Skip to content

My latest cartoon hoping to keep dogs from overheating

edited July 2015 in General
Hi everyone.
I've taken the weekend to finally draw again - this time for good purpose: In the light of the recent heat in some areas, I've dug up some interesting numbers on the internet about the summer heat affecting our dogs. Every summer we hear those reports on kids or pets left in overheated cars.
I've been thinking about how to present this topic from our dog's point of view hoping that may be able to capture a little more attention.
Hope you enjoy my drawings and find the information interesting.

please_dont_make_me_suffer.gif
1500 x 1556 - 312K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    @Djammy I LOVE IT!  Wonderful work... it should be made "REQUIRED READING" in every school, every church, every (damned) government and municipal office... if everyone understood dogs ! Totally!, we'd have a much happier world.  (if you email me a hi-res I'll get a bunch of prints made (with your permission) and ask as many public places as possible to post them up..... You do so as well gang!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Awesome....awesome......awesome!!!!   I love your cartoons! They need to be shared with the World!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • A friend in PA has been helping with a booth at a farmers market, and she was saying that people have been bringing dogs and the surface is way too hot for dogs to be stuck standing while their owners slowly mingle.  I'll send this to her, if it's okay, and hopefully this will help.
  • edited July 2015
    Thank you guys for your feedback! That makes the work meaning even more to me!

I've prepared free printable poster files due to request. If anyone wants to let this get printed an distribute it to places where people should be alerted on heat issues, please feel free to contact me for the download link.
    I'd like to have this issue shared as widespread as possible. Even more after your feedback has assured me that this IS indeed a real problem and not just a personal perception of mine.

If the lady from the farmer's market wants to hang out a copy, just let me know.
  • edited July 2015
    She doesn't have a stall at the farmer's market, she was helping a friend.  There's an AMAZING Amish market, and I think that one is in a huge hangar or something.  There must be another one that's more traditional and she started a post on her facebook page about how close she came to telling off some people that had their dogs tied up on the hot pavement while they were browsing.  If you're okay with it, she would probably staple some out and about on a personal crusade. 

I have a different route that I take in the summer when I take Rodney for walks because I don't want him on hot surfaces.  I bought him boots for that purpose, to protect from heat, but instead, I walk on a path totally covered in shade 24 hrs a day that I'd be comfortable walking barefoot. 

How do you want to handle downloads?  I'm thinking this could spread if I put a copy of your graphic or link to it on my facebook page, then friends would share it, and then their friends would share it, etc.  I noticed it has your link on the bottom of the graphic, so that's good.
  • edited July 2015
    We’ve tried several pairs of dog boots until we ended up buying the Ruff Wear Grip Tex Dog Boots for our former dog Fancy, because of her allergies and the very spiky road in front of our home. It was hard to find fitting ones, but the Ruff Wear boots are really great!

Thank you for wanting to share the message against overheating of dogs!
    As for the online versions, feel free to share it any way you like, the image in this discussion, the link to the entire discussion or my own blog post about it. In my blog post at the bottom the image can be shared directly via Facebook, twitter etc.

For the print files I’ll send you a download link. Feel free to give the file or link it to anyone you believe will support our efforts.

Also anyone else who wants to have the files for a poster print can contact me anytime. I’ll be happy to share them for free.