Skip to content

Too many snipey head Bull Terriers

Lately I'm seeing more and more litters of Bull Terriers advertised on social media that lack proper head and muzzle structure. What amazes me is that many of them depict pedigrees that don't look bad at all. Even the sire and dam of the litters look like good quality bull terriers. Now I understand that you can breed a gorgeous stud to an equally gorgeous dam and it doesn't necessarily mean all the puppies will come out looking like they are going to be the next show winner. However, it also doesn't mean that they will turn out looking like they were adopted. Normally a litter between two well structured Bull Terriers that come from equally nice Bullies within their 4 generation pedigrees produce good looking puppies.

Now a days I can't help to wonder if people are claiming the correct parents on litters produced when I see more and more frail looking puppies with skinny heads.

Here's an example of a puppy I seen today advertised today on Facebook that comes from a breeder in Mexico. You don't have to know much about the breed to notice the small snipey head and "pig jaw." However, looking at the pedigree of the puppy (which came from a white sire and red dam) it's puzzling to wonder how this Tri-colored puppy lacked the volume in his head and muzzle that's visually seen in both parents as well as the reputable UK dogs within the sires side.

I'm not critizing the puppy or the breeder (which I haven't mentioned) but I just thought I'd share my thoughts with you as I take note of the development of Bull Terriers I see more and more of today.

snipey head with a Pig Jaw.jpg
960 x 720 - 43K
misc ped.jpg
960 x 722 - 105K
Heads.JPG
519 x 574 - 64K
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• I've just taken some photos of sophie and I think she definitely has a pig jaw she has a undershot jaw too precious has a complete different shape face and head to sophie but I love them unconditionally anyway trying to get a photo of her teeth one handed is not easy lolimageimageimage
    20150503_220402.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    20150503_220744.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    20150503_220728.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
  • edited May 2015
    Rodney is how I like BTs to look.  Personally, I think he's perfect in every possible way.  Time after time, experience has shown me that genetics are more like a prediction than a guarantee. 
    rodney 20.jpg
    786 x 986 - 62K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Rodney is a movie star!  I love that "serious" look.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited May 2015
    Rodney thanks you for the compliment, Philsergeant.  He's an amazing BT from Bullies of NC, as you probably remember. 

Genetics, what a wild and crazy trip that can be.  It amazes me with the sets of twins in my kids' classes at school how identical some are and how totally opposite other sets of twins are...I mean TOTALLY opposite.  Genetics (humans, dogs, cats, etc) is extremely interesting in how predictable it all can be, and then bam! comes along something from out of left field.  It is still surprising to see the pig jaw on a puppy from two parents that don't seem to have that, though.  Is it safe to expect that the puppy that Steve posted a picture of to have puppies with a pig jaw?  Or likely to have a jaw like the parents?  Even possible to predict?  If so, I hate to say it, but I hope this puppy doesn't breed.  I'm a perfectionist, though, so I never expect everyone to agree with me.  Is it a recessive gene? 

@bigbear1tracey Precious is so adorable!  I could hold her day and night.  It looks like she's extremely comfortable in such a short period of time.  Rodney is a rescue, too, and it's like he blended in our family like he had always been with us.  They know when they've gotten to a forever home, a really loving forever home.  You're probably scratching your head like I was, wondering how anyone could not have felt like Rodney or Precious dropped from the heavens, such perfect companions and family members.
  • Can't decide which shape head my Solo has but I know it's as hard as a brick :))
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    edited May 2015
    That's what you call a  "Brickhead"
    :((
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @philsergeant yes Solo is affectionately known as ''brickhead'' I know nothing about perfect heads and perfect bites,her perfect character and temperament is what I love her for :x
  • edited May 2015
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • I agree about too many snipey pig jaw heads.  There's some less than solid breed standards that I've been seeing, too.  I don't breed dogs, and haven't shown dogs, but I still see it on my limited level.  I like this breed for their strong, beefy build.  I love this breed because of their attitude.  Anything like a pig jaw or cow hocks or limp tail or ears or soft body mass, it's just not right for this dog.

Rodney goes for walks a minimum of three times a day, and when the other dogs bark at him, even if it is inside of a house and he's the only dog on the sidewalk at the moment, his big powerful head is up like he's taking a picture after winning Westminster, ears at attention, tail out, and he's showing off his rippling muscles with a jaunt like he is a Lipizzaner stallion.  He is ON all of the time.  I hope breeding never leans towards a snipey head or weaker features. 
    This is me walking Rodney, hahaha:

Thank you to those that breed with integrity.  Brickheaded bullies are wanted and loved!

As far as the pedigree issues that have become part of this thread.  I don't know how much you paid for your dog, but I think a dog that is sired by a champion would be quite a lot of money.  I don't know any of the breeders, obviously, but how could there not be ledgers or required records maintained by official kennel clubs? 

In ALL areas of life, it's important to remember that just because someone says something, it doesn't make it true.  That's not directed at any one person, just a tip for less strife in one's life.
    walking.jpg
    800 x 597 - 96K
    edited May 2015
    @Gypsy123 .... I don't know.... That's a tough competition you've got going there ... For "Who's the fairest of them all" competition... difficult to decide between those two beauties... Eeny, Meany, Miney, Mo.... I don't know... Okay, I've made up my mind... SHE is!