Skip to content

Belly rash on 4 month old puppy! Pics included!

Our puppy Zeus started getting this rash on 06/19/2015. We started giving him medicated baths and it still worsened (SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Medicated Shampoo and Top Paw® Itch Ease Medicated Dog Shampoo). We took him to the vet on 06/29/2015 and she prescribed him Cefpodoxime antibiotic for 2 weeks for generic "skin infection" diagnosis. The medicated shampoo just made it more red, I'm not sure it was even helping. After the first week there was no change in the rash so on 07/06/2015 we stopped with the medicated baths, then added Benadryl, ResQ Organics Pet Skin Treatment Cream, and a t-shirt so he would stop making it worse from scratching. It healed completely by 07/13/2015 and all treatment was stopped. It just started coming back tonight, I gave him a Benadrly, his cream and t-shirt again to nip it in the butt.

We live in Palm Coast, Florida. Zeus enjoys eating ants and trying to dig up ant hills (we always stop him but he still tries), rubbing his belly on the grass and cement (we just moved in on May 1st and have not treated the grass with anything), he is currently eating CANIDAE® Life Stages Chicken Meal & Rice Formula.

Philsergeant saw the pics yesterday and suggested switching to a grain free food. I have been looking at http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ but have not picked one to try yet. Open to any suggestions.

Any tips on treating this or narrowing it down would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
6_19_15_rash.jpg
1024 x 2232 - 447K
7_5_15_rash.jpg
598 x 1063 - 254K
7_6_15_rash.jpg
598 x 1063 - 265K
7_7_15_rash.jpg
598 x 1063 - 245K
7_8_15_rash.jpg
598 x 1063 - 244K

Comments

• Here are the last of the pictures.
    7_9_15_rash.jpg
    598 x 1063 - 263K
    7_10_15_rash.jpg
    598 x 1063 - 237K
    7_13_15_rash.jpg
    598 x 1063 - 231K
    7_20_15_rash.jpg
    598 x 1063 - 229K
  • Hmm, doesn't look like the bumps that my girl got when she was in Florida. I had kind of settled on the conclusion that she was bitten by fire ants/red ants, but her bumps looked different than what your boy is showing here. So if my dog was indeed bitten by ants (which we had quite a few of) then you might be able to rule that out as a cause. Unless it manifests itself differently... For what it's worth, I treated hers topically with antibiotic ointment.

Maybe one of the Floridians can chime in about pesticides. We really don't use them much here on our grass, but his chest definitely looks like some kind of allergic reaction. He was looking much better though!! Hoping it doesn't come back.
    Also I still want to blow raspberries on that belly is that weird
  • edited July 2015
    What snacks do you give him also switching to grain free food will help in the long run I'm in the uk and I know some people use I little cream that babies use for nappy rash sudocream its called also sulphur can be helpful
  • Thanks for the input! I am switching him to grain free food. Right now he has a wide variety of snacks, I will change his snacks to grain free only as well. This is my first summer in Florida so I have a lot of research to do about these nasty insects!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Is it me or does it seem like a trend lately with Bull Terriers from Florida getting stomach rashes?

Switching him to a good quality grain free will be very beneficial for him. However, I thinking there's something he is laying down on that is creating a bad reaction. Unless, you are taking him out to different places there really aren't too many places he could laying down. Cleaning agents for the floor in the home, carpet cleaning or powders, fertilizer on the grass outside, insects, etc.  It's very hard to say what his ailment is without truly watching where he lays down.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Steve, we have a “horribly” hot summer this year. I think heat (sweating etc.) is definitely a factor contributing in skin ailments, not only in dogs.
    I remember several members of this forum reporting skin issues of their dogs last summer all at about the same time. Can’t quite remember when exactly that was, but it was nationwide.

Living in Florida I can say that pesticides are a factor here for sure. Every “grass surfing” on our lawn would be followed at least by a quick wash-up in order to make sure, there are not pesticides causing any rashes. That’s already standard for me here, no matter if issues are currently present or not.

To me the rash in this puppy does not look much like bites, rather patchy than single spots. The crusts are from itching, I assume? Looks a lot like allergies. On the other hand bites can also trigger allergies. But this pattern would need a LOT of biting in my unprofessional opinion.

In our former EBT Fancy flare ups seemingly occurred during special seasons - with her it was autumn as I remember. So we first pinned the symptoms on seasonal changes in vegetation. However, we found out later that also here in Florida quality of nutrition seems to be a far more important factor.

Ruling out causes can be time consuming and may not even lead to answers.
    But I am meanwhile convinced that a balanced immune system is capable of dealing with contact allergens a LOT better than a weak unsupported/ undeveloped immune system, as often present in puppies, old dogs or dog on malnutrition. Therefore nutrition is so essential, even if the allergies are not triggered by the food.

Our health literally strives or suffers through our guts. The same is true for our pets. If the nutrition is balanced, skin problems can still occur, but the body will be far better able to fight them on its own and supporting medical measures have a far better chance to help quickly.

As for the current symptoms: It’s very important to keep the patches disinfected, clean and dry. Make sure his favorite places are also clean and dry at all times. If you suspect detergent as the trigger, use something mild like this especially formulated for pets
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Remover-32-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B0002ASLMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1437492944&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+cleaner
    or even just water to frequently wash his blankets and clean his places etc.

I can only subscribe to the grain-free-switch recommended before.
    Besides the grain there’s also a chance that your dog could be reacting to the chicken in his food. If that kind of allergy is likely would only be possible to estimate, if more of your dog’s nutritional history was known. But in case you have reason to believe it could be a trigger, trying something else such as beef, fish etc. (still grain-free) would also be an additional option to rule triggers out.

In general I’d strongly recommend adding supplements to boost a strong immune response, such as Salmon oil, NuVet and yoghurt (to support the gut flora, possibly stressed by that round of antibiotics now).

As for Florida in particular, like said before the heat and humidity in the summer are a factor that doesn’t exactly help when rashes occur. Neither are the different ants, bugs, mosquitoes, fleas etc.
    Make sure you have your dog on good flea, tick, heartworm and other worm control. Because these are all factors that can contribute to skin ailments (flea bite allergies e.g. or intestines weakened by worms)
    But I guess that’s something the vet has already discussed with you.

Normally I’d recommend a trip to one of our beautiful Florida beaches in the evening when the sun goes down, because the saltwater usually is a very good natural healing aid for skin rashes. Yet, lately I’ve heard some reports about bacteria in the water and recommendations NOT to bathe with open cuts etc. We have that every now and then here. Of course the summer heat also provides the optimum basis for bacterial growth in the waters. So, before you consider doing this, make sure to check the news for such beach alerts.

It may take a while to get to the core of the problem. But until then everything mentioned in this discussion (topical disinfectants such as ointments, wipes, washes, shampoos etc.) is very useful help to at least manage the symptoms.

The remedies you’ve tried are good products. However, if you found them to be too harsh you can try other things, like Epsom Salt soaks for example (note: stings in open wounds in higher concentrations, so not too much of it).
    Also something to spray on, such as SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Spray for Dogs and Cats may help to keep the disinfecting effect up a little longer than a rinse
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z6VLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

As long as you have not found the cause it’s very important to continue with the comparatively mild home remedies, such as keeping everything clean and disinfected and examining your dog frequently for bumps or yeasty spots, smelling the paws and watch for excessive itching.
    These can all be signs before you even notice a breakout. And that’s a good starting point to countersteer as long as you dare still looking to find the exact causes.

Even if no symptoms are present I bathe Djamila 2-4 times a month during summer - using something disinfecting every time and change her bedding frequently. Because especially in the summer months I usually notice some yeasty buildup between her toes, on belly and in other spots.
    She is in the pool daily now, so washing-up after that currently happens automatically - and is no problem with mild agents especially designed for dogs. I do not use shampoo every time. But I disinfect common problem spots such as belly, genital area and between toes during the hot summer months.

If things develop into to unnoticed sores opened from scratching and then inflamed by infection that will only lead to another round of antibiotics. So it’s important to avoid it coming to that point, if in any way possible. If only relying on antibiotics and medicated shampoo once the rash is in full control, that can lead into an ongoing cycle of on-off antibiotics. They may help for the moment, but they still only fight symptoms and not the allergies (core problem) and they have rather harsh effects on the entire health in the long run, because of stressing the guts, resistances etc.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    Some ask "how does heat cause rashes"?.... well to be frank I don't fully understand the mechanics but this is what I believe:... Humans have pores, intermixed with hair follicles.... All pores lead to sweat glands and, if our skin is not "clean" our hair follicles can clog up as well as our pores and lead to rashes and acne type inflammations...  essentially, "backing up"..  Dogs don't have sweat glands, only a shyte more hair follicles than (most of) us humans.  When it's hot they may not sweat, but, depending on their overall wellness and diet they "excrete" and oily, or protein choked, excretions can lead to hair follicle clogging and serious rashes, encrustations and scabbing and thereby hair loss (This "brilliance" all from an electronics engineer with bugger-all medical experience), That's why, IMHO, in FL at this time of year we have such a challenge... We wash the kids with medicated shampoo at least once a week, wash all their bed clothes, car clothes, pool lounger towels, the works, every time we wash them (that's one shyte load of washing, believe me).... And we manage to keep them rash free... But if we didn't we'd experience a lot more rash, encrustations and hair loss  Also we have to keep them off the grass and out of the bushes for any "extended stays"... we also have a crap load of poison ivy around here and it's a bugger keeping them away from that.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I have been reading all these discussions and these are the changes I am in the process of making:

Currently transitioning to Canidae Grain-Free PURE Foundations Puppy Formula. I might try out taste of the wild or arcana next.

Starting to add grizzly salmon oil today. Waiting on Nupro gold and braggs apple cider vinegar to get here.

I bought hypoallergenic laundry detergent, shampoo and wipes. I washed all his bedding and toys. I have been giving him a bath weekly and wiping off his belly and feet every night before bed.

His rash is almost cleared up again with a nightly Benadyrl, topical cream and t-shirt.

We were giving him gelatin to help his ears come up. Should I keep giving him this? Does it have any benefits?

I noticed he has a little bald spot on his right shoulder. I took a picture of it today. He lost his bottom canine tooth today too! Maybe he will get something good under his pillow tonight from the tooth fairy. He will be 5 months old in 2 weeks.

I just want to say how awesome this website is! It was helpful reading through all the nutrition and health sections. I never knew about the dogfoodadvisor website. It made me look up my cat food and wow she was eating some low quality food! That is what they were giving her at the rescue though.
    rash_7_24_15.jpg
    747 x 1328 - 342K
    rash_7_26_15.jpg
    747 x 1328 - 391K
    baldspot_7_26_15.jpg
    1328 x 747 - 432K
    canine_tooth_7_26_15.jpg
    633 x 428 - 136K
    zeus_profile_7_19_15.jpg
    1328 x 747 - 323K
  • I almost forgot. I took a picture of the backyard. My husband and I were talking about having someone come clear out the brush between the trees (we just moved in May 1st). Zeus doesn't go in there much but he has before. Who knows what could be living in there! Sometimes branches fall off the pine trees when it storms and he loves tearing them up. Somebody mentioned pine needles being a possible allergen. Any thought?
    backyard.jpg
    1328 x 747 - 658K
    That's the perfect backyard for an awesome Mom like you to give this gorgeous pup. He is going to do you so proud... thanx for all the loving care.  You'll be getting it back 5 fold! Keep up the Knox Gelatin until his ears are nice and stiff. I guess you'll be putting your wings back on to sneak in with the under-pillow placement tonight. Once he settles on a good food the "spots" should go away... If he does well on the Candiae don't change him to the others without cause... Keep posting please.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • My lad roman had bad skin while taking gelatine and cottage cheese I stopped added a little sulphur and touch would all cleared up does the rash starting coincide with the start of using gelatine
    That's a real nice backyard run for ANY Bull Terrier. Don't worry about the pine needles. We have hundreds of pine trees on our property and none of our bullies are effected by them.

346 Coston Rd (25).JPG
    1037 x 778 - 540K
    346 Coston Rd (23).JPG
    1037 x 778 - 494K
    346 Coston Rd (21).JPG
    1037 x 778 - 488K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    @Steve... yeah, but not all of us can live in paradise.... (for now anyway).
    @Phil - When I'm cutting the grass for hours upon hours I'm not exactly picturing myself in paradise. Maybe my Bullies are because they're enjoying 50 acres and two ponds with no chores or responsibilities but not me. Maybe one day when I hit the lotto I can get a landscaper so I can go fishing! Until then I guess I'll remain busy daily with picking up fallen sticks and burning debris.
    I think if people took a glance on the hour meter on my mower they'd say "Are you serious?" I guess it's all about country living.  ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I had thought that pine needles were a cause of bumps on my bullie, but we ruled them out and I assumed they were bites. However, my dog has gotten into fallen pine branches before (they were great fun) and she came out with TONS of sap on her. That was one of those days I was happy to have a short-haired dog. Sap might make the skin red, but I don't think it should cause a rash. Something to look out for though.