Skip to content

Balding tail

Hi does anyone have this problem(see pic) where the tail is going bald. I no about the bald spots in the head which he had and then cleared up but this is a new one on me!!
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• edited June 2015
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    This question has come up several times in the past and you'll probably find many other discussions on this topic within this Forum.

There are 2 scent glands on a Bull Terrier - one one the top center of their head and another on the base of their tail.  These glands during adoloscent ages can often become problematic unless your Bullie has a strong immune system or is being provided a good supplement.

Many people refer to the bald spot of the tail as "Stud Tail." I've seen many people on social media asking about this problem and having a lot of responses with "that's normal and don't worry about it because it will eventually go away on it's own." Yes, it may go away on its own with maturity but it will go away a lot faster with a helpful supplement that can boost the immune system.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited June 2015
    Rosco has it, he takes his NuVet supplements every day and I have tried putting coconut oil on it to no avail.  I think he has high stud genes at this point, he loves to hump his blankies, lol.
    :D
    @RoscosMom - It's been a while since I've seen a Bullie in person with stud tail. However, a few months ago I heard about a remedy that someone told me about that swears it works for stud tail. They told me that if you rub iodine on the bald spot it will solve the problem. I have yet to have the opportunity to experiment with this remedy and mention it in hopes that you or @tazmaniandevil give it a try and report the results.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I also have seen this a lot in the social media.  Especially in the UK.  I had no idea a weak immune system could cause this.  Great info Steve, thanks!
  • Thank you @BulliesofNC I am going to try that.  We have literally tried everything and he really does have a bad case of "stud tail".  He looks great everywhere else but that is one area that we just can't seem to get under control.  We are pretty sure that his vet will want to prescribe some kind of steroid which we don't want so we have been trying to find more natural solutions or hoping it resolved itself as he got older but it is still there.  I am going to try the iodine right away and will report back with how it works!

Please let me know how it works out.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC, update on our earlier convo, we gave him a good bath and put some iodine on his stud tail just in case that was what was bothering him (maybe from the chlorine?) and he is hopping around with his tail higher than it has been all day.  Fingers crossed that it is somehow related to that.   I will keep you posted.  Unfortunately, it was a little difficult to get it applied ONLY on the bald spot so now he has an iodine stained tail almost to the end, lol.  If it solves the problem we will deal with that issue later.  Thanks for the heads up!
    LOL, I can see that happening as most Bull Terriers don't even like their tails touched. I'm glad he's improving. Rosco is as tough as nails and I'm sure he'll be just fine. I'm very curious though as to the results of the iodine because I had someone swear that it would solve the problem and I have yet to get the opportunity to try it out.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It worked on Lokis bald head spot but we've slacked on applying it to his tail. His hair has grown back on his head. It's still a bit thin but looks a million times better.
    Awesome, that's good to know.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • So far so good @BulliesofNC ,he is acting fine now for the most part.  Earlier he acted as though his tail was bothering him here and there and would start to chase it just a bit until I corrected him.  I applied the iodine again, this time he stood still and let me do it and he hasn't acted like his tail is bothering him since.  It has been about 5 hours now.  We might be on to something, I sure hope so, that stud tail is an eyesore so it would be amazing if this took care of it once and for all.  I will be very diligent in applying it so will report back on how it works.  He clearly has a stubborn case of stud tail so maybe it will help others down the line. 

I am leaning towards the chlorine as the issue that he had the other day with his tail.  It was really bothering him but once we bathed him and made sure we washed that area really well then applied the iodine he improved quickly.  We also gave him one of the dog buffered aspirin's to reduce the swelling a bit but haven't given it to him since.  He is back to his energetic self today
    @-)
    That's great to hear. I really hope to hear positive feedback on that iodine remedy. Most people's cure is time because everybody will explain that it does go away in time with full maturity. However, I'd rather take care of it now because, just like you say, it's probably an eye sore especially on such a gorgeous Bull Terrier.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I was told stud tail is caused by blockage of glands near the base of the tail and head. So keeping the problem areas clean seems to do the trick. It's been used to treat fungal infections. Make sure to clean the area first before applying the iodine. You don't need to apply it every day either. We applied it only a few times and the spot on his head and most of his tail has cleared up and hair has started growing back.
  • Hi all....I am so very grateful for the information on this site. Kaizer is beautifully built and will be 2 years old in Dec 2015. Thanx to you all, I also now realise that he has a " studd tail". he chases his tail at rediculous length and nothing could stop him (not even food). Actually, he never really tried to catch it, but rather just chased it untill i had to literally get hold of him and hug him until he calmed down. I thought he was just getting hold of his tail and that was the reason for the hair loss. Im going to give the iodine a try tomorrow. I actually came here looking for information on liverspots and IF they could be cancerous.....and now I have answered both questions. Thanx guys (from Kaizer as well). You guys ROCK! 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Ag! Another South African! Too lekker!  We are building quite a following over there! Wonderful and welcome.... I hope we can be helpful.... Mostly we just cry and laugh on each other's shoulders... But if there is something specific please shout out... and please post photos... (I know iodine isn't too great on white dogs, but what can you do, it helps.  Try Johnson's baby powder if you are going out and about. Agename kennis!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.