Skip to content

Layla Girl's skin

This is my sweet Layla.She absolutely stole our hearts two months ago. The day we brought her home I noticed a little bald spot on her face (was told it was from rough housing with her sisters) however she has continued to get more. The vet said it was a result of dry skin and sent us on our way (he did not do a scrape or anything). They are small scaly spots with no hair, they aren't red or anything, then a week ago I noticed her licking her leg and found another one this one though has little bumps and is a little pink. I immediately contacted the breeder and was told to get nu stock and apply. In a effort to see if this warranted another vet trip (I hate to stress her for no reason) I decided to investigate further and in doing so I found y'all! I have already learned more from here than any where else and could desperately use any advice. Layla is not only our first bull terrier but also the vet told us his too. He is an amaz 
20160117_210831-1.jpg
406 x 461 - 137K

Comments

• Awe your poor baby, have you thought about allergies? Maybe it's her food? I am new to this breed as well and everything i've been told and have researched says grains are likely to cause sink problems more in this breed then any other breed. how old is she? I've read there are a few skin disease that can happen in older dogs. I previously had a female pit who had MAJOR allergies and my vet recommended Benadryl. Obviously check with your vet before giving this to your pup but it did work for mine. Another thing is maybe she allergic to something you've laundered her bedding in. I couldn't use dryer sheets on bedding because she would break out in a rash. Also excessive licking will also cause a hot spot which are very annoying to any pup. I would think that if you try the food and it doesn't work or your pup gets worse you should probably have your vet do a scraping just to make sure it is nothing more serious. I hope this helps and you beautiful baby feels better soon.
    IG SN: ashleykne2
  • Layla is 5 1/2 months old. I'm beginning to think that it may be her food. She is otherwise a extremely active and happy puppy. Until today she was on Purina pro plan focus per her breeder. 3 cups a day with 2 tbls of pain yogurt in the morning and again in the afternoon. However after everything that I have read I started today switching her to Taste of the Wild puppy. I started last week adding 2 frozen banana slices to breakfast, and chopped carrots and celery to lunch and dinner. We have stopped giving manufactured treats and switched to green beans and apples with a hint of peanut butter for rewards. I have also ordered nuvet and grizzly salmon oil hopefully it will be in by the weekend. 
  • @MommyofDIVA I have read just about every forum on here about allergies and yeast. I have learned so much about Laylas breed! I'm currently trying to find the best shampoo for her.  I keep reading that people are giving them baths weekly and Laylas breeder told me too only give her one when absolutely necessary.  Thank you also for your response!   :D
  • your welcome! one of the best shampoos out there for dogs with skin problems and yest problems is called Zymox its a little pricey i think its 17-18$ for a 12or16oz bottle but works like a dream. I use to bath dogs professionally and we had a bull dog who had a yeast problem with his skin and we used it over his vet prescribed shampoo as it was doing absolutely nothing, and it worked wonders. 
    Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo, 12-Ounce
  • Thank you so much!  I found it on Amazon for $12. 
  • Awesome! your very welcome! @Laylas_Mommy
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2016
    HI Layla's Marmy!!! Most welcome, we promise to help as long as you promise to post photos and tales ( not tails) :-). Purina pro plan focus Is about the worst food possible for Bullies... The breeder must get a cheap deal somewhere. Go to dogfoodadvisor.com to rate any dog food.. You need to be sure to get a grain free food... Even treats should be grain free. Also things to avoid are potato and other starches, and sugars, yeast love to feed on those. You should also get her on a supplement like NuVet to enhance her immune system. Find meats that suit her, and/or fish... She needs a high protein diet. You'll have to see what meat suit her better, chicken least likely ( but cheapest) , pork, salmon, beef, bison... My girl has a kangaroo based kibble that she loves. There are lots of stings here where members discuss their kids skin challenges and successes ... Just do a search on "skin" and read a bunch. Her nails and paws look rather yeast free... So it might just be the grain... The medicated shampoo and frequent bathing is a great tip.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @philsergeant Thank you so much for your response! I have spent hours on this sight reading and will probably spent countless more I have learned so much! We are currently doing the seven day switch to Taste of the Wild Bison grain free and have ordered both the nuvet vitamins and grizzly salmon oil hopefully they will arrive both tomorrow. Poor Layla had a visit to the vet today and she has demodectic mange :-( she is still in high spirits and walked out with her head high prancing because she knows she's still beautiful!  

20151125_085736.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • She's just wanting snuggles right now..... it's been a stressful day! 
    20151125_085736-1.jpg
    2915 x 1618 - 2M
    The food and supplements that you have ordered will fix it, hopefully the vet didn't specify too many meds to help her along. You might try coconut oil (Extra Virgin, unrefined, white, hard) a heaped teaspoon mixed into her kibble once a day and go easy on the Salmon oil instead. You can also give her a good even rub down with the coconut oil, it will help from the outside too.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @philsergeant The vet gave her a low dose oral medicine. No dips or shampoos in case she has skin sensitivities (which I'm sure she does since I have been misled and going about her nutrition all wrong). I will give her a rub down tonight with the coconut oil! Thank you so much for that suggestion I bet she will love that! 

:)
    So will your hands! Let us know how it works out.... ( you know, when you love Bullies like a passion, somehow you feel for every other Bullie that has the luck to have the love of other humans, and are glad for it)
  • Layla's Nuvet came in today! She's feeling extra pampered today with a extra treat and a massage! Thank you so much for your advice !
    20160122_201944_LLS.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • :-j
    20160122_201944_LLS.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That NuVet is truly an awesome supplement. I've noticed it's popularity growing rapidly with other breeds as well but I hear about so many Bull Terrier owners using it with their Bullies.

This is what the bottle should look like:

NuVet_BT.jpg
    267 x 370 - 68K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC that's exactly what I got Layla.  I ordered it straight from Nuvet. She's been taking it only 3 days and already I can tell a difference in her!  She's such a happy puppy! 
    20160122_201944_LLS.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • :))
    20160122_201944_LLS.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20151224_142547-1.jpg
    1326 x 1146 - 894K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Great Photo! :-bd

Yes, that NuVet supplement is awesome.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    The TOTW should help a lot.... Not familiar with that one, try and get kibble without potato or sweet potato.