Skip to content

never been so scared for sophie ever

edited June 2015 in General
Where I live I either have the farm land next to me or in the other direction 3 minutes in the car I have the beach well about a week ago me and my friend decided to go to the farm where there is loads of land for the dogs to run free when ever we go threw the fields where the cows r all dogs r on the lead till we climb the gate to get into the next field then we let them off she never pays any attention to the cows any way but just to be safe I keep all dogs on leads then we decided to go into a next field still checking that no other animals r in there we couldnt see anything after a few minutes walking bang we came across a heard of sheep so we managed to grab them and get them on leads all I'm calling sophie but she's just standing there so I've run over to her to grab her as she was not responding to me one bit now she has a sheep a metre away from her she's now gone into the down position the sheep turned to run before I had a chance to grab her she had gone I was screaming and screaming for her to come I didn't know if she was going to attack these sheep I was trying to chase her but I could not catch her there was too much land she was covering .it was bloody all full all I could picture was a farmer coming out and shooting her the drive in her was unbelievable she just would not stop there was so many sheep charging around I'm still trying to chase her get near to heras they was all running about next thing I know all the sheep r running towards me I'm trying to see sophie by this time ten minutes had pasted of chasing screaming I was terrified I could see her at the back running to the left of me I yelled again but still she would not stop so I ran as fast as I could and I literally dived on top of her in a ruby tackle my heart was in my mouth we both just layed there she was totally exhausted all I kept thinking was thank god my dog is alive she didn't want to hurt them but by god did I crap myself I got the lead on her and she couldn't move I was dragging her to get up but I had to just let her lay down for 15 min to get her breath back I will never take her to the farm again because that was so bad I just wanted to cry and the fact that she was in pure drive mode I had no control I thank God she didn't want to attack them but she won't be getting the chance to ever do that again .

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    What a story! Sounds like you both had one heck of energetic day. I'm sure you both will sleep well tonight after all the exercise. Sophie was probably overwhelmed with so many Sheep in one place. I can hear her now, "Look at all these long haired Bull Terriers that came out to play with me!"

That must have been one heck of an experience that you won't forget for the rest of your life.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It was a week ago now lol I will never forget it maybe she did pmsl but I never want to relive that again ...
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It's not just Bullies... Most dogs will go into hunt mode when there is so much prey around... You always have to be concerned that a deer of fox or armadillo or squirrel or raccoon or possum show up as they randomly do ( around our house anyway) but if we are taking them anywhere " wild" we always hitch them to 50ft ropes that give them good range to have fun, and chase a thing or two... But always allow you to jerk them back to reality when the unexpected occurs. I'd go and shit on that careless farmer and tell him he is meant to tie a bell around each of their necks so you are not surprised :)) Either that or take BoPeep with you next time... Glad everything turned out okay and that you didn't actually end up running all the way home to wash your undies!!! Bullies are such fun huh!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thank God all ended well.  Rodney got off of the leash one time due to carelessness on our part...at 2 am when we were quietly going to walk him in the block outside of our house in the middle of the night.  He takes off and starts going under the houses, so my husband is sneaking in yards going under houses.  Dogs started barking to alert their owners, and if they looked out, there's my husband in a baseball cap sneaking quietly in their yard.  I thought for sure someone would pull a gun and shoot him without realizing he was looking for a BT on the run.  He would have looked like a burglar.  It is awful to think a loose BT might end with either the dog or a person getting shot, but stuff like that does run through the mind during moments like that.  Soooo glad it ended well for you, as it did for us that night.
    @exiled ... "Under" the houses?  Where do you live? on the west coast of Florida where they have all those houses on stilts due to potential high water? or on one of those futuristic planets where everything is stylized?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Hahaha! I live in New Orleans (in the middle of the city) and flooded 8-10 feet after the federal levees broke, but my house had brick piers that were about 2-3 feet tall.  It was basically a crawl space underneath.  Inside, we got around 6 feet of flood water for months, so we elevated it about 7 feet (the entire 18-ton house) and while it was on hydraulic jacks, they built a new foundation (29 trucks full of cement), then lowered it onto the new foundation and walls, then continued to create a 3-story home instead of the 2-story home it used to be.  It hasn't been quite that simple, though.  This has been an ongoing renovation for several years, and probably another 10 years to go.  We've hired structural engineers and have home movers from across the country that worked on this.  It was the largest/heaviest elevation.  We had original 100-year-old chimneys that my elevation contractor amazingly kept intact during the elevation.  It has been a real labor of love because I've hired craftsmen from around the world to renovate it historically correct to keep the lime plaster, old heart pine, windows, wavy glass, etc.  Several people tell me it's like a castle when they're working on it or visiting.  I could go on and on and on.  I know so much about construction now and historical societies, etc. 

My neighborhood has a national register of historic places designation, so most of the homes around me are exempt from the elevation requirements since we're in an historic district, so a bunch of homes still have the piers like ours originally did.  Most people seem to have chosen not to elevate.  It's not stilts, just a crawl space of about 1 1/2 - 2 feet for access to plumbing, etc. 

It's far from futuristic, lol!  It's like the late 1800s here.  :)
  • I know all I could think is she is going to get shot as farmers have the right to I look back and laugh but at the time I was frantic.
    All's well that ends well!  Glad she is safe and you didn't have a heart attack! (Farmers should not be able to shoot dogs unless they are a threat to human life.... He'll know when to shoot the sheep when he wants a lamb stew, for sure.  It should be considered murder when it's just "protection of property rights").