Skip to content

AKC questions

Hello I am new to this group. A little background.... purchased a female mini bull terrier puppy. She is now 16 weeks. The whole purchasing process was a little shady, not very happy about that. But we love her and she is checking out healthy so far... keeping our fingers crossed. But I have a question about the registration papers. The breeder told me I could 1. take her as a "pet only," 2. apply for limited akc rights ( which is free) but lots of limitations, or 3. give the breeder$500 and she would get her registered with akc and mail me papers. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I am not going to breed or show her but I just wanted something that said she was akc. I have nothing. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Parents of Swiss

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    This a question that Steve will answer I am sure... He's the pro. I think fundamentally they are looking to charge you $500 more if you get breeding rights... But meanwhile, where are the precious Photos?? We don't charge fees here, but we do ask you to pay with photos!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    IMG_6323.jpg
    640 x 1136 - 373K
    edited December 2015
    Oh well... I'd pay $500 more just for the photos!!!! She is fantabulous,!! My boy Marco says, now that he knows she is from Florida.. ( can tell from the foliage alone ), if ever she's in need of a boyfriend she should just come on right over. Where did you import her from!.?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Philsergeant is still smearing mustard on these lil Bullies I see...

I can't blame him, Swiss is a beautiful girl!!!

When we purchased and picked up our pup Stoeger. We did so in person. Paid remaining balance after PayPal deposit, in cash. We received full AKC registration paperwork on the spot. We handled the registration from there after choosing his name.

From SwissMiss' original post in doesn't sound like she was opting for full reg but the convenience of having the paperwork handled??? 
  • Thx for the response. Thats how i thought it was going to be but wasnt. Do u think your akc processing fee was included in your price? $500 for akc paperwork seems a lot to me in addition to the $1600 i already paid for swiss. Just wondering if this is a scam. What do you think?
  • Btw Marco and Stoeger are beautiful. Are they minis or standards?
    They are both Monsters...I don't know how much Stoger weighs these days, but Marco is 75lbs... him and Issa are going on a diet and hoping we ever get a winter in FL.
  • Stoeger is a small lean monster as far as pet weight Bullies go. 52lbs 19" at shoulder.

Standard Bullie that is just a bit bigger than a Mini, ha!
    12112068_10207894657347224_2465041185056875145_n.jpg
    640 x 960 - 83K
    12400809_1105825856094511_1419106900386592339_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 124K
    Wow, he looks bigger than that in the other photo... I guess I need gauge his scale against Santa and not against Mrs Stoeger ( huh! I figured Santa was you)!
  • He is so handsome! Not sure how big Swiss will be as an adult. Breeder told me 33lbs.... A large mini. Not trusting anything she says at this point. She is 16lbs now and 16 weeks. I have plugged it into puppy weight calculator.... It says 26 lbs adult size.
  • His Sweater makes him look fat ;)

SwissMiss, we paid $1500 for our pup with full AKC.

I don't believe we had any additional fees from there even handling the rest of the registration ourselves.

What kennel did your pup come from?

I'm staying tuned for Steve's reply, I'm sure he can shed more light as he has reg'd more dogs than any in this convo.
    But she looks in fabulous condition, that's for sure, I wouldn't worry about her weight for now, as long as she is eating heartily and you get her on good food and supplements... At 16 weeks you can never tell how they'll end up... Her papers will clarify whether she is mini or standard.. Minis cost quite a chunk more.
  • I can't make any intelligent comments on the paper-work but I can say your puppy is adorable!
  • Breeder was Adorable Bulldogs......"somewhere" in south florida. Never saw the Kennel. All arranged online.

• Thankyou for all the sweet comments about my baby girl.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @swissmiss - I'm just now seeing this post.

There's absolutely no reason why the breeder wouldn't provide you with at least Limited AKC papers if they registered the litter. Limited Registration will only prevent you from showing and registering a litter of puppies produced by the dog. No other limitations are involved with puppies provided with Limited AKC Registration. Full Registrations often are accompanied with co-ownership and a written contract with regulations set forth by the breeder. Full Registration often will cost a fee based on the fact you have right to breed the puppy in the future with a bloodline they produced. It's kind of like a royalty fee for producing future puppies based on their efforts and reputation they earned. In many cases this may be worth while if the pedigree and bloodlines of the puppy you are purchasing is truly reputable. In your case Adorable Bulldogs has no reputation within the Bull Terrier community so the fee of $500 extra would have to be a decision you make in regard to it's worth for carrying their bloodline.
    In truth, if you purchased a puppy for $1600 and did not receive AKC Registration papers (Limited or not) than you got ripped off. For that price you should have received AKC Registration papers, written health guarantee, documented heath tests, vaccinations, microchip, and AKC puppy package. Again, there's absolutely no reason why the breeder would not provide you with AKC Limited Registration papers unless they didn't actually have the litter registered. Sounds very fishy to me.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thankyou for the info. She did offer me limited but the way it was described to me by her seemed odd. Basically All of what you said about limited but also that I would have to get permission to even move out of state and that if I broke any of the rules she could come take her away. So that scared me about limited rights. Not that I at gonna break any rules but I didnt want that fear of her being taken from me at their discretion. So I opted to just take her as a pet. She told me I had one year to decide if I wanted full rights. The whole situation was and is fishy. But we love her so much and she was a great addition to our family. Next time though I will be more selective about who I buy a puppy from. Thankyou again for the info.
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Man! That bed is HUGE! you better get a couple more Bullies (if you can find any more as beautiful as Swiss)
  • In true Bullie fashion... it looks like she had no problem finding the most comfortable part of the bed!

She's tucked right in there!!!
  • I guess the bed was too big for her. She fixed the problem. Swiss put her small bed in the big bed.....all by herself. She is so smart.image
    IMG_6432.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M