Skip to content

Best Med for Incontinence

Kendall is experiencing incontinence- she has had it off and on since she was spayed.  We are giving her an prescription of  Incurin but it seems to be losing its effect.  In the past, she was treated with DES and it seemed to work, but I took her off of it as I was concerned about its effect on her bones- I read where it could make them brittle.  Does anyone have an recommendation?  Thanks

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm assuming you are referring to "urinary" incontinence.

Does she do this during specific times (i.e. excitement) or does it occur at any time?

I have to admit, I do not have too much experience in this area since I have never raised a Bull Terrier with this kind of issue. However, I have seen many young puppies get real excited when first greeted that would leak urine. But once they got a little older this problem would dissipate and go away entirely.

Hopefully @Leslie chimes in on this subject because she owned an EBT that took medications because she could not control her bladder. Sadly her Bullie passed away prematurely about a year ago due to kidney failure.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It occurs regularly. I'm taking her to the vet to follow up on her skin condition and will ask him his opinion as well.  Thanks for your input.
  • edited October 2015

I do not have any advice on medication for dog incontinence, but maybe a tip to handle the matter until solutions are found.

I have just published an article about a suit for dogs in heat, because I've always struggled with dog diapers during Djamila's heat and now found a far better alternative - a suit for dogs. This suit was originally invented for dogs after surgery, but it also aids treatment of skin conditions, covers wounds for better healing and aids light incontinence problems.
    I have also thought about an effective solution to pad the back part of the suit. Maybe the information in my article is helpful for you:
    Dog Heat suit – a great alternative to diapers for bitches in heat
  • Hello all,

First post here.  My lovely older girl Katie is currently on Proin for urinary incontinence.  It seems to work well (no episodes in over 2 years), and her health is good, based on yesterday's checkup.

Here is more info on it:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Proin-prod10304.html

(not associated with the site or mfr. in any way)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Thanx Mark for the heads up... Welcome here and please send in more posts!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Just out of curiosity..are these females and are they spayed? I am on the fence with spaying and this is part of the reason why. I have heard quite a few people say their dogs have become incontinent after a spay.