connect being outside to peeing and no.2’s.

When Djamila was young going outside felt like a million times each day.
    Stay strong, keep cleaning the messes really good like you already do and allow her more time to adjust.
    Make her go after every play time, nap, eating, drinking. Have her on a fixed feeding schedule (leave the water accessible all day, that’s probably not your core problem here, if you ask me).
    If possible try to limit her access to other rooms to limit damages and just hang on. The one day when she get’s it - it will come!
    Every dog has its own learning speed with things.
  • @Djammy My husband has suggested the age thing as well and i do believe some one here also has. I have been doing pretty much everything you said. like i previously posted i have put her on this potty every 10 mins to try to get her to grasp the issue here lol. I also was worried about her resenting the fact shes scared to go potty in fear of being wacked. I have read alot on this forum and have tried everything every one has suggested, so i guess thats why its so frustrating because every one has there own opinion of what works for them and there dog, just thought id get lucky and find one that works for Diva lol thank you for you help and words of encouragement!!!
  • edited February 2016
    That's so true, everybody sure does, and often people are successful with the most different approaches. You need to figure out the best one for you and your girl.
    Potty training is challenging to many owners. I think it took us almost ten weeks or even longer with Djamila. Once the coin has dropped, you will have a hard time to remember how you even did it. I became an expert with good odor killing natural cleaners and I can't even remember how many times I've carried dripping Djamila outside, messing the floor all the way to the yard to show her where she is supposed to go. But the day came.

Actually going outside every ten minutes, in case that is meant literally, could be even too much and confusing. Because when she is outside that often without doing any business, she may not get the point. I remember trying to count how often Djamila really peed and pooped a day - inside and outside all together - and tried to go outside with her that often, trying to stick to the key times - after naps, eating etc. - PLUS the times I carried her outside dripping.
    I also was one of the owners who was successful with potty pads, well kind of - she used them for potty but also loved to shred them.
    They're cute as a button, but also a pain in the neck when young ... The reward for your patience in the form of a devoted family member comes with delay.
  • So far the every ten minutes is working and when i say potty she goes to the door. so, so far so good! I am praying this works! @Djammy =D>
  • My puppy's three months old and is doing really good I watch him like a hawk he's averaging one accident per day always pee never poop I have him out atleast every 30 minutes or whenever he starts sniffing around my pups very food motivated so he know he gets a treat as soon as he goes. When he does go I give him a small spank and say NO and go outside with him and wait for him to go. He only wants to go in my dining room for some reason so I put a baby gate  up so he can't get in there and put another one in the doorway of my living room so he's confined to one room so it's easier to watch him closely. I also have a pitbull so he watches her go and follows her around outside. 
    Hi Melody, welcome. I see this is your first post . First thing that strikes a nerve is that he always wants to go in the dining room. Could be that he smells some scent there that is probably not just his previous "goes". The males' tendancy is to want to mask the scent of other dogs. It could be old? Is it carpet? And possibly not even dog urine, perhaps a wine spill of old. He seems to be smelling something there. It could take some cleaning if I am right. In the house we own now there was a smell on the carpeted stairs ( that the seller masked really well until we bought) because apparently their yapper dogs peed in this one spot so bad that the wooden stair beneath the carpet was ( stink) stained to such a degree we virtually had to rip the wood out and tiled the complete stairway. If you keep him away from that area completely ( as well as cleaning it with bleach/ chlorine ( professionally done?) ) it may alleviate the distraction and allow you to fully potty train him. Good luck, please keep posting.
  • We had an awful time getting Bianca fully potty trained and we work at home. She literally just put her big girl panties on at about 8 1/2 months! I know bullies are stubborn but i swear she's the leader of the stubborn pack! We tried everything and she pretty much laughed in our face and said she would do it when she was dam good and ready. She literally woke up one day and decided it was time to give us a break. I have never had a dog that it took so long
  • I don't think so we just had our hard wood floor sanded and re finished about 2 months ago we have a drop sheet down on the ground because we were painting and never picked it up its something about the drop sheet because that's what he pees on not the floor but since putting the gates up so he can't go in there we having had any accidents at all. 
    Did you mean... "so he can't go in there we haven't had any accidents at all"... well that's the secret then... no dining room, no drop sheets, all good?
  • If she is still going indoors, try taking her out on her leash so she can stay focused on the task. Once she's done, then let her off. My pup is younger but that has really helped a lot.
  • Bruiser doesnt poop in the house anymore, but with some of his farts.. he may as well!

:((