Skip to content

Addison's Disease

I lost Reba to Addison's disease last Monday. She was not yet 5 years old and it was devastating. Addison's is very hard to diagnose properly, but I think it may be becoming more prevalent in bull terriers. I'd like to share the symptoms so you can point your vet in the right direction, if your bully shows any signs.
- Loss of appetite *
- Lethargy
- Walking with "hunched" back (abdominal pain)
- Vomitting
- Shaking
- Diarrhea, possibly bloody
- Excessive drinking or refusing to drink
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness
As these symptoms can come and go, and not all affected dogs display all symptoms, Addison`s is considered very hard to diagnose.

Three weeks ago, Reba was a happy healthy almost 5 year old, crazy, hucklebutting fool. We ran out of her regular food and ended up switching it. She ate fine for a day or 2 and then starting eating just a tiny bit, or refusing it all. I figured she didn`t like the new food so we bought another kind. Same thing all over again. We went through 3 different brands that way. I thought she was just being fussy and spoiled but I started to cook for her. When she refused roast chicken, we went right to the vet. She was getting lethargic by now too. The vet did a routine exam, bloodwork, and xrays. Ruled out all obvious causes. No blockage, no temperature, no pyometra. Kidney values were slightly raised but vet said that was due to dehydration. She was given IV fluids and precautionary antibiotics. I brought her home, but by morning, Reba seemed even worse. Back to the vet for another round of IV and antibiotics. She ate!! Perked right up and almost ran out to the truck. I thought she was on the mend. Vet also sent home 2 days worth of an appetite stimulant. It helped, somewhat, if I handfed her crap canned food. Then she quit eating AND drinking completely. Within a day and a half, Reba couldn`t walk or even stand and she`d had bloody diarrhea sometime overnight. Her kidneys were pretty much shut down. It was too late to save her.
Please don`t let this happen to you. If the vets rules out a blockage, but your bully won`t eat, please ask for an Addison`s test!!

**Lack of appetite is key. Reba had no vomitting. No diarrhea until the last night. She did have abdominal pain, weakness and occasional shaking.

Reba.jpg
621 x 621 - 47K

Comments

• @Rumour sorry for your loss, she was a gorgeous bully.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @Rumour .... I feel for you in ways you cannot imagine.... Unless one has lost at least one Bullie, one can never begin to understand... I often say that it is "easier" losing family members sometimes.... and people think I am callous ... But Bullies are more precious and dependent and loving.  Thanks for the background.... I pray it doesn't need to help anyone... but it's good to know.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thank you both for your kind words. Unfortunately, it was me that asked about Addison's after reading about another bull terrier's symptoms on a forum. I've since learned of 2 more. Either it has usually been misdiagnosed (as kidney failure?) or it's becoming more common?
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Sorry for your loss.  Thanks for the Addison info.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that :( I had a dog die of this as well when I was younger, and it was also myself who researched it and brought it up to the vet. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone.
  • Oh so very sad to read about Reba.  The more we love, the more we mourn.  Wish there were words to make this huge loss less painful, but there are never words that can help, just time. 

Even during this sad time, you are honoring Reba by informing us all in hopes of helping others.  We never know, it could be one of our bullies that are saved in remembrance of sweet and beautiful Reba.  Rest in peace, lovely Reba. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That is so sad and I can only imagine how devastated you and your family are. It utterly shocks me that it never crossed your Vet's mind that Reba may be showing signs of Addison's Disease.

Stress is often a leading cause for this disease although I'm sure it can be hereditary. Another reason why I am so adamant about maintaining healthy immune systems with my Bullies by providing them with a good daily supplement.

My heart breaks for you Rumour. I hate hearing about the loss of any Bull Terrier especially those that were well cared for and loved.

RIP Reba.

More on Addison's Disease:
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/addisons.aspx

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks everyone. I was disappointed in my vet at first too. I try to keep in mind that he'd never seen it before. Hopefully this info will help someone else catch it in time.
  • My heart breaks for you, I know the sense of loss must be tremendous. Thank you so much for taking the time amidst your grief to share what you have learned. I will tuck it back into my mind and hope I never need it.
    Peace to you.
  • @Rumour I am so sorry for your loss it bought tears to my eyes reading this I've never heard of this condition but will take it on board so thank u for sharing my heart is breaking for u but we r all here to surrport you threw this sad time Reba was so beautiful RIP my darling thinking of u .