Skip to content

Sensitive neck

Our girl Puma is now 16mo and we rescued her in Jan. Having only owned labs this has/is a learning experience. She came to us with horrible skin issues/yeast and open sores from being bitten by other family dogs. We have her skin under control after oral meds, bathing with special soap, mother's vinegar(which I still use) and multi top of the line food that we finally found Acana that she will eat.
My newest problem is that I bought her a new collar and within 3 days her neck reaccted horribly. Since then we no longer use a collar and only a harness when walking her. The issue is that (as you know bullies are very mouthy when playing) puma and my 90lb female lab love to play/wrestle and both grab each other with their mouths so Puma's neck seems to stay very pink. They do not fight and never break the skin. After watching many videos of bullies playing this type of play is normal. How do I get her neck to clear up?

Comments

image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • edited April 2015
    Hello @pumagirl my sophie always suffered with her neck I found by keeping the collar off her in the house as it was very sore and the collar also rubbed all her fur away which never grew back me personally would stop them grabbing each other round the necks with my dogs I found that kind of play hyped them up to much where It was instigating it turning into something more I've taught them to play gentle and calmly no neck biting at all and no sore neck .
  • Thank you. Since the reaction we have stopped using collars and only a harness when walking. We have tried redirecting when playing and giving her a chew toy as an alternative but she is so full of energy
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Puma is still very young. She most likely has been through a lot of stress with skin problems as well as dominant dogs. All the stress she went through is enough to weaken any dogs' immune system which can lead to many health issues including skin problems. You've only had her a few short months and I'm sure she's already improving due to being in a better environment. I recommend you giving her a supplement that will boost her immune system which I think will greatly help her overcome the skin problems.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We have been giving her a probiotic/immune booster twice daily for 2mo now. She is scheduled to be fixed on Wednesday. Her false preg sym have resolved. We recently were on vacation and wanted to make sure we had more time to be with her for recovery. image
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Well that's a great photo of her and from the picture her skin doesn't look too bad. Additionally as she ages her immune system will naturally become stronger especially now that she's in good hands and provided a proper diet as well as adequate exercise. Give her some time to fully settle in and with each day you'll soon see great improvement. I'm confident in due time there will be no need for medications.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited May 2015
    She is doing well. We had her spayed yesterday and opted for the laser procedure so her recovery will be quicker.image
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • What an adorable girl. :) I'm so glad she's found you so she can get the proper care she deserves.

I have never made my dog wear a collar inside the house. The only time she wears one is on public outings, and even then it's very frustrating for the both of us because the collar causes her to itch. The underside of her neck has "tickle spots" that give her shaky leg, and she'll be trying to walk while hopping on 3 legs trying to scratch, and it makes walking around in public rather difficult... So we are pretty much collarless over here.

Maybe if they are playing rough and leaving slobber all over her neck, try wiping off her neck with a clean dry washcloth or even using an unscented baby wipe to clean it. Could be causing some irritation. Otherwise...i dunno! :-?
  • She is beautiful hope she doing well .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @pumagirl ... I was interested to hear about the laser spaying... Was it expensive..??? I really never knew that could do that procedure with laser... How does it work?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • They use a laser rather than a scapel that is cauterizing as it cuts. Decreases bleeding and supposed to be less post-op pain and quicker healing. It cost us $233 not including pre-op bloodwork we elected to do $60
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Still requires sutures though, right?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    edited May 2015
    Spaying done via Laser Surgery:

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com