Skip to content

skin problem!

so we started noticing some chicken pocks like inflamed bumps on his tummy, then they seemed to spread around him around his body with in 24 hours, to this point he doesnt really scratch him self or seemed faced by it or have any type of pain. we feed blue buffalo dry food, but we are changing to a grain free food. we are not sure what caused this, we think it could be a food allergy or something. he has no lost of appetite. his has his first set of shots, and his due for his second set in about a week. we are not sure what to do. we are scared to shower him. we are worried. im thinking of taking him to the vet. i read some of the post made of skin problems in the site. any input is appreciated! thank you in advanced. here are some pics. 
unnamed (1).jpg
344 x 458 - 16K
unnamed.jpg
344 x 458 - 16K
unnamed (2).jpg
344 x 458 - 18K

Comments

• also he likes to lay down on the floor where he at times has a few accidents a day, he is still getting potty trained, he does good for the most part. any particular dry food brand that you guys have tried? i was looking at acana, royal canin or totw puppy foods. the first ingredients in the blue buffalo is chicken so im wondering if hes allergic to chicken if this is caused by an allergic reaction. 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2015
    Typically they get that off the grass, or some sort of mat/ carpet that they belly crawl on... take note of where he crawls and restrict it... (especially if your grass has fertilizer/ pesticides/ or ants).
    Typically chicken isn't a problem with most Bullies... But I'd try PureVita or Orijien or TOTW, all grain free, preferably with two meats in it (so they don't get too much of one)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Why are you scared of showering the puppy?
    As soon as you notice any excessive scratching, it may actually be a good idea to wash him with a medicated disinfecting shampoo. Only make sure to dry him really good after that, especially under the armpits, in skin folds and between the toes or use medicated wet wipes topically.

Also bathing or washing may be a good idea, if you suspect any contact allergens. For example, if you suspect your lawn to be the trigger and he accidentally flies out to do some grass surfing, washing it off can help easing the reaction to the grass.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Puppy néeds good shampoo and vacuum once a week ... We washed ours every day until they were six months, because we ran them in the wild every morning and if you don't clean off all the "nature" they look like they get early acne.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I didn't bathe my dog much as a puppy and still don't...since she's had yeast problems as an adult I try to keep her dry because moisture helps the yeast grow. My dog is actually back on medicated wipes for her yeast. This is her third round of wipes in the last three years, so not too bad. Her last bath was maybe...two or three weeks ago. Before that it was probably months ago. Bullies don't need a lot of baths unless they are truly dirty. It's not good for their skin, imo. Her feet get rinsed, she gets wiped down with wet cloths or unscented baby wipes, and that's it.

Anyway, I can't really see the bumps in those  pictures, so I could only recommend continuing with the gradual change of food and see if he improves. I did not have luck with TotW, but maybe you will. It's not a bad food. I don't care for Royal Canin. I feed Acana Regionals to my dog now, but Orijen or Acana may have a puppy food that is better suited. There are lots of good grain free foods out there. Poke around online, especially on dogfoodadvisor, and see what you can find.

Also, I used to avoid chicken as well because I have heard of it being a problematic protein in some dogs, however, my dog ended up having a problem with fish. She is fine with chicken.
  • We started feeding Puma Acana a couple months ago and have been very happy with it. Very few skins issues since changing