Skip to content

Playful bitting

My girl doesn't know how to play without biting. Her playmate, our 6yo lab, loves to play with her but I am noticing sores on her muzzle from Puma biting her. I pop her on the butt and tell her no bite, I stop her and give her a toy to bite, but she always returns biting. It's not fair to Bell and after awhile tries to go placea that Puma can't get to her. I'm also afraid Puma is goin to do it to another dog and they are going to think she is being aggressive. I think she plays that way because that was how the other dogs played prior to us rescuing her. Any advice?

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I remember you have been here before but can't recall how old Puma is, and whether you have had any other type of behavioural or disobedience issues with her.  Bullies always typically "bite" as part of the play routine and even (for eg.) our two need to be stopped when they get too rough, not because they will ever get carried away, but because they could cut, tear or graze something, just while "having fun".  But Puma has to be taught where the line is. Apparently your Lab doesn't have the domination to tell her "nuff is nuff", so you are going to need to step in and let her know in no uncertain terms that this must stop. Meaning a "pop on da butt" isn't enough, you are going to have to show (pretend) some desperate emotion and climb in as if your life depended on it so that Puma realizes you "ain't gonna take her s**t no more".... She wants to please you, she must totally believe you are not going to love her for six months if she doesn't stop instantly.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • From my many trips to dog parks, I see two kinds of puppy owners -- those that think their dogs are made of glass, and those that think their dogs need a kick in the ass.

The first kind are usually the ones that are way too overprotective and think that any large dog that is happy to play with their puppy is attacking it. Often these people will pick up the puppy, and this usually makes the puppy even more appealing and other dogs will then jump up and bother said puppy more.

The second kind are the kind I prefer, and typically their puppies are very playful and usually a bit obnoxious. Thankfully most of these owners understand that these puppies do need a "kick in the ass" from other dogs, as that is how they learn. You bite me too hard? I bite you back. There was a young Goldendoodle that was repeatedly biting Quinn while we were playing fetch, and eventually Quinn snapped and went after the puppy. Unfortunately for the puppy (and to my embarrassment) Quinn was REALLY pissed and was very aggressive...but that puppy never bit her again. I'm happy to report though that this puppy is now 3 times taller than Quinn and they are still friends... :)

Now after all that yammering, point is, you have to teach young dogs lessons. If your other dog will not correct her, that's the older dog's problem. If your BT pup is causing the dog to yelp or other obvious pain, then you step in. It's your job to protect the older dog. You should probably also create a safe space for the older dog to retreat to until the pup matures a little bit...those teeth are sharp! I would also recommend a time-out spot for the pup -- BTs do not like to be separated from fun things or their humans. I would put Quinn in a bathroom by herself when she misbehaved. And any fights or aggression in the dog park always saw her immediately removed. You must be very firm! I was told I had a "mama" voice around my dog...lol it's true! But when she hears that voice...she knows what she did!!

Step up, take charge, set some rules and boundaries. Puma will mature and learn in no time. :D
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It's coming back to me now... Puma is about 2, right? Whatever happened to her pregnancy?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yes she is 17 months, it ended up being a false preg 2 xrays and ultrasound later, she is now fixed
  • Thank you all for your comments, greatly appreciated
  • I definitely would not tolerate any form of play full biting of any kind towards humans that's a no no .@cdonoho
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Nope, NO BITING. It may be cute as a puppy but it's a bad habit and as they get older it isn't cute. Right now she's too old to even consider nipping or biting even if she's doing it for fun.  I suggest using the "Pin Method" every time she decides to bite. She needs to learn it's wrong.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Raider is still "Gnawing" at 6 months old.  I pin him then when released, he's at it again :-/ .  He'll eventually learn.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    He'll learn, he just might be a little more hard headed and determined than most Bullies. 6 months old is still very much puppy stage. Try startling him a little with a very quick "NO!" and coming at him quickly. This will catch him off guard and send a sudden message of displeasure from you. I'm sure there will be a lot more "No's" and "Pinning" to be conducted before he finally decides that the repercussions for his negative actions aren't in his favor for getting the love and affection he'd prefer.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com