Skip to content

Puppy exercise

Is it true that too much exercise as a pup can stunt an EBTs growth??? I read that somewhere but can't remember for sure if it's the EBT, or another breed I was researching at the time. Thx!!

Comments

• Too much or permanent exhaustion (e.g. from exercise) can definitely interfere with the healthy growth in any young individual - humans as well as animals.

Because besides energy outlets, a very young body also needs a lot of rest and time for the body to restore and grow as well.

The real question is: What is "too much"?
    That's impossible to answer without knowing any more details.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I cannot possibly see a scenario where any young dog would be "over-exercised".... I mean a dog ( particularly a Bullie) always knows when they have had enough... And there is no human that could keep up with a Bullie to drive them beyond that point. ( unless they take it in turns)....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Phil, believe it or not, I've even heard of dogs, who literally "dropped dead" from exhaustion after extreme play or work. There are some who really don't know when it's enough and who are not able to stop on their own.
    We've owned such a unique specimen once ourselves - an Am Staff. Luckily he did not die of exhaustion, but he was reckless.

I guess, a very extreme way of exercise, for example encouraging a puppy of just a few weeks to frequently pull very heavy weights could actually be harmful in terms of bone growth and joint development.

But I am absolutely with you regarding the assumption that in general it should be a hard endeavor for the average dog owner to overexercise a Bull Terrier to a point that it becomes dangerous to the dog.

Beyond that I think it is not possible to answer the question of the thread starter, because so far he/she did not specify any details.
    Wow! I am always ready to confess that an old fart still can learn something new every day! Have always, only, owned Bullies, I have always experienced them saying " hey! Comonn ! Enough already! Time to go home and chill out! It's either that or I'll lie down in this field and scratch my back" Bullies know when to stop... I'm amazed that there are dogs that don't know when to quit
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I was at the Vets office over the summer with a litter of pups getting their Health Tests and Vaccinations and couldn't help noticing a young Man coming out of the back examining rooms heading out the door bawling. I knew he had experienced something really bad and later asked my Vet what happened. He explained that he is feeling extremely guilty and blaming himself for the sudden death of his dog. That whole week we were experiencing some very hot weather. This guy was a runner and ran with his dog often. However, dogs can't really prepare for a long run in the sun and when an owner says "let's go" they get up with happiness and follow. A dog may not necessary fall dead from exhaustion but the risk of heat stroke is always something to be mindful of. This poor guy took his dog out for a run in some very hot weather and his dog collapsed on him. He rushed him to the Vets office but he was already gone. I just happened to see him leave after being told his dog was gone. Very sad.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    That is a horrible story!  That poor guy has a long time to live with that guilt and there's very little anyone can explain to him will relieve the pressure.  Ignorance is definitely not bliss. (At least I know I could never keep up with my dogs to get them to the point of much at all).