Skip to content

Thinking of adopting a deaf rescue bully

Hi there! So I am brand new to this forum, and found you guys during my research. So the humane society in my area just picked up a bull terrier (In a target parking lot of all places) and I went to visit today and am just in love. He is about 8 months old, and a special needs guy because he is totally deaf. They said he has some issues with other dogs and occasionally with people, but it's because he is very mouthy and since he can't hear he doesn't understand when other dogs say stop of you tell him no. They said it doesn't seem like aggression, just very rough play. When he started to get mouthy with me when I was playing I just pushed him off, and stopped playing and he seemed to get it. He was super affectionate and didn't seem phased by me pulling on his tail or ears or touching him from behind when he couldn't see me. They "cat tested" him while I was there (because I do have a cat) and he was a bit nervous with the bolder cats, but then went into that puppy stance with his butt up and seemed to want to play. This seems like a good sign that he can be socialized to see cat as friends and not food.

I've had dogs before (all dobermans), and I have done research and I know these dogs are very high energy and can be destructive if not given enough exercise and attention. I also know they can be stubborn and need good training and direction. I know deafness is a worry with bullies, especially the white ones. I was hoping some people here had experience with deaf bully training and living with them in general and could give me some tips and what to expect. I've been doing research on how to train deaf dogs, and have found go info on hand signals and vibration collars, but any resources y'all really stand by would be greatly appreciated. 

I included some pictures of him, one from the adoption website and one I took. He's such a cutie.
chaos.jpg
336 x 252 - 35K
chaos2.jpg
1334 x 750 - 123K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Well absolutely Welcome!! What a Christmas gift he would be. Lucky you found him so young!!!! Pretty amazing that his ears are up because deaf Bullies typically let theirs hang (not catching sound).... He really is a beauty!  I cannot imagine the moron who left him at Target (maybe for the Target Dog connection) he probably shops at Walmart (kidding, I shop there myself occasionally, but you know what I mean).
    I have no first hand experience of Deaf Bullies myself but there are many success stories, even on this site.... I know there was a guy in Holland who had great success with sign language... even mine respond to sign language... Raising my hand to my shoulder means "Sit, if you want a treat", and believe me, they do.  Do a search for "deaf" in the search field above your name and hit "GO", I'll look around too.  You're gonna love him!!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Here's the Dutch guy's most recent post, but there are lots more:
    http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/2289/it-s-been-a-while/p1
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • We've used hand signs at the same time we've used verbal commands. We do this mostly for the times we are at the dog park and our dog is way too far to hear us over all of the other noise. They get the hand signs.  Often, I just use the hand signals.

Other than that, the experiences of the man that posted here in the past that Phil has kindly linked, I have zero experience or advice. They are smart dogs, and ours seem to get both hand and/or voice commands.

This is an absolutely adorable BT.  Unless you can 100 percent guarantee that he will never escape your home or be off leash, you should not consider adopting him.  He will need to be kept safe and not allowed to get into harms way, like oncoming traffic where he will not hear car horns.

It's not just a lot to consider about a deaf BT, it's also a lot to consider about your home situation and commitment. Best of luck in reaching the right decision. This is a great place to come. Lots of people here know so much more than me and we all love our babies.
  • From what I've read with proper training, and help of a vibration collar deaf dogs can be off leash. Though I wouldn't be trying that for quite awhile until I was sure he would check in with me often and come when I ask. I also wouldn't let him off leash near roads where he could get hit; though I wouldn't do that with any dog. At this point he'd be on a leash whenever he went outside with me, even if it was just to the car. I'm in an apartment currently, so yard safety isn't a concern right now. Though when that comes up I figure this will be a great place to get advice on making sure my space is bully escape proof :)

I got to go spend 2 hours with him today at the shelter and it was great. I took him on a walk, and the only thing he did was sometimes just stand and stare rather than walk. I was so impressed that he didn't pull forward, or try and bite the leash. He is super chill. I did get to see what they meant about him being mouthy. He was getting riled when we were playing and was putting his teeth on my arms, legs, hair, and hands. It was pretty easy to redirect him to his rope toy, though he would definitely throw a bit of a fit and bark at me if I got up and ignored him (when he wouldn't stop trying to use me as a toy). He is the floppiest dog I have ever met. He would crawl into my lap, stop halfway with his head and legs hanging off the bench and just let me pet him. I am in love with him, such a sweetheart.

The shelter did say they wanted to wait for awhile to get more applications in because they want him to have the best home possible (I think they are hoping someone with deaf dog experience will want to adopt him). So it's not a sure thing that I will get him but I am really crossing my fingers. 
  • Every time I pulled the camera out he would decide he didn't want to snuggle or be still, but I managed to get a picture.
    Snapchat-4021227412754615070-1.jpg
    1440 x 1526 - 663K
  • Also I was wondering if he might be a miniature bull terrier, he is 8 months old and only about 30 lbs. He only comes up to a little above my knees.
    I am sure they are guessing at the 8 months... Looks more like 6 months to me.... 30lbs is not too bad, changing to a good diet will flesh him out in no time (GF).... but he doesn't look like a mini to me, his legs are too long... We are crossing our toes too// He needs a good home with tons of love and understanding (properties that he will repay 10 times whatever you can deliver)... Let us know, Santa is good! If he is your first Bullie you are in for a life changing/ experience enhancing journey... They are THE best dogs ever.
  • Best of luck! I'm pulling for you getting him. 
  • I got him! I had to deal with a snotty kennel staff member (She said she had seen me the other day and they don't let people just come hang out with the dogs, you put in an application and don't come back until you are picking up the dog to take home so I needed to leave and just wait), but everyone else was super excited to see me back again. One of the staff members who has a bully herself said she was going to text the vice president (like I said they were really concerned about who was adopting him) that I should get him. Twenty minutes later I had one of the front desk people come by to finalize the paperwork with me. I'll be getting him next Sunday :). The vet that works there also has a bull terrier so they said I could call them anytime and hope we can all get together for socializing.

I apologize now for that fact that I'm going to be harassing you guys a ton.
    We are so happy for you!!! Merry Christmas! What a gift! We LOVE being "harassed a ton" by anyone that puts a Bullie ahead of themselves and understands the need to do that in life. You are going to be so Blessed. Pity you are getting him after Christmas (not that I understand the shelter's mentality there?), but it gives you two things... Your last peaceful Christmas, and a few extra days to prepare for your invasion, get all the right foods together etc. One of the big things, in my opinion, will be finding some doggy pals he can hang out with and socialize frequently, go walkies with etc. Nice gentle friendly pals... to make sure his insecurity finds no need to manifest itself in protectivism... This is the case with all bullies, but particularly a deaf one.  We can't wait for the photos and stories.
  • Congrats, you're going to have your hands full at first but long term the rewards will be "fantastic".  Sounds like the shelter picked the best candidate after all.  

We'll all be routing for you and eagerly awaiting your updates, harass away !
  • this is an early Christmas present to hear that you are getting him! yay!  i'll be back on here more soon. had surgery yesterday and feeling very bad right now.  This news has cheered me up, though.  congratulations! what a wonderful decision they made!
    @Exiled,.. Sorry to hear of your Christmas (surgery) Present... timing sucks.... Hope you forget it all soon and remember it all naught in 2016!
  • What a gorgeous Christmas gift! He looks a lot like my Bianca spotty ears and all :) and he does look about the same age as her too, she just turned 6 months on the 16th and weighs 36lbs. Welcome to the bully club :D
    edited December 2015
    @fixyfantastic... So, now you have your Christmas gift you leave us all hanging huh! Where are the photos , all the stories and questions...??? We're waiting for all the goodies like kids under the tree :-& :ar!
  • What a great beginning to a Bullie story.

Our pup was quite mouthy when he was younger. It's easier to get a handle on it early rather than later.

A customer of mine has a deaf Boxer. He has taught her hand signals. She is dog aggressive and he has her leashed at all times when outdoors. When he doesn't have her attention he stomps the floor or ground and she makes eye contact.

Bullies with good hearing are stubborn and try not to listen. I don't think you will be far behind with one that is deaf.

I can hardly wait for an update!!!
  • I promise there will pictures and questions very soon! There was pretty bad storm in my part of Texas and it's a three hour drive back from my parent's home to where I live. So I'll be getting him tomorrow!! Didn't think driving through pouring rain in the middle of nowhere was a smart plan.

It's all good though, I'm using my extra time here to re-read When Pigs Fly. You should see all the notes I have been taking from that book, Clicker Training for Obedience, and on food stuff. I have been going a little crazy buying toys and various things for him. I even ordered him a custom collar, and a nice little leash that says "I am Deaf" so hopefully people will get the hint.
    @Fixyfantastic.... Yeah, terrible news on those storms.. hard to comprehend what those folks are going through.  Good idea to delay your pick up until he can experience a happy transition. As long as he is somewhere safe at least he can't hear all of the commotion.  We are waiting with you.
  • edited December 2015
    Well he's finally home! I've decided to name him Icarus, though I'm not sure he'll ever actually know that's his name. I was pretty impressed earlier since he still had some staples in from when he was fixed and he just laid there for 10 minutes in the entrance at the shelter as the techs tried to get them out (they even had to leave one in because they were yanking and twisting it but it still wouldn't come out). I'm going to be bringing him to the shelter's vet tomorrow to get the last one out. We need to work on some car manners for sure. The entire time he was trying to get into my lap, and may have kicked the car into neutral a few times.

He has been a maniac for the past 4 hours. I live in a pretty small apartment, but he has been running full speed from one wall to the next, very often slipping (since it's tile) and skidding into the wall, only to leap back up and continue sprinting around. It's hysterical. He has been freaking out over his toys, throwing them around and chasing them as fast as he can. I got him a Nylabone antler thing and that seems to be his favorite, though it might be tied with the tennis ball. He really is like a little wrecking ball barreling through the house. I really wish I had a yard to let him just run as fast as he'd like to get his shelter exorcism in. Though I'm making him run with me on his walks after he pees so hopefully that'll help. We're about 1/2 and 1/2 for going to the bathroom in the proper place. He will just stop suddenly mid play and start peeing, so I am just going out every 15 minutes. I think I am going to take his water up about an hour before I decide it's time for bed.

He has also decided to let me know that he does in fact bark, and quite frequently. He can't seem to contain himself with the cat, he just has to bark and bark excitedly at her. He's keeping a healthy distance since the few times he has gotten close she has slapped at him. She seems irritated, but not afraid of him so I think once he can calm down around her they will be fine.

He constantly follows me around the house, and will drop any toy he has if I start moving. I've had cats only for the last few years so it's almost strange to have something so interested in what I am doing. He has finally calmed down and is sleeping on my foot as I type this. He also seems to be happy with his crate. He will go in there in his sprinting laps around the house (slamming it into the wall of course :) ) and I have been able to put him in there a few times and have him lay down and actually relax. I think it's actually easier for him to relax when I have him closed in there, because even when he with me on the couch he can only lay down for about 15 seconds before he gets nippy and then starts racing around again.

Overall I am charmed. He is a sweet little thing, though I think I have my work cut out for me to get him to a proper house companion from the little hellion he is right now. I also included some pictures (please excuse the quality, I was using the front camera and he kept trying to eat it if I wasn't quick enough)

• Woops, can't do that on this forum :)

• I'll take more pictures when he decides he can be still
  • He's such a handsome boy! Glad he's finally home with you =D>
  • So sweet. I cannot wait to hear about his progress. You are a terrific person!
    edited December 2015
    Well it's great that he is home, and I'm pretty pleased that he appears so calm... I expected him to be cowering somewhere, especially after the trip. He obviously has great character.          I am sure he was overwhelmed with the new surroundings, new gifts and toys... now it's time to settle down for a few days and you have a long weekend to aid in that.  Remember there is no better elixir for EBT's than love and calmness. Seems he loves his crate already, You may need to get a small one for the car, it's hard to get Bullies to stay put in the car, unless you have a rear (hatchback) compartment or can divide the front from rear seats.  Front seat is out of the question until they are 2 or 3 and then sometimes not all of them.... During a drive I am sure his deafness will cause him some discomfort.  We are really proud of you and I am sure Icarus will do you proud! Great job!!!!!

(At least Icarus, without his wings, has fallen into your loving arms instead of into the Icarian Sea)

• I think the long day finally got to him. He passed out in my lap for about 1/2 an hour, and only woke up when the cat got on the couch to sniff him. He seems more relaxed. I don't have work or school until January 20th so I have lots of time to get him adjusted thankfully. I am so glad I have a place to gush about him and post pictures where people won't get sick of it :P. I think my friends are already over me sending pictures. Thanks everyone for your support. I am already smitten with the little monster.

I have a Kia Soul so there is a little back area he could stay in, I just wasn't confident he wouldn't try and crawl over the back into the back seats, or chew off my head-rests. I'm going to work out a better system for car time.

• Hi Fixy,

Great to see him home with you at last and I think you compliment each other very well, meaning you are going to be an excellent EBT owner and he's going to reward you for being up to the challenge. 

By the way, he's beautiful, has the same snout as our last bully. Really looking forward to your experiences with this special guy.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Great photos!  He looks so happy and content. He's going to make a great companion and best friend!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He seems to be settling in. The cat is actually trying to be friends with him, she's been getting on the couch with him and rubbing on him, though when he gets to be too much she slaps him. It's a work in progress. He's doing great with the crate, sleeps through the night just fine and goes in without a fuss.

This was last night after he had fallen asleep. He seems to be a pretty heavy sleeper :p
    Great photo, Yes, they are heavy sleepers.. demonstrating that he has truly settled into your love... great to see the cat snuggling up...I am sure you are already starting to feel the love radiating back from him.... Welcome to the world of enlightened people.. the other ignoramuses don't begin to understand what they are missing....
  • So great to see him settling in so well! Amazing how well your cat is taking to him. You all seem very well adjusted you made a great decision with that handsome fella i can tell you're already madly in love
    :x
  • Icarus looks like he has pretty much made himself at home, awesome to see!

Too funny about him knocking the car into neutral, Stoeger has done the same more times than we care to remember.

We have found it helpful to use a collar or harness and a leash with a carabiner on the handle end.

The carabiner is great for clipping our Bullie to any available anchor, especially in a vehicle. It works perfectly in our open top Jeep Wrangler!

We have a few different length leashes and find it easy to limited his range in the four different vehicles we own.
    10422438_825399680803798_7466856929018034921_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 70K
    10171289_865337840143315_7225378339925863127_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 80K
    936699_859021644108268_1301165315679339717_n.jpg
    718 x 960 - 70K
    11350636_1004108396266258_1030626455395820550_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 62K
  • That first picture looks exactly like what Icarus likes to do in the car. He is happiest in my lap. I know he desperately wants to hang out the window, but I do not trust him not to leap from the car. I'm currently looking into a divider for the back of the car, but they are all so expensive and he wouldn't be able to have his head out the window. I am thinking of flipping 1/2 the seats down and I can try attaching him to one of the spots on the seat. Though I think I am going to wait for friends to come off of vacation so I can do some test runs of this and not be the one driving if he decided to freak out about being attached to something. Thanks for the tip!
  • I also forgot to mention when I took him the vet she said she was thinking he was at least 9 months to a year old (he has all his adult teeth in). She kept telling me how insane the breed was, and how he was going to have so many problems and I should be ready. I think it's because she went to vet school with my dad that she thought she could say those things, didn't make it any less irritating though X(
  • Hmm I'm no expert but he certainly doesn't look 9 months to a year to me. He looks about the same age as Bianca and she is barely 6 1/2 months weighing 37lbs. She's got all of her adult teeth in as well. Yes there can be potential health problems but what breed comes with no health concerns? Just like humans every dog is different. Insane? Insanely lovely and adorable! I don't mean to sound rude but i would find another vet. It's one thing to discuss current and potential issues but from what you say it sounds like she was being downright mean and picking on them! Clearly she hasn't owned or had much experience with them. Our vet and staff goes bananas when we bring Bianca in she gets smothered with love and attention!
  • He's under 30 lbs so it would make more sense that he is younger than everyone seems to think. Ive actually been surprised by how many people have had something to say about "how terrible" this breed is. I've been told he'll destroy my house, and he'll be aggressive. I've been to plenty of dog shows and seen some insane BCs who just can't calm down and snappy little dogs who are nasty so it confuses me that people have such strong opinions about these guys.

edited January 2016
    I just love it when these dog experts tell you "how insane and impossible Bullies are etc. etc." It just shortens the amount of time you have to take to find out that they are actually morons down to a few seconds.
    Good to see photos of Stoeger again... he is such a rock star!!!   (Did I miss the part about you guys getting a new puppy, or am I just mis-reading?)
  • No new pup Phil, I just have a habit of still calling 2.5y/o Stoeger "pup".

Stoeger a rockstar? Yeah, I'd say that is fitting, haha!
    12347642_1095101320500298_2630091854626870955_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 82K
  • That picture is wonderful!

Things have been going well with Icarus. He seems to get sit, and I just called a trainer in the area and she was super excited to be working with a deaf dog and we'll probably be starting with her in February. He loves other dogs, and it super submissive with everyone (which is a relief) A friend of mine has a very well mannered pitbull that he got to meet this past week and they are in love. He will play for hours until he can barely move and she isn't phased at all, he has actually not managed to wear her out yet. When we go visit Sweetpea he generally has to be put in her crate to take a nap  at some point because he has no off switch. He has gotten to meet a few other dogs, and seems to be doing very well with them. He is still having accidents when we go to friend's places, but when he is at home he has finally decided that he will go sit by the door and stare at me when he wants to go out. So overall everything is going well. I've found that if I take him to have dog-friend time for at least an hour he is much calmer at home, and can even resist trying to play with the cat. My friends have given him the nickname "Dickerus" when he is being a menace, which is kind of perfect. Things have gotten a little complicated because I am in a boot for 6 weeks. I fractured my ankle a few days ago playing with him on the stairs (I know I'm super clever). It's a lot more work to go get him when he's being bad not that I have to hobble over.

He's not allowed in my bed, but he crawled in while I was staying at a friend's and I couldn't resist cuddling

This is his favorite place to lay when we go visit one of my friend's

And this is Sweetpea, she's his favorite friend
    I'm so glad you two have started off your love affair so famously! I think we all agree it is better to be totally in love with those that we are hitched to.... And being hitched to a Bullie is a life-long experience... Please stay in touch and posting photos every step of the way along the journey!
  • I was thinking today about the panic I was feeling before I got Icarus and how I was worried he'd ruin my life, and how this morning I was holding him like a baby and telling him he was an angel child :)). He has been wonderful, everyone who meets him loves him. He has no qualms about getting into other people's laps and falling asleep; this is really nice because I get so many offers for dog babysitting. :p

We just started a puppy class (which I am disappointed in, but that's a different story).They have someone who trained a deaf dog, and a lot of the club members do things like agility and obedience so I'm hopeful they'll give me some tips. I'd love to eventually be able to doo obedience (I'll be already prepared for Utility since I can only use hand signs now anyways :) ) We worked on down today, and we're making progress! It has been tough to get him to understand I want him laying on the floor. So much luring and shoving. I can say I am so impressed with his focus (on food at least), I have never met a dog so food driven. Today the cat was laying behind him chewing on his tail, and then in front of him trying to get the treat from me and he never broke focus.He just kept trying to figure out what to do to get the treat. He is very, very, very, very into treats (which is nice for me)

It's actually been a rough couple of days for me. The other night a drunk driver smashed into my father's veterinary clinic destroying almost everything inside. He actually killed one of the kittens in the front (who was supposed to go to a new home that next day) and the other one has a broken back and they aren't sure how well she will recover. The driver ran from the scene, and the police didn't seem to think they'd be able to do much on the criminal end. Here's the link if you're curious about what it looks like when an SUV takes on a building

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2016/01/18/driver-crashes-through-veterinary-hospital-takes-off/78973962/
    Fixy... I am replying before I check your link.... ( I'll check it after) because it will probably get me so pissed off I could maime or kill..... But, I am so glad you have the Bullie bug.... Bullie appreciation is a disease, or rather an addiction, to which we need to be brave to admit. They capture your life, and, in so many dimensions, make it whole.... Sooooooo glad you are enjoying him!!?
    edited January 2016
    I have now checked the link.... Believe me, your father is a lot calmer than I would be, I'd be spitting blood and hoping the cops find the dickhead before I do....I hope his insurance steps up fairly.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'd be furious! Sorry to hear about what happened to your fathers clinic.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com