Skip to content

Sore feet

Hi guys, does anyone have opinions on weather your bull terrier is in pain walking on different surfaces. Vinny seems to walk very gingerly over my gravel driveway like hes walking on pins and he always tries to run on the grassy sides of the road when im out on the bike. He seems fine on asphalt and we frequently do 10km running in the forest and hes fine. When im on the bike and hes running he seems to kick his back feet up as if in pain. Its almost like he is running in hot coals. Hes 18 months now so his pads must be toughened up enough to take it, but im not sure if running on asphalt is good for his joints.

Comments

• Vinny
    image.jpg
    1836 x 2599 - 575K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I too have a couple Bull Terriers that avoid the gravel by going around and deliberately walking in the grass. I think that they are like us in many ways and if they aren't used to walking on rocks or gravel they will be slow and easy about it. For others who are used to it, they won't think twice and tromp over rocks at 100mph. I'm sure the more they are forced to walk on gravel the more they'll get used to it. However, if you got one like I do (Deuce) they'll go around the obstacles that cause discomfort if they have an easier avenue.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That's because Deuce is just a Princess!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    For some reason Deuce isn't like 99.9% of Bullies in that she is so delicate and gentle. She's Never hyper or amped up. She's never even in any rush to do anything. She's so well mannered and lovable at all times and we raised her no different than our other clowns.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Yeah, I know... royalty are just that way... nothing to do....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited June 2015
    Yeah, it’s funny, although the BT feet are usually pretty rough and callused they can be pretty sensitive, too. Visitors often struggle with Djamila’s “sharp claws”, while I keep telling them her claws are well groomed and blunt as a spoon and that it’s actually the callused skin on her feet that is so scratchy.

One would think that protects the BT’s pretty good from spiky grounds, like gravel, spread sea shells etc.

Funny though, that not only spiky grounds are and issue sometimes, but heat, too.
    Back when Fancy was still alive, I ran into our neighbor some day when walking Fancy and she had something really interesting to tell.
    It was a hot Florida summer day. We had stopped in one spot and were talking for a few minutes when I noticed Fancy lifting her feet one after the other over and over. I took me  a moment to realize this poor thing got her feet burned on the hot street! It is funny now when I remember her lifting those feet. At that time I felt terribly sorry that I had not been more careful.
    I quickly went inside and cooled her feet. Luckily she had not suffered any injuries.
    I later got her red dog shoes - which even enhanced her popularity among people - because of her allergies to protect her often sore feet. That also solved the problem of walking on the hot street during the summer months.
    I found a picture of her shoes. She did not particularly love them, but she got used to wearing them during walks.

Djamila currently spends 1-2 hours each day in and around the pool, throwing her ball in and chasing after it over and over. This seems to soften her feet so much, that she is walking “on eggs” when we go outside on that spiky street in front of our door for potty. 
    When I first saw that, it looked like something was wrong with her hips, because she was walking so oddly. It really gave me the chills until I realized her feet are hurting.
    The other day I even had to carry her, because she simply refused to make it back home on her own down that spiky street. On the grass everything seemed to be ok again. I have tried this street with my own hands and bare feet and I have to say, I can totally understand that she is having some problems. It is really spiky and gets really hot in the summer. If I had to walk on it with my bare feet, I would not do one step.
  • BTW our BT girl turned two today and she says she's not only big, but COOL now! :)

mila_birthday.jpg
    385 x 580 - 60K
    Happy Birthday!!!!   <:-P

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • What a COOL chick!! Happy birthday to Djamila!! Quinn has the same issue as Djammy, with her nails being well groomed and her paws being very scratchy. I often warn people about it before they step in because Quinn has no manners and I just kind of gave up trying to teach her... :-\"

Seems Vinny must just have some sensitive toes. Hope it's nothing more serious!!
    Happy Number Two Djammy!  You cute little monster!  I hope your sponsor sent you a nice big BD Cake!  (I've met you and I know your secret sponsor is Red Bull!... not Nike)
  • Oh yeah! She can fly! :) Djammy says thanks for all the birthday wishes.