Skip to content

Leash?

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on trying to get my 12 week old mini to wear a leash?

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2016
    At 12 weeks she is going to grow out of everything fast, so I wouldn't invest much in it and preferably something soft. They also have those expandable chain choke collars that have the fabric intertwined that will give you room for growth... I'll try and find a photo.We use them n our pups.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    image.jpeg
    600 x 600 - 28K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    The best way to get a young puppy used to using a leash is by keeping it on him/her while indoors. Allow him to drag it around the house just so he's familiar with it. Yes, he or she will bite it and tug on it but in due time they get used to it being there. This will save you a lot of time in trying to train them solely during the occasions you take your Bullie outside for a walk. A lot of the training can be done right from the comfort of your living room.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Lots of young bullies hate being walked on a leash...I know mine did! She had more problems with wearing a collar than anything, so I got her a cheap adjustable harness that she could wear while she grew. She preferred that to collars and still doesn't wear collars unless we go on trips or out in public events. Try an easily adjustable harness with some good padding underneath the armpits. I would also suggest a fabric (like nylon or something) leash that is pretty thick, and then like Steve said just let your pup drag it around inside so they get used to it. Pretty soon it won't be a novelty anymore and the pup will grow out of it! Usually, anyway... :)
  • Swiss is the same way she dislikes collars big time. When I put one on it drives her nuts. All she does is try to get it off. She doesn't seem to mind a nice soft harness. 
  • edited January 2016
    I have worked on most of those daily issues - collar acceptance, nail clipping, accepting bathing and handling, ear cleaning, brushing teeth ... with positive reinforcement.
    This method really reveals its full potential when applied to repeating behaviors/ situations.
    I used clicker training, which is one way but not the only one available to use positive reinforcement. Many people think that it is only good to teach a dog some tricks. But it's actually much more powerful.

It takes time and of course with Djamila things took their time, too. Getting her used to collar or other things on her body was an easier one in our case. Getting her used to nail clipping on the other hand took us several months of continuous training. But today it is a piece of cake just as everything else we have been training, which is why I really love this approach.