Skip to content

Best Harness

When Bianca was much smaller (she's growing soooo fast!) we had a little cheap soft harness for her that was super easy to get on and off and very comfy for her. She pulls so we don't feel comfortable getting her something that is going to possibly hurt her neck. Most of the harnesses i've seen have buckles near the armpit which we're trying to avoid for her comfort level. She's done very well with the one she has had but unfortunately she's outgrown the sizes they sell. Does anybody use a harness they recommend that is comfortable for their bully?

Comments

• Tried just about everything, and this one from 2 Hounds Design has been the winner.  We stopped looking after getting this.  I'm sure others have had excellent success with others, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0NR9B4/ref=s9_hps_bw_g199_i5
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for the suggestions guys! I'll be doing a bit more research and let you know what we have chosen and give an update on how it holds up.
  • In the discussion, Steve just mentioned, I recommended the Dean & Tyler harness, we use.
    This one also comes with the clasp close to the armpit. I really don't see, why so many manufacturers do it that way. Also on this harness the clasp seems kind of flimsy - but so far it holds up.

However, hers is a good fit and she does not wear the harness all the time. So, luckily the clasp is no problem. But I am not sure, if under these circumstances I would still recommend this otherwise really great harness to another owner with a dog wearing it all the time.

Just to let you know.
  • We actually just ordered the DT harness, your pictures of Djamila are so cute of her in hers! :) I did see that the buckle is close to the armpit, as pretty much every other one i've looked at is. I really wish they would make them at the middle of the belly instead. I just hate the idea of it being uncomfortable for our little princess. I'm sure I am more bothered by it then she is, she just cares about what's good around to sniff! Thank you for your input, I'll keep you posted on how she does with it. Should be here next week.
  • I've found that for dogs in general, and EBTs being an even better example, that harnesses can be a slippery slope. If they walk really well on the leash, they can be great, but the pulling power in our pups comes from their chest and shoulders. So wearing the harness actually makes it much easier and more comfortable to pull. Thats why sled dogs wear them. The harnesses with the leash in the front can help with this since if they pull, it redirects the direction they are walking. But I've found that they can start to pull backwards trying to get out of it. Philsergeant mentioned in the other thread combining the use with the pinch lead, which can really help with heavily distracted dogs. Something that can just be used as a backup, just in case. The rottweiler that I take care of does well on a leash, so I don't mind the harness. But because his owner bred him for protection (Shes a bit paranoid), it something he doesn't trust comes into his field of view, he can really give me a good pull and drag until I really get my footing. To the point that I'd be afraid that if he or another dog as strong as him, such as a big EBT, could easily do some shoulder damage or rip the leash right from your hand. And I accredit this to the harness. Not to say that they dont have their place. Especially on a calm dog.

I hope my suggestion didn't come off as elitist or confrontational, as it was not my intention. And I may well move to using a harness one day myself if the need arises.
  • edited October 2015
    @erikashea
    Did you order funny badges, too? :)
    Also did you order it with the additional chest support? That's something I completely forgot, sorry. The chest support provides for an even better fit, that's my feeling, and makes it less likely for the dog to slip out of the harness.

Also like I already said, you will possibly find the clasp a little odd. It feels like it could open, but it should not, if you close it good!
    I think it was Philsergeant, who mentioned that he has experienced the clasp actually opening while the dog was wearing a DT harness. But as I recall that was a different Dean & Tyler harness, not the one we own.

@Wrightkylej
    My solution to control a constantly pulling dog would probably not be to just put a harness on him. I'd probably start off with training on leash.
    But there are harnesses that make it hard for a dog to slip out of them. It depends on the construction.
    And another huge factor is the correct sizing and fit.
    I do our leash training with Djamila alternating with harness and on leash in order to get her to walk in an orderly fashion no matter what she is wearing. I look at it the same way you do: For a calm dog it's a great item.
    However, a good harness should also provide enough control at any time even when the dog goes bananas, because after all they're dogs, and we never know which situations we will encounter.
  • @Djammy
    I agree with everything you've said. If I had the option to use something other than a harness on some dogs, it would be great. Unfortunately, some people are very insistent on them. Usually because they are afraid of their dog choking. But instead of training it to walk better they let it pull or put a harness on it which causes it to pull harder. Because I hope that Freyja will enjoy pulling weight/sleds for exercise, I haven't put a harness on her. So she knows that the harness means pull and the leash means walk calmly. But you're right, a bird or a rabbit can be cause for concern. Especially in a dog with such strong prey drive like an EBT, and even more in a puppy with impulse control.

I think harnesses are great, as long as you're aware of the habits that they can sometimes build. But in your example of needing control....I'm so glad the rottweiler has a harness when he goes into "attack mode". Which I wish he was never trained to do. I can't believe its even encouraged in a setting that isn't for a highly trained service dog with an "off switch"
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2015
    Perhaps I'm a bit slow, but I always thought that the point of using a harness was in fact to make it easier on the dog ('s neck) and tougher on the human. As @Wrightkylej says, that's why they are used on sledge dogs.  I also found the DT's good and strong, but the clasp the weak spot.. They easily broke out.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited October 2015
    @Philsergeant
    A little unsure, if you’re just joking around a little … can't see the smile of your face :) ...
    "tougher on the human" means the harness is meant to engage the dog pulling?
    @Djammy ... Not sure if you're joking.... Did you mean "encourage" the dog pulling ? :-)
    No, in my mind, the reason for the harness is to take it easier on the dog's neck.... If he has his "whole body" to pull with, instead of just some part that hurts (read: injures) him, he is obviously going to pull harder if that's his tendency... But at the same time it gives you more "area" to control him and, if you are strong, you can restrict the movement and thus, hopefully discourage him from pulling (I was going to say "completely") but only somewhat.  To me, the nature of a Bullie is that if something motivates them enough, you have squat chance of telling them "No". I can hold both my dogs back simultaneously if they see a deer or rabbit, but, I've told my wife, if she has one of them, and a rabbit shows up, let the lead go rather than have her shoulder pulled out of it's socket (if it's safe to do so).
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited October 2015
    @Philsergeant
    Now that you mention your precautions with your wife, I am bursting with laughter, because that reminds me. A year ago I did not find it that funny yet. Today luckily I CAN laugh about it.
    In a very unfortunate chain of causation involving a guest inexperienced with Bull Terriers and a slow reaction of mine some time ago Djamila actually caused me to perform a 360 on the street while chasing after a ball.
    Did not even know that I am capable of doing that.

My shoulder hurt for months. So, I can tell you your advice is more than reasonable!

As for the harness. We do not only use a harness, but also collar, as well as short and long leashes depending on the situation. There are so many different reasons for using a harness.

I think especially with harnesses there’s a difference between recreational use” (I don’t know a better expression) and use for work or sports.

On a sled or in weight pulling, of course the harness is meant for the dog to lean in and pull, and collars are contraindicated for obvious reasons.
    But even a dog that is doing weight pulling exercises should be trained to know the difference between the sports activity and a regular walking situation and should not be pulling all the time. I'm talking about the IDEAL situation here, not necessarily every owner's reality. :):))

I just have that mental image of a “bodybuilding” dog dragging his owner for a walk in my head. :):):)

Dogs can learn not to pull and they can even learn only to do it in certain situations when pulling is ok and even desired, while in other situations walking slowly is in order. It’s a matter of training.

When it comes to walking my pet at home, a harness sure is easier on the dog's neck, absolutely, especially when she gets excited. And there are several other possible reasons that could be prompting me to decide for a harness, e.g. a collar is rubbing off fur on the neck or causing allergies or other troubles.
    Also a harness can give the dog a different range of motion - if leash is attached at the top, not front - on a long leash.
    Many harnesses have a grip, which I find VERY handy, if the dog needs to be held closely for control - with or even without pulling.
    My list of advantages goes on without the dog dragging like crazy being first reason for using a harness.

For longer walks on a retractable leash, we always use Djamila’s harness. And you're right because that absolutely takes the stress off her neck a collar otherwise would produce. With the retractable leash there inevitably is a little tension on the leash all the time. But that does not mean when I switch her to the short leash on her harness, that I tolerate her constantly dragging me after her.

Djamila is one of those dogs, who will start pulling like crazy once a certain threshold of excitement and distraction gets crossed. I think many EBT owners know that “phenomenon”. These dogs are just so full of excitement and joy. Right now we are training with a Martingale collar in more distractive areas with the goal of having her walk calmly on a short leash in general, even with a lot of distractions around and eventually doing the same wearing a harness WITHOUT dragging. All of that even though we allow her to drag on the retractable leash in order to make use of the range the leash allows.
  • I hadn't even thought of it possibly 'encouraging' her to pull. We originally had her on a retractable leash but have moved to a short leash so she is learning to walk with us not walk us! We also just got her a new bungee leash as well so I think that might help too. We shall see!! The harness we got has the handle on the back for control if you need. She is growing by the minute and has the muscle and strength to prove it! To each their own but as of right now we prefer the harness. May switch to the collar when she is a bit bigger. Thank you for your input :)
  • Just wanted to give an update after receiving both the DT harness and the bungee leash...she wasn't too sure about the harness at first as it is a lot more bulky then her previous one, she was kind of walking like a penguin at first haha! However, she got used to it rather quickly and is now walking great. I could be wrong but I feel like this along with the shorter bungee leash has really improved walking. She walks next to us a lot more then before. Don't get me wrong she will still insist on sitting when she decides that we all 'need a break' (just her being stubborn!) and pull a bit when she gets on a good sniff trail but for the most part I feel like she's doing much better with this combo. We did not order the chest support but will definitely order. We also haven't had any issues with the clasp, ours does have a little bit of a click noise, not as loud as other clasps but it is nice to hear. I will post pics of her in her new 'outfit' as soon as she will sit still long enough for her weekly photo shoot! Here is a link to the bungee leash if anyone is interested in trying one out.
    http://www.bungeepupee.com

I'm not great with computers so I don't know how to make it the click and go thingy for the website but there it is anyhow. We bought the braided twisty looking one and it seems pretty sturdy so far. gives her a nice tug back when she starts to pull without us having to do the pull back.
  • Oooo it did the click and go for the website! Clever me! B-)
  • Happy to hear that you are confident with the harness so far.
    I will be looking forward to an update on both, leash and harness, once you've had them in use for a few weeks. Funny idea, those leashes. Never heard of them before.
  • I will definitely update in a couple weeks, going to the dog park today if the weather holds up so will try to get some photos/video. The leash is super cool, like i said seems pretty sturdy so far so hoping it holds up.makes walking really nice because she can feel the pull back of it.
  • edited November 2015
    Have no idea how this compares to other harnesses but I'm very pleased with it and it addresses possible "armpit rubbing".

It's a Gentle Leader product, high quality, user friendly and at a similar price to other entry level harnesses. We use it for Frankies kick ball sessions coupled with a 26ft flexi leader to minimize neck stress.

The leash ring is around the upper chest/lower neck area with the collar working like a training collar. At first I was concerned with the stomach area being stressed/pulled but that was not the case.

For regular walks we have the the standard head harness (Gentle Leader) gives us total control with minimal effort. Frankie losses her mind whenever she sees a squirrel, to the point of chocking herself out on a chain training collar making the head collar heaven sent. 
    SDC12404.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 502K
    SDC12403.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 485K
  • edited November 2015
    Looking good! I first thought it's a weight pulling harness, because the construction looks similar. One thing seems for sure: It's probably hard to slip out of that harness backwards.

I have just ordered another Dean & Tyler nylon harness, because I need to keep Djamila on a long training leash for play and training in our yard.
    It was hard to figure out the correct sizing. I am really curios now, if it fits. This happens to be a "no-pull" harness as well (front hook present), but I am not sure, if I will use that for walking. We'll see.
    Will let you guys know, how it works.

• Hope you have better luck using your harness for walks than we did, Frankie can't slip out of it pulling backwards but she can accomplish a much more successful "mule" as I like to call it. It was great at first then she discovered putting on the brakes, now the harness is for kick ball time only.
  • edited November 2015
    @Marx
    Currently I only walk her over longer distances for leash training, which always takes some efforts to get her away from the house. Walking in our calm area is boring for her. For potty we slip on short leash and collar and go into the yard or just right over to the other side of the street. That's it.

This summer was just too hot here in Florida for doing a lot more than exercising in the pool together. And frankly somehow it still is.

Once we take her with us in the car to the beach or the doggie store or wherever, it's a different story - collar or harness, she will have a party and go forward. I guess the walking thing is just something a lot of them really have in common.
  • I'm familiar with the hot hazy humid days of Florida, on the plus side it must  slow even an EBT down a bit.

Our last EBT was quite the long distance walker, at first I was surprised and concerned when Frankie wasn't into it but after reading up on our forum at least I know it's more or less normal.

I don't humour  Frankie when she starts resisting the longer walks and she's realized resistance is futile, lol.
  • Question about Frankie's new harness - the leash hooks on the front right? Near the chest? Do you use one of those leashes that has clips on both ends so you're sort of holding a loop instead of just a line? I just wonder how the belly strap helps with training/pull prevention/etc or if it doesn't at all.

I've got two harnesses for Quinn, one for casual walks and one for public outings...the personal one clips on her back and she can yank me about anywhere if she wanted to. 8-X  The public harness clips on the front, much more effective against pulling, but it does rub her chest red sometimes. I've yet to find a replacement I think both she and I would like. So just curious!
  • Yes it clips on the front near the chest, the collar piece can tighten or loosen and I do not use this harness for walks, just kick ball time. The harness is used in conjunction with a 21" (box store) rubber bungee followed by a 26' flexi leader.

The belly strap works the same as the chest strap I imagine, just eliminates the rubbing in the arm pit concern. I used the harness once for a walk, it worked very well controlling Frankie easily until she figured out it gives her more stopping power (pulling backwards)

For walks I use a head harness which gives excellent control by being clipped under the jaw and a 6' leash with two loops, one at the bottom and one at the top. The bottom loop acts like a short traffic leash and works well. 
    SDC12411.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 487K
    SDC12410.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 488K
    SDC12409.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 489K
  • edited November 2015
    @Quinnofhearts
    I have just ordered another Dean & Tyler harness - the No-Pull with a front hook - and just wanted to let you know that I cannot recommend it so far! Just in case you are considering it. It's an overall really great harness, but the clasp opens randomly. Dangerous!
    I've already contacted Dean & Tyler. Waiting for an answer.

This is the one:
    http://www.dtdogcollars.com/product-p/dthunv.htm
    Isn't that the one that Anthony Hopkins wore in that movie?  you know, about Lambs???
  • edited November 2015
    Now that you are mentioning it, philsergeant .... :))

imageimage 
    But it looks good on Djamila. :)

Here's a little more info, just in case anyone is considering this product:

I have attached a second clasp for security, because I want to keep the harness. As we already own another DT harness with that curios clasp that does not make any noises when closing and I've heard of stories about opening clasps on DT harnesses before - I think one of them actually from you, Phil - I did not even start bothering with testing and exchanging this one hoping to get one with a working clasp. That's just the disadvantage that comes with online purchasing when sizing is vital. But a lot of things today are only available online.

For me this harness brings everything I needed, other than the clasp problem. Like I said, all in all it's a good, solid construction. Comes with a handle and front as well as a top loop. The chest part is a little tricky. For Mila I had to alter the chest a little, because it was too wide (not adjustable) and I was afraid that the next smaller size would not fit her girth. I purchased this harness to have something I can put on and off quickly and easily and that does not tug on her neck when I have her playing or exercising on a really long training leash in open field. The added second clasp makes the closure a little bulky. But as Mila is not wearing this harness all the time, it's ok for me. Yet I don't think that everyone would feel able to make that kind of alteration.

The randomly opening clasp sadly can become a major problem, if there's no backup present. That is the only one but major reason why I cannot recommend the harness.
    bullterrierfun-mila-dt-harness.jpg
    800 x 600 - 152K
    I had that same problem with the D&T harness... not only is the clasp easy to disengage, but it is right by the leg-pit  (dogs don't have armpits? do they?)... As you can see with Djamila's photo. her elbow is just about to click it out.... I used to put a tie wrap in and out of the buckle ... You'd think D&T would get that right.
    [ And Djamila would look good in anything, including Anthony's mask]
  • Hmm I like the thickness of that harness and the top handle but the clip troubles worry me. Quinn does pull quite forcefully in her current harnesses, and while she doesn't really move forward when she's wearing her front-clip harness, she still leans into it pretty hard, expecting me to start walking again. (I suspect if I were to suddenly let go of the leash she might fall over! ha) Phil might be right about the elbow disengaging the clip though. Not the smartest position for that I don't think. Both of my harnesses clasps are a little bit further down on the chest. Definitely interested to see if the company gets back to you though!
  • edited December 2015
    The harness is great and with the added clasp holds up well. Without that it would just be unsafe. Sadly no feedback from the company so far. I'll keep you posted.
  • I've had my dt harness for about a month now with no problems with the clasp,seems very sturdy.
  • edited December 2015
    @erikashea
    Happy to hear that! They do make such great products - just that clasp thing ...
    We also habe a DT leather leash - great quality, made to last!

You got the orange harness (the same we also own), right? Does it have the same clasp that oddly does not make ANY clicking sound when snapping in to close it?
  • edited January 2016
    Just a quick update on this harness story:
    I had contacted Dean & Tyler and reported the snap buckle issue.
    First of all I really can't complain about their customer service. My first e-mail seems to have gotten lost, but after my second attempt they were really engaged, friendly and helpful, also coming up with suggestions to solve the problem for me.

As far as it regards the "DT works" - that's the orange harness - they told me that the oddly silent clasp is absolutely normal and intended to make no noise when snapping in.

In general they told me that they have not heard a lot of complaints about issues with unhooking clasps so far. But they offered to do some tests no their products in-house and see, if they can reconstruct the failure.
    Reportedly, they did not find any flaws in the clasps of their products.
    I have tried to reconstruct the problem myself by pulling on the clasp, holding the harness in my hands.
    Neither one of the two harnesses I own - "DT works" and "DT Universal" opened when I did that. In fact the clasps seem really sturdy.
    Dean & Tyler explained to me that the harness should not even open, in case ONE SIDE of the clasp gets unhooked by accident (like for example by the elbow of the dog, because the clasp sits pretty close to it). And it's true, in my own test the clasp did not even snap open with one side of it unhooked.

However it remains true that on Djamila both harnesses do open randomly every now and then. That's all I can tell. I was not able so far to find out how it happens, but I know that she is not trying to open them herself, trying to slip out or whatever.
    Had I not heard about others reporting the same issues, I would think, that only my two harnesses are faulty.
    If anyone experiences the same problem, I can only encourage them to also contact Dean & Tyler and report it.

Dean and Tyler offered to replace my harnesses. But I don't want to do that, because I already fitted the chest of the "DT Universal", added some padding and the safety clasp and honestly I am tired of testing. Maybe a replacement harness will work, maybe it won't. This one right now, the way it is with all the alterations, works for us. And the other one we do not use very often. I will probably just add a second clasp there, too, and that's it.

Regarding the rubbing and chafing of the harnesses especially in the armpits I received the following information: Because the nylon harnesses are pretty coarse and can rub behind the elbows and break hair, Dean and Tyler recommends leather harnesses for permanent use.
    I am using a nylon harness on purpose, because Djamila wears it a lot when wet (playing a lot in the water). So for us nylon is the better choice.

I don’t know where the truth lies, if the "opening issue" is a rare phenomenon on otherwise great products or if it’s something general. Sadly I was not able to figure that out.
    I just wanted to share my findings with you to draw your own conclusions.
    One thing is for sure: If you have any problems with D&T products, you will receive great customer service.