Skip to content

Just WOW to this injury!

My husband found this on the internet. As there has been some "paw" related discussion here lately, I just want to share this in case anyone ever encounters anything similar. Plants can be pretty hurtful.
What I find so alarming is the fact that the extend of this injury is barely noticeable by visual inspection. Looks like that could cause a lot of pain. Not a Bull Terrier here, but I guess still interesting.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's scary to know something like that could really impact the health of a dog. That infection spread all the way his leg. Poor guy must have been in a lot of pain.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Wow!  We know God created all nature, but one can't help thinking that the devil had something to do with that bastard thing.  I've seen them, not around here though, does anyone know where they are prevalent?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • A quick google visit revealed that it is very wide spread - Europe, America China, India... - sometimes wild, sometimes cultured.
    Have not seen anything like that in Florida so far. I guess in farming areas with corn fields it's probably most likely.
    Not the only "aggressive" plant around. I have plucked giant thorns out of Djamila's paws here that had worked their way really into her skin just by her walking over a broken twig.
    As fragile as nature often seems, it sometimes is pretty well-fortified.
  • I have seen things that look similar to these in Kentucky, mostly stuck in dogs' fur. Kind of like burrs or thistles. I have never really know what they are until now and had no idea they could cause something so serious. Usually they are easy to just pick right out of the fur. I should clarify that I've never seen one of these clinging to Quinn or a short haired dog, usually in long hair like a lab or shepherd.

I have picked out thorns and even a bee stinger out of Quinn before. I'm thankful for the short hair. But somehow I still feel like I'm drowning in dog hair. :|
  • I’ve read that Bull Terriers are counted moderate to light shedders. If that’s true, what the … does a Husky, Collie or Chow Chow shed? Complete hairballs??? 

I have the same feeling, the BT's actually shed quite a lot for my taste, even when completely healthy and not subject to huge temperature fluctuations (dramatic season chances or something).

I like to run around in the house on my bare feet. Every now and then one of the harder dark hairs manages to work its way into my sole like a splinter. Surprisingly, that really hurts! Took me a while to figure out what I’m dealing with. :)
  • Dogs that shed like Huskys or GSDs are complete nightmares in my opinion... I love Bernese Mountain Dogs and Greater Swiss Mountain dogs, but the ones I have visited always left me with a new sweater and tumbleweeds of black hair blowing around! I'm not a good enough of a housekeeper to manage that... :-\"

I could probably get Quinn to shed less if I took a curry brush to her. I always say I'm going to buy one but you know how things go
  • Just a silent nod to that "housekeeping thing" :):)
    Those tousled dogs - cute, but not the ones for me.
    I once knew a women owning an english sheepdog. She brushed him daily and collected the hair to actually spin it into dog wool yarn. She made scarfs and mittens of it! :)