Skip to content

Skin and Nail Issues

Hello!  New Mom/Dad to a 5yr old Female BT named Azteca.  When rescued, she had bumps on her body.  The vet recommended Fish Oil and they cleared up.  About 6 weeks ago, she developed these bumps on her mouth area.  Took her to the vet and he said it was most likely an allergic reaction to her food.  She has been eating Kirkland brand dog food, salmon flavor, since we have had her - Sep 2015.  He gave us 2 scripts (sorry, can't remember exactly, but one was a pill and the other was powder) and also a script for Hills Science Diet.  Gave her the meds for 8 of the 10 days and no improvement whatsoever. Did not purchase the Hills SD food.  I wasn't totally convinced it's a food allergy, so I thought I would try the coconut oil first.  I was on your site and saw a forum about yeast infections and thought maybe that was it, so I bought coconut oil and used for 2 weeks, with no improvement.  The belly marks come and go.  The toenails and mouth sores are getting worse :(.  Azteca is out first BT and we could really use some guidance.  I also did reading on the Hills SD and wasn't comfortable giving it to her.  Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Hi @RenShelley we too are new parents to a fabulous bull terrier! That being said I can only offer what I have learned from here. I'm not sure if the kibble you are feeding is grain free but if it's not the first thing I found out was to make the switch to grain free. Virgin coconut oil is amazing both topical (as a good massage for the pooch and your hands) as well being fed to your fur baby ( amount and how often I'm currently trying to find out but i will let you know as soon as i find out) plain yogurt a tbsp twice a day (if she can handle dairy Layla has no issues) Also nuvet supplements are amazing and I really do recommend them. I'm not sure if it's one particular thing I changed or a combination of all of them (slowly, over 7-10 days) but in the last couple of weeks it really has helped! Layla too had a rash on her toes and on her tummy, from what I could figure out it is caused by excess yeast (she has a tucked vulva and often times there and around/ between her toes got a little brownish looking ) I started wiping her down (tummy and all) once a day with a unscented baby wipe then drying with a paper towel paying special attention to between the toes and this seemed to help a bunch. As far as her lips go Layla had what sounds similar to what your describing when we first got her and I suspected it may be from moisture I'm not sure if this is strictly a Layla thing or not but when she drinks she sounds like a cow (literally though it's still cute) and it's like she doesn't lick her lips so it's quite the wet affair each time. I just started patting her mouth dry when I have the chance and again it could be coincidence but it did help plus she thinks it's a game each of us trying to beat the other to the punch. Me trying to dry her mouth and her trying to drip as much water as possible in my lap. I hope this helps a little! 

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @Laylas_Mommy .... First so nice to see you diligently applying the study & the love.... There is nothing better than the feeling that you are probably giving a Bullie back as much love as they gush out!!!!
    @RenShelley .... Some photos of the issues would help us a lot... Thankfully I am inexperienced in this particular subject but I think, from what you describe ( as far as the mouth is concerned) are lip warts... Do a search on "warts" in the search bar above your name and study what comes up. Do a search on the dog foods you mention on Dogfoodadvisor.com... I don't know the foods you mention... But get him on a five star grain free... Food is everything, add cooked chicken, raw meat ( sloooooowly as recommended elsewhere on the site) ... But photos will help us understand the problems.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    @RenShelley ... I just looked at your identity icon, and he is a wnderful looking fella.. From far, his nails look red, could be wrong, but if so, avoid all potato/ carbs in diet/kibble.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I have a rescue English bull terrier all white. She was on a pedigree diet and the owner never knew she had allergies. She came to us with patches of hair missing and skin sores. I am a bit of a hippie so I tried coconut oil. Works wonders. In just 3 weeks her patches stayed filling in.
    @RenShelley was unable to post photo's so I am posting these for him (her?).... The groin and nails are not bad, just need some general wellness and yeast reduction treatment... Can anyone talk to the lip issue.... I (thankfully) haven't had that problem....imageimageimage
    0203162013a-1.jpg
    2028 x 2052 - 919K
    0203162013-1.jpg
    2363 x 1446 - 377K
    0203162013b-1.jpg
    1890 x 2645 - 728K
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    @RenShelley

Chooba has had what looks like the exact same thing in the exact location a few times in the past.

We go to the great lakes as well as numerous inland lakes every summer. There are a few small lakes that whenever Chooba is exposed to he has that reaction. I can only attribute it to chemicals. organisms ect that are exclusive to those bodies of water that are causing an allergic reaction. As when he goes for a swim elsewhere he is fine and when there is a breakout, within 1-2 hours of being completely dried and cleaned of the suspect water the bumps are gone.
    Now I'm not saying its the water in your case, but something that is in or around her mouth may be the culprit.

You say the bumps are getting worse. I can only think that exposure is either increasing, or something is further irritating the reaction. Any topical ointments, like coconut oil maybe magnifying the outbreak.

If she did not have those bumps before 6 weeks ago, what changed in the last 3 months ? Food, treats, medications, oils, detergent used on bedding.......something brought this out.
    Are you sure the bumps werent either just smaller, or not discolored before ? Could a recent treatment for one ailment aggravated another ?

If you are unable to find the culprit, there are Vet provided and even over the counter allergy test kits that would more than pay for themselves if used, both in long term expense and peace of mind for both you and her. That and a supplement like NuVet to build her immune system may work wonders to minimize and/or eradicate and reactions both now and in the future.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Great advice @chooba !    :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Do any of you guys have suggestions about foot baths? I know some people like apple cider vinegar and other people like anti-fungal soap. Icarus has nails that are even redder than that, and he has some spots on his inner thighs that look a bit suspect to me.

He's on grain-free food (was on Taste of the Wild puppy and now I've switched to another brand because he was being a diva and clearly bored of that kind), and I give him coconut oil in his food everyday (I wasn't sure about putting it on his feet since that might make them more moist). I'm wording if it's persisting from when he was on ABX for coccidia since I know his nails were't that bad when I got him and he wasn't on grain free food at the shelter.
  • One more thing, I was hoping some of you raw feeders could give me an opinion on this recipe. Reading more has me realizing that grain-free doesn't help much for yeast since any starch will turn into sugar and all dry dog foods need it as binders :/:

I would avoid any kibble with potato or sweet potato if he is very sensitive to yeast and gathers it easily. There are GF kibbles that use Red Lentils and green lentils and our dogs love them... Nothing wrong with a light coating of thick coconut oil between his toes, but better when you have the yeast under control otherwise you won't know whether he is food licking because of one or the other. We use Stella a Chewy's Raw (Frozen) you can also get it free-dried.... Go to their website, and see which one is better for you...www.stellaandchewys.com/products/dog-dinners/   It's not cheap but not as expensive as other brands that use tons of fillers... so you are paying for your dog to get "half a raw" diet when they put in veggies and powders.  Some people use Epson Salts & if you can get some Penny Royal add a few drops to the foot bath.  Red tummy spots could well be grass... You can get this "Grass" pet wipes to give his tum and feet a rub down after a nature outing.  if he had been on grain filled food a long time it is going to take you longer to break the pattern. Good luck, remember to pay your dues with photos.

• Hello!  New Mom/Dad to a 5yr old Female BT named Azteca.  When rescued, she had bumps on her body.  The vet recommended Fish Oil and they cleared up.  About 6 weeks ago, she developed these bumps on her mouth area.  Took her to the vet and he said it was most likely an allergic reaction to her food.  She has been eating Kirkland brand dog food, salmon flavor, since we have had her - Sep 2015.  He gave us 2 scripts (sorry, can't remember exactly, but one was a pill and the other was powder) and also a script for Hills Science Diet.  Gave her the meds for 8 of the 10 days and no improvement whatsoever. Did not purchase the Hills SD food.  I wasn't totally convinced it's a food allergy, so I thought I would try the coconut oil first.  I was on your site and saw a forum about yeast infections and thought maybe that was it, so I bought coconut oil and used for 2 weeks, with no improvement.  The belly marks come and go.  The toenails and mouth sores are getting worse :(.  Azteca is out first BT and we could really use some guidance.  I also did reading on the Hills SD and wasn't comfortable giving it to her.  Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Sounds like Lip Warts... do a search on lip warts in search bar above your name... besides bringing you back to this thread it'll take you to many discussions about the problems/ solutions to lip warts.... (Very fortunately) I am favored by not having any experience with them.... but I know they can be a curse.