Skip to content

Taping our new baby girl Bella's ears.

So, I took our Bella to a Vet Hospital that is well know in the area for taping Doberman's ears.  Had Bella's ears taped this morning.  After picking her up I am concerned.  I will post pictures, and appreciate any advice.  I think there should be a 'piece' between her ears, and additional tape going around BOTH ears to ensure ears going up rather than out.
IMG_6174.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 641K
IMG_6176.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 482K
IMG_6172.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 463K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited June 2015
    I've seen Dobies with those ears and am amazed that they manage to keep the tape on at all.... But I am willing to bet (sorry, British expression) a pound to a pinch of shit, that Bella won't stand that for more than a few hours.... Totally wrong, they are not cut Dobie or Schnauzer ears, they are full ears that can't be wound that tight.... If it's not off already I'd take it off and follow the copious guidelines on the site here on how to tape.... Poor baby!!! And get your money back from the vet down at Ringling Brothers.
    And yes, there must be a bridge holding them into erect position and keeping the right spacing.

P.S. I just blew up that photo of Bella at the Vet office, wow, she is looking fabulous!   You know our girl's name is Isabella, right.?.. and her predecessor was Bella Donna.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If you tape the ears this way it will trap moisture and heighten the chances of infection. The ears need to breath thus the reason for the hollow cardboard tampon applicator. Air needs to be able to go in and out. Additionally, taping the ears isn’t just for getting them to stand but also to get them to stand correctly. Many people will tape their Bull Terriers’ ears even when they are standing in order to get them to stand correctly. What I mean by this is they need to stand so they are straight up. Ideally the ears should look like the letter “U” not like the letter “Y”. If you wrap the tape over your Bullie’s ear so that no air can get in and out it will cause problems. You also need to form a bridge from ear to ear so the ears are trained to stand straight up instead of up and off to the sides.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you Steve.  I will retape today and start her on Knox Gelatin.