Skip to content

Limping after waking up

Hi all, im after some advice before the expensive trip to the vet. For the last few weeks upon waking vinny has been limping in his front leg but after a few minutes he is fine. On a few occasions ive taken him for a walk and hes been so stiff that he walks funny for a few minutes. Its quite worrying. He looks like an old man yet hes only 18 months. My girfriend thinks i over do it with him on exersise but he mainly dictates how much we do. Most days involve a 6km bike ride through the forest with him running alongside me. Sometimes he lools tired but then will see something and tear off so i think they are good at looking tired when they are not really. Especially if he knows were heading home his whole energy changes. Im very concerned about this limp tho. It doesnt seem to bother him while were out and he still pulls like a train in the harness so what should i do. Obviously the forest runs are off the cards for a while. Ill just take him round the block on foot. Im wondering if expecting him to keep up with me on a fast bike trip for 6 km is to much??? He aint no husky.

Comments

• If he’s were only limping for three days now, I’d probably wait, just reduce the exercise a little and see how he does.
    But as you mentioned you are already watching your dog limp for weeks, thats definitely reason enough to have it checked out, IMO.
    No matter if it’s just a pulled muscle or something in the joint, when he starts walking and running, it will “warm up” and hurt a little less. Once he calms down and has rested the pain will probably return to its full scale. Everyone who’s ever had a pulled muscle knows how that works.
    Also, and even more importantly, Bull Terriers have a very high pain tolerance. Some even continue running and playing with a broken toe (my dog did) and only start to suffer a LOT later.

So, the reaction of your dog sadly very likely is not a very precise indicator of how much pain he’s really in.
    Also if he continues playing and running, that does not necessarily at all mean that everything is ok.
    It could actually make things worse. Bull Terriers tend to get carried away and overexcited. In that stage, despite one would think they do, I believe that many of them do NOT have a “natural exhaustion or injury barrier” to prevent them from over-exhausting themselves.
    If allowed, some of them would literally jump and run until their heart just stops.
    Although Bull Terriers have a high requirement for exercise, the continuous exercise may actually have stressed his joints or muscles a little. And maybe just shortening the trips or switching to short distance exercises such as running after a ball, may do the trick.

But I would still have it checked out, in order to prevent permanent joint damage, for example, and make sure nothing got partially fractured unnoticed or so.
  • edited July 2015
    I totally disagree with your thinking that BTs look more tired than they really are.  In fact, the complete opposite is true in my experience.  My BT has energy that doesn't stop, and he looks happy.  If my BT looks tired and I keep forcing him to run while I pedal at a fast rate on a BIKE, I don't think that would be letting him dictate when enough is enough.  I wouldn't be pedaling fast on a bike while I make my dog run to keep up...and it wouldn't be on asphalt...it wouldn't be for 6km or 10 km...and it wouldn't be when he's kicking his legs up in pain.

You started the below thread over a month ago.  So, have you taken your dog to the vet yet?  According to you, he sounded like he was ALREADY having some issues then.  According to you, he sounds like he's still having THE SAME AND MAYBE WORSE issues.  You wrote how your dog kicked its legs in pain as you sat on a bike and pedaled at a fast pace on asphalt.  You wrote that your girlfriend told you that it was too much for the dog.  All of this over a month ago.  You haven't taken him to the vet yet?  Now, you're trying to get advice before taking him for an "expensive vet visit?" 

How about you run on asphalt with your bare feet for 10 km, because after a month, let's use your logic and assume that your feet will have to have toughened up enough after a while. 

You write that you let your dog dictate when enough is enough, then you write that you think BTs look more tired than they are.  So, if he's looking tired as you wrote, then perhaps he has dictated that he's tired, along with you acknowledging that he's in pain walking and you make him go for a 6 km run while you are sitting on a bike pedaling fast. 

What in the world does "He aint no husky" mean?

Really?  You haven't taken him to the vet after he's been presenting pain for over a month? 

If you really want the answer to the question if 6km is too much, tie yourself barefoot to the bumper of a car and let someone get into the driver seat and then floor it while you run along trying to keep up, and of course, it will be completely up to the driver to dictate whether you have had enough?

Sore feet

Hi guys, does anyone have opinions on weather your bull
    terrier is in pain walking on different surfaces. Vinny seems to walk
    very gingerly over my gravel driveway like hes walking on pins and he
    always tries to run on the grassy sides of the road when im out on the
    bike. He seems fine on asphalt and we frequently do 10km running in the
    forest and hes fine. When im on the bike and hes running he seems to
    kick his back feet up as if in pain. Its almost like he is running in
    hot coals. Hes 18 months now so his pads must be toughened up enough to
    take it, but im not sure if running on asphalt is good for his joints."

Limping after waking up

Hi all, im after some advice before the expensive trip to
    the vet. For the last few weeks upon waking vinny has been limping in
    his front leg but after a few minutes he is fine. On a few occasions ive
    taken him for a walk and hes been so stiff that he walks funny for a
    few minutes. Its quite worrying. He looks like an old man yet hes only
    18 months. My girfriend thinks i over do it with him on exersise but he
    mainly dictates how much we do. Most days involve a 6km bike ride
    through the forest with him running alongside me. Sometimes he lools
    tired but then will see something and tear off so i think they are good
    at looking tired when they are not really. Especially if he knows were
    heading home his whole energy changes. Im very concerned about this limp
    tho. It doesnt seem to bother him while were out and he still pulls
    like a train in the harness so what should i do. Obviously the forest
    runs are off the cards for a while. Ill just take him round the block on
    foot. Im wondering if expecting him to keep up with me on a fast bike
    trip for 6 km is to much??? He aint no husky.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    Bullies are best suited to cool weather and soft, cool surfaces.  Even if the beach sand is warm, mine are not interested in playing. They will run for hours on the cool golf course greens in the early morning or evening. I never exercise them during the heat of day. There may be some breeds that like heat, but I've never known them. Bullies are not lazy but they know their likes and limits.  Maybe those robot Toyota dogs keep going and going on a hot road.

They are "English" Bull Terriers, not "Egyptian" Hounds.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • On June 8th, the OP wrote this:

tazmaniandeviltazmaniandevil

Hi guys, does anyone have opinions on weather your bull
    terrier is in pain walking on different surfaces. Vinny seems to walk
    very gingerly over my gravel driveway like hes walking on pins and he
    always tries to run on the grassy sides of the road when im out on the
    bike. He seems fine on asphalt and we frequently do 10km running in the
    forest and hes fine. When im on the bike and hes running he seems to
    kick his back feet up as if in pain. Its almost like he is running in
    hot coals. Hes 18 months now so his pads must be toughened up enough to
    take it, but im not sure if running on asphalt is good for his joints.

On July 18th, the OP wrote this:

tazmaniandeviltazmaniandevil

Hi all, im after some advice before the expensive trip to
    the vet. For the last few weeks upon waking vinny has been limping in
    his front leg but after a few minutes he is fine. On a few occasions ive
    taken him for a walk and hes been so stiff that he walks funny for a
    few minutes. Its quite worrying. He looks like an old man yet hes only
    18 months. My girfriend thinks i over do it with him on exersise but he
    mainly dictates how much we do. Most days involve a 6km bike ride
    through the forest with him running alongside me. Sometimes he lools
    tired but then will see something and tear off so i think they are good
    at looking tired when they are not really. Especially if he knows were
    heading home his whole energy changes. Im very concerned about this limp
    tho. It doesnt seem to bother him while were out and he still pulls
    like a train in the harness so what should i do. Obviously the forest
    runs are off the cards for a while. Ill just take him round the block on
    foot. Im wondering if expecting him to keep up with me on a fast bike
    trip for 6 km is to much??? He aint no husky.

Therefore, over a month ago, the OP stated that the BT was already gingerly walking, as if he was walking on pins and hot coals, and kicking his leg as if in pain.  The first comment is from over a month ago, which indicates that the situation has been going on for way longer than a month now.  Has the BT been to a vet about this?

It's not weeks, it's months according to the OP. 

• Ok for starters the feet kicking thing he only does every now and again and he hasnt done it for a while now, secondly, he does dictate the pace at which we ride because usually he is sprinting, on soft forest tracks!!! Off the lead so he can run at any spead. I only go fast because he does. And when i say that he only looks tired on the home stretch thats because i know he doesnt want to go home. He digs his heels in on every walk as soon as we turn back. The reason i havnt taken him to the vet is because he seems fine otherwise. Its not like hes sprinting for 6km!! Hes off lead. He does what he wants. Sometimes hes so far back that i cant see him then i stop and he catches up. We even stop for a swim. Do you go running to the doctors with every ache and pain?? I dont think so. Im going to rest him and see how that helps, if it doesnt ill take him to the vet.
    And as for not being able to run a bull terrier for 6km, i disagree completely. Ok they arnt endurance dogs but they are still dogs. Naturally much fitter and designed to run. I have a friend who jogs 10km with his french bulldog and the dog does it with ease because he is fit and has worked
    Up to it. Vinny is 28kgs and lean, not a 40kg couch potatoe like some ive seen. 6km is nothing for a dog. I dont neglect my dog.
  • And before you jump on my "hes so far behind i have to stop and wait" comment and say its because hes tired, i only have to do this because hes either chasing a deer, decided to go for a swim or has found a patch of dog wee that he wants to sniff for 30minutes. I would never keep going if i thought he was in pain or looking super tired. He loves to run.
  • I wouldn't want to walk over gravel barefooted nor would a dog he might be trying to get on the grass as the floor outside can get very hot I've seen photos of what damage walking on a hot pavement can do
  • Please stop being defensive and delusional.  Take your dog to the vet ASAP.  We don't care what you think or how you feel.  We care that your BT gets proper care and gets it right away.  Please don't come back here until you can report back about what the vet had to say.
  • Delusional!!!!! Are you for real. I was looking for some advice, not to be spoken to like that. You jump to all the wrong conclusions with out knowing all the facts or me or my dog. Ive had plenty of great advice from this forum. You are the first person to really let it down. I consider your remarks pretty insulting to be honest. If thats the kind of attitude a genuine question gets i wont bother asking again.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    @tazmaniandevil .... Please let's all calm down..... There will be now and then when one members' opinion clashes with another's experience, but don't take that as the stance of the whole forum community. We all want to help cooperatively and rationally. I realize that "text" is often not as communicative and understanding as the spoken word. There will be occasional cases where misunderstanding pervades. Please continue to give us constructive and logical feedback as to Vinny's condition and we will all help as much as we can.  We know you love Vinny, you can't help but love a Bullie.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Right on.  Hoping very much that what the vet says is positive, because as @philsergeant says, "You can't help but love a Bullie."
  • I have had limping concerns with my bullie before and have posted about it in these forums. I believe I titled it something about an old injury, but honestly I'm too lazy to look it up.

The basics of my dog's limping was that I would take her to parks pretty frequently and she would run and run and chase balls etc etc, and sometimes the park would have hills and sometimes the park would not. But it seemed that she would be totally fine, showing no signs of distress, not even heading back to the car. But after we got home, after she had relaxed a while, she would begin to limp heavily, and sometimes I would have to carry her up and down stairs because she was reluctant to move. When the limping happened, I would not let her play for a few days. We'd go back, try playing again...and sometimes she would start limping again and sometimes she wouldn't. I just always rested her. I never took her to the vet to be evaluated.

I have not seen Quinn limp in probably more than a year. So most of her limping was done at an age of 3 or younger. You might want to reduce the exercise a little bit just because dogs do grow past the age of 12 months. And there is a great possibility that Vinny could have an old injury he is aggravating and he needs a couple weeks down time. As stated above, Bull Terriers have a high pain threshold. We've been through broken bones, ripped nails, dog fights, wasp stings... Once he grows up and solidifies, I'm willing to bet that you will see the limping decrease or disappear entirely. 

Don't be discouraged. People get very defensive of their dogs, as they should. But having seen a lot of other forums and Facebook groups, you're unlikely to find one as sensible and as informative as this one. Hang in there and I hope there is good news for Vinny.