Skip to content

Sophie has become incontinant

A few weeks ago I started to notice wet patched on my sofa I just put it down to sophie licking her paws that made it wet then one day she was on my lap asleep when I leg became warm so I got up and she had peed on my leg I thought it strange as I hadn't noticed her going a pee more than normal which would rule out a urine infection so I left it a few more days and nothing then it started again so I got her straight to the vets I explain that she did drink alot but she always had and maybe she was just leaking so I had to get a pee sample well that was fun running around after her in the morning try to put a container under to catch well we got one they tested her for diebiets kidney and liver urine infection and checked that she was breaking down all proteins every thing came back clear kidney all works fab so now I have to give her drops in her food 3 times a day till it stops this should take ten days then gradually decrease the amount slowly there called propaly syrup my vet said this can happen in bitchs that have been spayed I've never had this problem with any off my female dogs before and she was spayed well over a yr ago has any one had this problem I have to wash her bed every day as when she's asleep on it threw the night by the morning it's wet threw I'm upset this is happening to her as she not long turned 2 and still a baby .

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Probably a "nick" that occurred at the time of her spaying and she doesn't feel a thing or knows that it's happening, like a small leak.... Hopefully it heals but I can't see any medicinal solution ... have you asked the vet (that didn't spay her) whether there is any small operation that could be possible.?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • She's not aware that it's happening I thought the same about a nick during the op but it's started to happened a yr and a bit later wouldn't it happen after the op I'm at the vets tonight with presious I'll ask to see if there's anything that can be done apparently these drops tighten up the bladder .and if they don't work there is something else .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Good luck, hope there's a solution, let us know.... By the way!!! Congratulations to ALL Brits for making the brave and correct choice yesterday! Long live the Queen!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I just watched a video that @philsergeant posted again and I'm really pissed that sophie has this problem because she was spayed I'll definitely be thinking twice now about getting precious and chaos done why do vets say get them done when It can cause a whole lot of health problems she's only 2 and has incontinence the drops r not making her better so I don't know what to do .do I try more or try and get the op that can be done pulling my hair out .
  • The op is not guaranteed to work. Have you tried a med that helps strengthen the muscles around t h e bladder to help with leakage such as proin?? Im so hesitant to give you that advice but it helped Cleo. Kinda:(
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • It helped keep the leakage to a minimum anyways. I have some doggie undies i will send you you can try???
  • This is what these meds r meant to do strengthen it all up xxx
  • @leslie I've been doing some reading up on this and never realised it can be a big problem I don't want to bring back heart ace but is this why cleo had kidney failure because of her incontinence I don't know the full history on cleo this is why I'm asking don't want to cause u any upset xxxxxx
  • I dint really know anything about this issue all I know is its caused by being spayed I wish I never had it done but vets advise to do it cause of cancer etc after watching a link that phil put up to all the health risks of spaying and neutering I won't be doing it at least if I do they will be around 6 yrs old I fill so sorry for sophie she's so young .
  • Cleo was a genetic mess from birth she had urinary incontinence, corns on her feet and a slight heart murmer that i was told was not a concern as it was so mild. I dont think the proin killed her but it surely didnt help her kidneys as meds like those and expessially that high of dose are damaging over a long period of time. The meds just contributed as well as many other issues. No heartache because if i can help someone else with my experiences with Cleo reliving it is well worth it. I spayed Cleo at 6months their now saying 1yr to allow them to mature a bit more but i just think incontinence picks it victims and how were we to know. I am sure like myself you were trying to be a good dog mom. Me too!! Sooo dont blame just accept treat love and hope for the best. I was told and well aware the proin would be hard on her kidneys but it was really my only option to help control the leaking. Wich stinks and stains their fur along with couches chairs beds ect...no easy choice but one that dont come with many options :( poor Sophie give her and yourself big hugs cuz ive been their and theirs no judgement or good answer to solve this :(
  • Thank u Leslie for your help yesterday up until midnight last night she went threw 3 beds so I had no beds left so I put a towel on the sofa this morning it it was dry I not sure if this stuff is actually making things worse at the mow she's has to be on it for ten day then slowing wean off it I will just have to see how she goes I will give her big hugs from u xxxxxx
  • The meds take a bit to get into the system and start working. Take a pair of kids underwear and cut a hole for the tail. Place a pad in their for the leakage. She will leak more when shes at rest. The whole thing sucks its not only expensive but its never ending cleaning. Hang in there! X
  • If you can get ahold of some the blue chuck pads or puppy pee pads work as well. Put them down and then cover them with a blanket. This didnt work for me because cleo would dig at her bed before lying down but if sophie dont dig before lying it will work.
  • @leslie she dogs sometimes so I'll get some pads a try the was soaked with in 20 min this morning I put her put alot to pee I'll have to put her out more I've been crying cause I'm so upset I went into the vets like a raging bull this morning telling them a out what I'd seen on a video link about spaying but no vets was there so I'm affaid the nurse was on the receiving they advising u now to spay dogs even before there first season I checked she was just over a yr when I got her done as I was concerned about the bone development being done earlier I'll get some of these pads and I'll cut some kiddies nickers and see if she will keep them on the nurse said there's lots of things that dogs can get if not spayed that they can die of thank u for your help Leslie I don't know if I coming or going with this at the mo and yes it's endless cleaning xxx